main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which ILM special effects were better?(Just for 2001 films)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jedimaster chris, Jun 30, 2001.

?

Which ILM special effects were better?(Just for 2001 films)

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Pearl Harbor

41.9%
  2. Artificial Intelligence

34.9%
  3. The Mummy Returns

11.6%
  4. Other

11.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
  2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I voted for The Mummy Returns, but only because I haven't seen the other two.

3. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    A.I.'s are good

4. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    I haven't seen any films this summer yet (and probably won't unti I come back from my trip), so I can't exactly vote...

--Mr. P :cool:

5. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I too voted for The Mummy Returns, only because I like it better than Pearl Harbor.

:)

6. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    I only voted Pearl Harbor because Japanese planes are just too damn cool.

7. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Haven't seen any but A.I's look great.

8. reeves1

reeves1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    The effects were good in Pearl Harbor, but just about everything else really sucked.

9. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    While the effects in A.I. are superb, I voted for Pearl Harbor.
    Basically, all that happened in A.I. was a recreation of the Blade Runner future, except with much more fluid effects.

Pearl Harbor on the other hand executed a battle that has long since tainted the minds of people around the world, and they executed it perfectly.

10. NRDigital

NRDigital Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    To compare the effects of these three movies is tough, because they each called for drastically different effects.
    The Mummy Returns' effects were poorly done.
    Pearl Harbor's effects were amazing, but certainely not ground breaking.
    A.I.'s effects were groundbreaking. They were so seamlessly pulled off.
    I gave my vote to A.I.

11. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    I have only seen 'The Mummy Returns,' but my vote goes for 'AI' simply from what I've seen in the previews.

12. Stargasior

Stargasior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    Havn't seen any. I guess the only movies i watch now are Star Wars movies.

13. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Seen all three, but didn't vote. Sort of comparing apples and oranges, you know. Large segments of The Mummy Returns are purely about the effects, that's the show. Pearl Harbor uses it to show the battle scenes, which in itself is also trying to get you to be entralled by it. But A.I. is slightly different. No matter how you rate the effects, I think it is obvious that A.I. uses them as tools of storytelling to the fullest. With worlds being painted on screen and one shot combinations of live action and CGI, this is a non-contest department.

14. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Having seen all three movies listed, here's my quick take on the special effects:

Mummy Returns: Style points for number of CGI characters (Gungan battle looked better), but there is no excuse for "Scorpion King" creature. Whatever they spent money on it wasn't spent on ILM.

Pearl Harbor: Fantastic battle scenes, I had a difficult time picking real planes from CGI.

A.I.: Strong contender for visual effects Oscar, but even ILM can't cover up that bad ending.

15. Dead Star

Dead Star Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2000
    The mummy effects SUCKED! Anyone who couldn't tell that was cgi must have been blind! (ok movie though)

I woted for Peal Harbor.

16. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I voted for A.I. I was only judging them by commercials, cause I haven't seen any of 'em. And I know this has been said a lot, but TMR's effects looked really, really fake.

17. moby

moby Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 1999
    AI effects were awesome. Teddy the Bear was seamless, i dont know if he was CGI, puppet or a combination, but you swear that little guy is walking and talking.

and Manhattan underwater was spectacular.

18. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    A.I. had some of the most wonderful visual effects that I have ever seen. It recieved my vote hands down.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    increasingly windier, one year at a time!

19. chimp2k1

chimp2k1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2001
    I recently saw Pearl Harbour and, despite just about all of the British critics slating it, I quite enjoyed it (I didn't expect to).

What really made it watchable for me (pretty much the only thing that made it watchable, actually) was the 45 minutes in the middle. It was astounding, one of the most stunning pieces of action cinema ever. The shot of the bomb falling through the air and through the deck of the American ship was one of the most memorable and stomach-churning I've seen.

BTW, did you know that they only had one plane (a Japanese one, I think) so the majority of the planes were entirely CGI?

20. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Hey! Wait for JPIII, man! That's my vote.

21. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Yeah, you left out JP3 and Planet of the Apes, man.

22. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I wish I could change my vote... Jurassic Park III's effects were MUCH better than those in The Mummy Returns.

23. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    JP3 all the way!

24. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    A.I.'s submerged NY was so amazing.

:)

25. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I didn't see "The Mummy Returns" or "Pearl Harbor", but I saw both "A.I." and "Jurassic Park III". This is a close call...

"A.I." scored beautifully with its damaged mechas, walking Teddy, and futuristic cityscapes of Rouge City and Manhattan, but the evolved mechas of the future (for the last time people, those are not aliens!) were obviously fake and the CGI Blue Fairy looked like an escapee from "Shrek".

"Jurassic Park III" scored another beautiful job of recreating dinosaurs (although reptiles are notably easier to render in CGI than humans, mammals, or birds). Some of the dinosaurs were obviously created digitally, but others I only learned were not animatronic after watching a "making of" clip. JP3 was also brave because most of the dinosaurs were seen in broad daylight (darkness and rain make CGI flaws easier to hide, which is why the extended CGI sequences in the first two "Jurassic Parks" and "Godzilla" were set in such conditions).

Do you think everyone but ILM is going to shut out of the Oscars this year?

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I made Steve Sansweet uncomfortable at Comic-Con and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.