main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which is the best Star Wars prequel movie of the FIVE?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, May 30, 2018.

?

My favourite SW prequel is

1. The Phantom Menace

5.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

6.0%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

46.8%
  4. Solo

8.3%
  5. Rogue One

33.3%
  1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Rogue One followed very closely by ROTS. It was surprising how close these two were as on one hand I love the space opera epicness and emotional punch that ROTS gave us. But on the other hand I also loved the grounded yet adventures feel of RO with the same emotional punch as ROTS especially in the ending. Also I'll admit seeing Vader in full stop action at the end of RO probably helps RO get the lead over ROTS. ☺

Darth Downunder likes this.
  2. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I stated my opinion on a public forum. Sorry you take offence to me hating ROTS. And I don't care in the slightest if you hate RO.

3. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Agree with this.

Solo was just more fun and entertaining than Rogue One for me. Whilst I like the ST, Solo is the first film since ROTJ to really capture the vibe of the originals. Nothing original about it but who cares just a cracking star wars film. Seems to me to be fashionable to like Rogue One but its just not as enjoyable a film so second for me. ROTS is the best of the prequels so is 3rd.

4. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Yep,

I like ROTS to an extent but it does have an advantage in this sort of poll because its (accepting there are TPM and AOTC fans ) generally regarded as the best of the prequels so most people who prefer the prequels will vote for it. Whereas Anthology fans are more split.

Bit like with the Originals, I am guessing if people ranked films 1-10 and tallied up the overall points then its likely the top 3 would be the three originals by a distance. But when you vote for your favourite film then ROTJ can finish below some of the prequels because people who like the originals will probably vote for one of the other two (usually ESB).

The Last Jedi is currently 3rd on the rank the star wars films poll but I'm guessing it would probably be top of a least liked poll. Would be interesting to see where it would end up in a 10 points for 1st, 9 points for 2nd thing.

5. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Rogue One for me.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't trust this poll haha. There are some very immature fans that will just back a winning horse (ROTS) to get a PT film over the line. Think about all the fans on this site that claim they love TPM or AOTC's as their fav film - Then look how many have voted for either! Hmmm [face_shame_on_you]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Darth__Lobot likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    ...dude. Come on. Really? It's clear as day how popular Revenge of the Sith is on this board, and that's coming from someone who voted for Solo.

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    ^ Agreed. RotS have the advantage of both other prequels doing so terribly in polls & taking very few votes from it among PT fans. Even Solo has far more votes here than Eps I & II put together. Still RotS is clearly well thought of & earns all of its acclaim.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Rogue One was great, and Solo was also really good, but ROTS is my #1 all-time. I doubt anything will beat that these days...

Count Yubnub and Snafu55 like this.
  10. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

This isn't actually the case. When the Saga forums had rankings for the 6 Lucas films, ROTS was 2nd by a fair margin. The rankings for favorite SW film went: TESB 44%, ROTS 21%, ROTJ 15%, ANH 11%, TPM 4%, ATOC 4%

Starwars.com also started a poll in 2015 (which is still running) for favorite of the original 6. Right now, it has 108,113 votes, and counting. The rankings in that poll closely match those of our internal poll: TESB 39%, ROTS 23%, ROTJ 17%, ANH 12%, ATOC 5%, TPM 4%

Here's the link for that poll: https://www.starwars.com/news/poll-which-star-wars-movie-is-your-favorite

Starwars.com also put up a second poll in 2018 that includes the Disney films except for Solo. Right now it has 140,608 votes. Here are the rankings for that poll: TESB 42%, ROTS 21%, TLJ 14%, ROTJ 7%, ANH 7%, R1 4%, TFA 2%, TPM 2%, ATOC 1%

Here's the link for that poll: https://www.starwars.com/news/poll-what-is-your-favorite-star-wars-movie

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Outsourced likes this.
  11. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    didn't watch solo yet, but out of the others RotS is by far my favorite, especially once I re watched it after the clone wars ended, watching some 6 seasons of Anakin and Obi wan going on adventures together really makes the movie better imo

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This just illustrates the point that we already made. RotS does well in "favourite" polls. It's usually second, but that doesn't mean it's regarded as the second best film. It might get more "bests" but it also gets far more lower end scores & rankings than episodes like ANH. At the end of our rankings poll, when points were assigned for each placing each movie was given RotS was 3rd behind TESB & ANH, & only slightly in front of RotJ. What's more, the % of low scores were also isolated. RotS was assigned low ratings of 7th-9th out of the 9 movies on 26.8% of occasions. Compared to 12.2% for RotJ, 11.4% for ANH, & just 5.7% for TESB. In terms of the respective trilogies the OT dominated that poll.
    Your point here is evident outside of the JCF. IMDb for example shows a massive sample size in terms of polling. Each film apart from Solo has several hundred thousand to a million+ votes. The average ratings are:

TESB: 8.8/10
    ANH: 8.6
    RotJ: 8.3
    TFA: 8.0
    R1: 7.8
    RotS: 7.6
    TLJ: 7.3
    Solo: 7.2
    AotC: 6.6
    TPM: 6.5

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for pointing this out. I was going to include this in my post, but I got lazy.

Yeah, in weighted rankings, ROTS comes in 3rd, not second. The contention above was that ROTS would end up far below all 3 films. Even with rated rankings, it doesn't. It's 3rd narrowly beating out ROTJ.

I agree that ROTS is more polarizing than the OT, just like almost every other Star Wars film outside of the OT. :p

I would only add one point. Except for really beloved films, which would include the OT, ratings on IMDb nearly always trend downward in the years following a film's release. This trend is acknowledged by IMDb itself, and it notes many reasons cause this trend. So, the best way to compare these films is where they were ranked corresponding to the same period of time after their release dates.

TFA was ranked in IMDb's Top 250 for 24 months before it fell out. At that time, it had an 8.1 rating. Click here for the link.
    TFA fell to a 8.0 just 10 days later. Here's that link.

ROTS was ranked in IMDb's Top 250 for 16+ months before it fell out. At that time, it had an 8.0 rating. Here's the link.
    ROTS fell to a 7.9 between 18 months and 19 months from its initial release.
    ROTS fell to a 7.8 a little less than 5 years after its initial release date, somewhere between April 2, 2010 and May 7, 2010.

R1 was only ranked in IMDb's Top 250 for exactly 1 month before it fell out with a ranking of 8.1.
    R1 fell to a 8.0 after 3 months and 1 week.
    R1 fell to 7.9 after 4 1/2 months from its initial release, 1/4th the time it took ROTS to reach a 7.9.
    R1 fell to 7.8 after 11 1/2 months from its initial release, 1/5th the time it took ROTS that rating.

TLJ was ranked 7.6 just 2 weeks after its release.
    TLJ's rating today, 6 months after its release, is a 7.3
    I predict 1 year after its release its rating will be a 7.0 - 7.1. (I don't think I'm biased against it since I liked it, but we can do a follow up to see if I'm right :p)

In comparison, ATOC's rating 18 months after its release was a 7.2.

Strangely, TPM's IMDb rating has remained pretty consistent over the years. The earliest rating that I could find for it, 4 1/2 years after its release, was a 6.6. I'm sure it was ranked higher just after its release, but it's pretty weird as IMDb goes that its ranking has remained steady for about 15 years.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  14. RandySolo

RandySolo Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2018
    Revenge of the Sith

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Solo is easily the funnest Prequel movie, I'll give it that.

teamhansolo and Sarge like this.
  16. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Revenge of the Sith all day any day for me!

teamhansolo likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hm, this is difficult. I think I would rank the now five prequels like this:

1. Rogue One
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. Solo
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Attack of the Clones

1-3 are really, really close - their positions in the ranking are almost interchangeable. 4 isn't far behind, but still clearly behind the others. 5 is unfortunately quite far behind the rest.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    teamhansolo likes this.
  18. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels. I can’t put Solo or RO above any episode of the saga.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Alexrd likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith. Rogue One is a close second.

teamhansolo likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rogue One
    Solo
    AOTC
    TPM
    ROTS

I could probably switch rankings around on the middle three depending on my mood.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I second this.

22. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Duel wise - Phantom Menace
    Action and conclusion - Revenge of the Sith and then Rogue One

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Silvertough

Silvertough Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2018
    Honestly, the choice is split between Rogue One and ROTS for me. Rogue One, while it clearly has some issues, still feels like a move shot with a distinct end goal in mind, which i can't say with certainty about the rest of the Disney Movies, apart from maybe The Force awakens.

Revenge of the Sith on the other hand, I love simply for the third act, specifically Order 66. To this day, it was one of the few times I've ever cried inside a movie theater, although that might have been because of how young I was! [face_laugh]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Rogue One
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I need (and really want) to see SOLO more than once to decide between it and R1 -- SOLO was a more consistent film than R1 but also a bit more "slight". Currently I feel their pros and cons balance out. Both to me are much better films than any of the PT, out of which TPM is by far my favorite (although there's plenty that I do like strewn through even AOTC which is my least favorite of all the canon films).

Erm, wait, technically aren't there six prequel films counting the TCW feature?

Sinrebirth and Sarge like this.