main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which do you think you would've preferred?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by I Love Star Wars 94, Dec 26, 2021.

?

The Sequel Trilogy we got or George Lucas Sequel Trilogy?

1. Disney Sequel Trilogy

11.3%
  2. George Lucas Sequel Trilogy

80.0%
  3. Disney Trilogy but replace TROS with Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates

8.8%
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I wanted an entertaining film, that's a fact. TFA was awful. TLJ I was able to find somewhat enjoyable even with "Reylo" elements.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Hell are the three choices in this poll.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually liked TROS the best of the three; without the suck-face and slobber scene at the end, it would have been a near perfect movie.

jaimestarr likes this.
  4. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think it's such an odd thing, because it feels to me, like a lot of characters stories in this movie is basically just declaring their character's stances at the end, when they reached them already basically, as a characters, by the end of TFA, to me. I feel like Kylo is really the only one takes a physical step in, at least, his direction change, not really much emotionally (he still keeps on doing what he was doing before), but moreso in placement and, maybe, ambition. Rey, I feel like is given not much change to go on in character, much, Poe's mostly where he was at the end of TFA, with the suggestion, maybe, of him leading (I don't take much issue with this, even though I think it's weakly done, as I do view Poe not having a lot as a character being on TFA), and Finn, I feel, is backtracked on so he can get to, and then as a new step declare, a stance against the first order all over again.

godisawesome likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s a bit like TLJ wanted to soft reboot the characters back to the same spot as in TFA, but with little addendums attached to change them significantly.

It’s the clearest characterization changes that make the set-up for the Disney ST different from what any single-creator story would do.

2Cleva likes this.
  6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes the damage had already been done in TFA… it created characters without any real function and purpose (primarily to tick boxes). If you think Johnson was an innocent bystander, that’s your prerogative, but please don’t try and project your opinions onto me.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Abrams at least had a view checkboxes that it seems like neither you nor Johnson actually shared as priorities, though, particularly regarding Rey, even if you wouldn’t make the same mistake Johnson would.

Like, neither of you seem to particularly care that much about Lucas’s female main character actually being the main character and focus of the story; again, I don’t see you making the mistakes Johnson did, but ever since you made that hypothetical “switch the roles, make Rey the villain and Ben the hero” idea, I also don’t think you can analyze why Johnson screwed up the way he did.

There are types of functionality and purpose for the characters that you’re not seeing, the same way Johnson didn’t see them. Abrams *did* have them in TFA, but the POV that LFL, Johnson, and you share about them doesn’t acknowledge them, at least not immediately. You simply aren’t enamored with Adam Driver the way LFL and Johnson were, so you remain cold, while they give into the biases and prejudices.

Rey, Finn, and Kylo all *do* have characterizations that see them function as POV characters where the heroes are opposed by the villains in a logical, classic dramatic manner for TFA as a stand-alone story. You’re right that those don’t immediately align with the larger Skywalker Saga around them, but just because the alignment isn’t there doesn’t mean the characters don’t have functionality… and it especially doesn’t mean that any sane person is going to make Kylo the main hero.

Your specific inability to connect with the characters in TFA isn’t unique…. But it’s also not endemic to complete failure in TFA to make a story that does connect with more people, or else it wouldn’t have clearly done that to a significantly greater degree than multiple other Star Wars properties. LFL’s inability to truly connect with characters and events of the ST after TLJ also isn’t unique… But that’s also much more endemic to TLJ, since by its very nature there is no functionality, and more importantly, what functionality there was is being retconned away.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So if he’s not an innocent bystander—why do you think it was impossible for him to take TLJ in a different direction than he did? Why do you think his hands were tied in writing Rey Nobody, Sidelined and Demeaned Finn, and a narrative that says you’re “WRONG!!!” if you are not part of the “everyone” who can relate to Kylo? I’m not buying any “But TFA made me!!!” excuses that he might make.

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont think I can answer this based on the lack of confirmable evidence of what the storyline of the Lucas ST would have been.

10. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Based on what Lucas said of the sequel trilogy in the prequel archives book, I would definitely have preferred his version. Darth Maul and Darth Talon, Whills, Luke training new Jedi. Just that it would have been Lucas would have given it an air of authenticity. The OT and the PT feel like they're part of one generational story. The Disney ST feels completely removed of that.

Count Yubnub, wobbits and RetropME like this.
  11. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    Darth Maul? In the Sequel Trilogy? Aren't the OT and the PT about two generations?

12. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Darth Maul was going to be like the Palpatine of Lucas' ST. You didn't know? And I meant that the OT and PT tell one cohesive story of generations.

RetropME likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Do I think it was “impossible for him to take TLJ in a different direction”??? Where did I say that exactly? That Johnson made creative choices that didn’t appeal to you, me or GIS, isn’t really the issue (IMO), as plenty of other people seem to like those choices regardless of what we think… but that he (Johnson) effectively had to make choices that Abrams *should* have made in TFA, but failed to, is the root of the problem.

Finn is a cheap comic foil in TFA. He’s the butt of the joke. He’s the one that is consistently slapped down and cheapened. Johnson certainly doubles down on that ‘demeaning’ of the character, but it’s Abrams who chooses to demean him in the first instance, and makes nothing of the concept of a renegade Stormtrooper (and then triples down with Finn’s wholesale lack of function in TROS). Rey and Poe are bland characters, with little inbuilt utility and function… which is what often happens in a paint by numbers job. Kylo Ren is a poor facsimile of Anakin/Darth Vader, but without the function. Snoke and Hux are poor facsimiles of Palpatine and Tarkin/generic Imperial. And whilst it would be true to say that Johnson failed to make these bland and thinly drawn characters and situations ‘better’, the bland and thinly drawn characters and situations are as a result of the absolute creative vacuum in TFA.

wobbits and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    At the very least, I think Finn had a potential function and purpose laid out before itself by the end of TFA. Rey may be debatable, considering the movie is a more vague about her structure as a character. But based off of where she was left off in TFA, I think an interesting story of her actually dealing with her abandonment issues and such would work strongly, to me, as a continuation of TFA's structure for the character. Poe, I think isn't given much. But that doesn't mean that TFA ruined the trilogy or whatever.

15. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't think that's accurate. Finn has his moments of comic relief, but he's also given more than a couple instances of pathos and story drive. Losing fights doesn't make him slapped down or cheapened. Not doing enough with it doesn't automatically equal what TLJ did with the character.
    Rey may not have a lot, but I think she has a structure. Poe, yeah he's not given a lot as a written character. But some would suggest that the movie before it having bland perceived facsimiles, doesn't justify or automatically equal what some may see as essentially taking what little the characters may have had already and instead of following through on that, either backtracking and/or undoing and/or defusing it.
    Though a villain journey could be suggested to be the character's function. Personally, I think him taking on a further main villain role works as a concept for TLJ and a potential continuation of TFA's story. But I think it wasn't strongly written. I think that's on TLJ.
    Making it better, to me, isn't as much the point, more furthering, or at least continuing, what little I think they may have had. I think the movie did it lesser than TFA, in the directions of characters. Hux may be a variation on Tarkin, but I'd suggest he's more zealot like than Tarkin was, and I think TLJ takes that and goes "he's an idiot joke", while Snoke is essentially just shrugged off as less of a dramatic haunting figure and had be more generic, yelly and dumb in some of his choices.

16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Finn had function within TFA, which was to rescue Poe and get the rebels onto SKB... which is where the concept of him being a renegade stormtrooper kind of starts and stops really. As with most of Abrams' situations/characters (and we see this in his Star Trek films too), he blows his wad way too early (primarily because, IMO, Abrams is all about the surface and not the detail). Finn is neither given the internal conflict to suggest he may want to help his comrades (assuming that the other stormtroopers are victims of the First Order too)... which would lead to the hypothetical stormtrooper revolt we've discussed on these boards. Nor is Finn regarded with caution from Poe, Rey, Leia etc. which could set up further drama after TFA. Instead, Finn is the lovestruck, comedic sidekick. This is why Finn the ex stormtrooper, as a concept, is *good*, but how that concept is written/shapped (throughout the entire ST) is *bad*.

You're just more forgiving of one over the other, because you have an automatic preference for one over the other. I could quite easily apply your first sentence to Jar Jar Binks (no offence Jar Jar), but we all know Jar Jar's main function was that of comic relief.

What you're describing is the bare minimum for a film to work at its basest function. If there were no structure at all, TFA would consist of several characters just stood around wondering what to do next for the duration of the film. Even the Ewoks films have a modicum of structure. This is more about how characters are written to show a modicum of depth beyond the absolute minimum, to be given a story or characters traits that present opportunities for progression and development. Similar to Star Trek 09, TFA doesn't really offer that at all. In terms of Rey, Abrams and Kasdan spend more time telling us who she isn't, rather than telling us who she is (all part of the mystery box crap)... which is (IMO) a fundamental and very basic writing issue that lies at the heart of TFA, and the wider ST..

TFA is *not* a 'villains journey'. For it to be a 'villains journey', Kylo Ren would first have to be written/constructed as a character who was not a villain, but becomes villanous (or more extreme) over the course of the story. For a recent example, look at Joker... or a more 'classic' example would be something like The Godfather 1 & 2 (in terms of Michael's story). Pretty much the first action of Kylo Ren, in TFA, is to slice an old man in two and order the execution of the 'innocent' inhabitants of a village/outpost. Kylo Ren is clearly the villain of the piece. However, this doesn't conflict with the notion that Kylo Ren is written as a character who is conflicted. There is of course some crossover, but a 'villains' journey is typically used to convey the idea of a character descending into villainy (for whatever reason), rather than them just doing one bad thing after another. The only film of the ST that tries to suggest a villains journey (if indeed that was the intent) is TLJ... but I agree, it does it poorly (IMO).

We could quibble about percentages of culpability all day... the point remains that when you ape what went before to the point that you're basically recreating characters and situations from previous (and much better) films, it becomes very difficult to progress them in a meaningful way. I really don't like the creative choices Johnson made, but I can understand why he felt inclined to move away from what was presented in TFA... and if he'd done it in a way that we'd have liked, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Creating films based on check boxes and tick lists is hardly an endorsement. Indeed, it's usually an indication of a corporate approach to filmmaking that usually leads to an absence of craft and creativity. I give you TFA.

I'm less concerned as to whether the main character is male, female, black, white, amorphic blob etc, as I am to the main character having the necessary function and utility that warrants development. If that is where your requirement started and ended i.e. that the main character be female only, then maybe that explains why TFA ticked the boxes for you? For me, my definition of a well written character goes beyond whether they have a penis or not. Which is why this criticism is levelled at TFA as opposed to, for example, Rogue One.

As per above, I see exactly what Abrams did, and he did poorly in my opinion. Me, and many others, viewing TFA as a a poor film doesn't really have any bearing on Johnson's 'prejudices'.

As per above, they don't have the function and utility that take them beyond the basest of Hollywood's output.

The 'inability' is not mine. It's Abrams inability to create characters and situations. And relating that 'ability' (or not) to 'connect' with audiences is a moot and anti-intellectual one, given that TLJ made over a billion dollars... the logic being that TLJ must have had the ability to connect to audiences to a greater degree than any other film that didn't make circa $1.3M... surely not right?

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    When you claim that every issue with TLJ goes back to TFA, you are implying that Johnson had no choice.

I would say the root of the problem is that he deliberately chose to double down on issues with TFA and sometimes even make worse problems (Reylo) instead of taking the bad mystery boxes in a good direction.

That is on Johnson not Abrams.

Exactly. Why is he getting a pass for this doubling down?

Yes, Abrams should have done something with the renegade stormtrooper concept in TROS after Johnson utterly failed to do so in TLJ. Does not change that Johnson should have done it in TLJ.

That is no excuse for putting Rey into a bad female stereotype of “good woman fixes bad man through romance” or putting Poe into the bad racist stereotype of “hotheaded Latino man.” Or making him the butt of a bad “joke” of “fEmInIsTs lOvE tO hIt mEn aMiRiTe”.

Yes, Johnson failed to make them better. And quite often made them much much worse. That is the point.

2Cleva, wobbits and ChildOfWinds like this.
  19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It's a good thing then that I have never once claimed that *every* issue with TLJ goes back to TFA... although, IMO, the most significant issues were born of TFA.

Whilst I'd agree that Johnson doubled down on issues (most notably Finn's function in the story IMO), that the issues were already there is the 'root of the problem'. And whilst we cannot fully exclude the idea that issues *could* be fixed, it really shouldn't be incumbent on a new writer/director to fix the issues of a previous film. That is on Abrams..

The only free passes around here seem to be the ones being given out to Abrams. I'm more interested in identifying whom created the fundamental issues in the first instance.

And what Johnson didn't do in TLJ doesn't change what Abrams should have done with Finn in TFA and TROS.

And there's no excuse for making the first female lead a wholly bland character and the only black character the comic relief. I won't even mention the inappropriate trope they use of Kylo carrying Rey off in his arms.

That may be your point... but it is not my point, which is that Abrams, believing the audience stupid, created a vacuous film, full of vapid characters and situations. And as far as the ST is concerned, its ruination was started and ended with him (with Johnson doing his bit in the middle).

ezekiel22x likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You are more interested in Abrams creating some issues, and I am more interested in the horrific direction Johnson took the setup that Abrams created.

You seem far less disturbed by the appalling antiquated direction that Johnson took Rey, Finn and Poe’s characters than I am—correct me if I’m wrong. And that direction, which is entirely on Johnson regardless of what Abrams set up, is the entire reason for my disdain for the ST as a whole (although Abrams certainly should have never put that corpse slobber scene at the end).

While there were some issues with what Abrams set up, there were ways to resolve them well—make Rey a Skywalker. Make Finn use his stormtrooper knowledge to infiltrate the First Order. Make Poe an equal to Leia and Holdo, not have them demean him and call it “feminism.” Hold Kylo accountable for his behavior as opposed to pretending it was all other people’s fault.

And whether that is considered “fixing what Abrams did” or not, I do hold Johnson and only Johnson accountable for not doing all of the above.

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm more interested in evaluating their technical merits, as films and as filmmakers, than I am in using them as a lens to assess the values/beliefs of the writers/directors. But if this is about filmmakers as bigots, I'll have that conversation too, and happily present the films where Abrams uses a predominantly white cast to fulfil his white fantasies, and pretty much always reduces women to the role of sexual objects for mens sexual gratification.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The only other Abrams film I have seen is Super8 and didn’t like it so I can’t help you there. I did like Alias but that’s it. I’m not interested in a discussion about either his or Johnson’s other films (which I have not seen any of) or even about who they are as people (I don’t know them personally).

I am only interested in a discussion about the antiquated gender and racial stereotypes propagated by the characters in the ST specifically, which were somewhat present in both Abrams film (again, corpse slobber, and Finn drinking from a trough) but were propagated as natural or even beautiful in Johnson’s film.

2Cleva, alwayslurking and wobbits like this.
  23. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I was talking about as a character. As a character Finn is given a structure. Whether you think it was well shaped isn't the point. That it exists is. And TLJ chose to not do anything with it going forward. I think it's an individual story's job to take what they have and tell it and I think that they didn't is on TLJ, not TFA.
    You don't decide my preferences or what I'm more forgiving of. I've been against TFA since it after it came out. Please, if you're not going to be more civilized in this discussion don't reply to me.

Jar Jar was, mostly, only ever comic relief and more exaggerated than Finn. Your comparison isn't appropriate.
    It's not my problem. I think TLJ chose what it chose, like how TFA chose what it chose and TROS chose what it chose. I think what their reasons may be don't change that they did it.
    It's not my problem why it's not well done in TFA. That doesn't change the structure's conceptual existence. You saying that it's not there doesn't make it not there. You don't decide a movie's development.
    I think that's not accurate of a claim and that any lacking of ability to progress them in a meaningful way is on TLJ's lackings as an individual.

Why it may have been done doesn't change that it was done.

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Plus, TLJ *did* retcon his story from TFA, whether that resulted from complete ignorance and apathy towards basic observation, or more of an overt action and choice by Rian Johnson. And that’s also with John Boyega noting the difference in how his character was treated after TFA - as an actor, he felt he was featured enough and given enough stuff to do that there was a clear an negligent (at best) change in treatment after he’d proven himself in the role.

Which, to desperately try and pull it back to the topic…[face_laugh]

…is an area where even Lucas just as a producer or advisor is unlikely to make that particular mistake. Finn was a financial asset with a fanbase after TFA - to Lucas, that’s useful, and should be exploited more often. People sometimes overlook how cooly and professionally Lucas acted towards rising assets in the franchise.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That is largely a moot point, poorly drawn characters have some semblance of structure regardless (I'm assuming you mean 'function' when you state 'structure'?). And Finn's function and utility effectively comes to an end at the close of TFA, primarily because he was poorly written, which means that the opportunity for progression and development are lost. Abrams does this in Star Trek 09 too, where he takes all these semi interesting facets e.g. Kirk not being a captain, Kirk and Spock having a really fractious relationship etc. and effectively resolves it very cheaply by the end of the first film... with the crew of the Enterprise being in all their expected places by the end of the very first film... even down to Chekov and Sulu helming the ship and Scotty being the engineer. Abrams has the limitless opportunities that an alternate timeline brings, and he puts all the characters in the very same job on the very same ship. And of course the consequence is that there's no where to go with those elements come the next film, so in Star Trek Into Darkness, Abrams has to artificially re-set it again. Which is why the film doesn't really work. Abrams does pretty much the same thing with TFA i.e he leaves the characters and situations with no where to go of relevance (IMO).

What has 'civility' got to do with it? I'm being perfectly civil, and I'm making a point that you seem to have a preference for TFA over TLJ. Is that not the case? I have a preference for neither. I have no requirement to tear down one in order to bolster the other.

If you can't even recognise the basic function of characters in a film, TFA designed for the basest audience, why are you even having the conversation?

You get this works both ways right? That by opposing a view, you are automatically setting up a contrary position? You stating that TLJ is bad or TFA is good, or whatever you think, doesn't make it so right? Most people/fans think (IMO), regardless of whether they like TFA or not, that it wasn't great (or 'failed' depending on how one views the film) in establishing galactic events, and creating a compelling new story/situations. Those things are the very basics of good writing/good story telling... and if you don't get the foundations right, pretty much everything else that's built above it is built on shaky ground.