main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which is the best Star Wars prequel movie of the FIVE?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, May 30, 2018.

?

My favourite SW prequel is

1. The Phantom Menace

5.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

6.0%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

46.8%
  4. Solo

8.3%
  5. Rogue One

33.3%
  1. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    For the 5 prequels:

1. Rogue One
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. The Phantom Menace
    4. Attack of the Clones
    5. Solo

All are great, though - I really love them all.

Prime Jedi and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    1. RotS
    2. R1.
    3. Solo.
    4. AotC and TPM (joint).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Rogue One
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. Solo

As much as I enjoyed Solo, I had to put it in fifth position. It was a fantastic Star Wars adventure and there were some really memorable moments. That said, I felt that it was an unnecessary story and didn't have any meat on its bones. Rogue One was a story about sacrifice and duty. We didn't know what would happen to most of the main characters, so the stakes were much higher and we were given a tragic, yet inspirational conclusion. Revenge of the Sith is just a fantastic space opera with a great aesthetic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  4. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    For me its no brainer.
    1)RotS. 9/10
    2)Attack of the Clones 7/10
    3)Rogue One 7/10
    4)The Phantom Menace 6.5/10
    5)Solo 5/10

RotS is imo top-2 or even the best SW movie, and master class tragedy movie. It has much more to the SW story than RO to even compare them.
    AotC and RO are those where story is less substantial, and for me they are simply the fan service movies. And id be honest - Coruscant Chase, Seismic Charges, Kamino shoot out, Battle of Geonosis, Yoda dueling, and ending scenes from AotC completely overweight Vader's massacre and Battle of Scariff.
    TPM is simply too long and boring and i think Duel in the end is overrated.
    Solo is just 5/10 garbage.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    1) RotS
    2) AotC
    3) TPM
    4) R1

I can't tell for Solo because I didn't see it even once and I don't fell the need to watch it either so it would be unfair to judge it. I just relate more to the characters of the PT and the different relationships between them than I do for R1's characters and the story of the fall of the Republic and the Jedi Order is much more interesting to me than the theft of the DS plan. It doesn't help that this particular story has been told and retold many times so to get another version of this story didn't feel compelling to me. I fell like there's more of a sense of a beginning, a middle and an end but I get that it's easier to so this with 3 films than with one. One of the problems with R1 that I found by listening to family members not as into SW as I am is that the movie doesn't do a great job to explain the setting to non hardcore fans. I could understand because I read stuff about it and I'm more knowledgeable about the SW and I could easily connect the dots even if I didn't fully understand the characters and their motivations but to them it was confusing. I still like R1 but it's not what I think first when I want to SW movie when I'm bored.

6. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    1. Rogue One
    2. Solo
    3. ROTS
    4. TPM
    5. AOTC

7. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    R1 is probably the 'best' of them but I probably enjoyed Solo the most. These days pure enjoyment is mostly what I'm after in a film.

Darth_Dave_1984 likes this.
  8. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    It was a tough choice between Rogue One and The Phantom Menace but TPM wins, for me.

9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    1) The Prequel Trilogy
    2) Rogue One
    3) Solo

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  10. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Ahh, the Prequels. I have so many feelings about each of them.

1) Rogue One- This is a very good film. It's beautifully shot, action-packed, wonderfully diverse, well-acted, and the score is very well done. It's not perfect, but I definitely think it's the best SW prequel we'll get for a while.

2) Revenge of the Sith- I don't think that ROTS is a better movie than Solo, but I do think it is a more interesting one. There are a lot of moments in this film that just work, but there are not so good moments that are still fun to watch. Also, Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor are the stars of this movie. While one gives one of the hammiest performances I have ever seen in a movie, the other one gives one of the most heartwrenching.

3) Solo- This is a weird movie to rank. It's fun and I enjoyed it at many points when I saw it in theatres, but my opinion of it got lower the more I thought about it. For one, Han Solo is a bit too noble here. His characterization doesn't quite match up with his ANH incarnation for me. He's much less scoundrel and more anti-hero. Also, the themes about slavery and oppression were really tone-deaf. Chewbacca and Lando were great, though. Heck, I even liked Q'ira.

4) The Phantom Menace- I enjoy parts of this movie. It feels like a Star Wars film (what a cliche) and the action is pretty great. However, everyone in this movie is just so...wooden. From the line delivery to the stilted emoting at many points, it just really drags at a lot of points. And yes, Jar Jar needs no explanation. Also, the race coding is very, very problematic. The score and action are fantastic, though. I also really enjoy Padme's character in this.

5) Attack of the Clones- There's a lot of good action in this film. Ewan McGregor is great and the score is still awesome. Also, I really admire the technological advancements made in this movie. George Lucas is quite a visionary. However, I hate...HATE the romance between Anakin and Padme. It's so terrible, I'm sorry. Not even from an acting standpoint, but just from an ethical standpoint. I just really hate watching a woman fall in love with her stalker. I also hate how fake everything looks. I hate how most of the Jedi council consists of boring stick-in-the-muds. I hate how Anakin's characterization makes him look less like a tragic hero and more like a villain from the start. Lastly, I hate that the Anakin in this movie is a completely different character from the one in the previous film.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  11. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    Rogue One/ROTS

12. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Rogue One is the one.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm updating this after having seen Solo a few more times.

1. Rogue One
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. The Phantom Menace
    4. Solo
    5. Attack of the Clones

It's not that I've grown to dislike Solo or anything (I still love it), it's just that I think that it isn't quite as rewatchable as the others. Rogue One and Revenge of the Sith are still at the top, and Attack of the Clones is unchallenged as my least favorite SW movie.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Darth__Lobot and heels1785 like this.
  14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    Rogue One
    Attack of the Clones

Tbh I havent seen Solo yet, but I will.

15. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Revenge of the Sith would be my favorite, closely followed by Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace. The Prequel trilogy is just an amazing work of art.

I don't care much for Rogue One and Solo.

Count Yubnub and Alexrd like this.
  16. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The Phantom Menace only just tops Clones for me, although that may change depending on my mood. But Revenge of the Sith is my least favorite Lucas film, and Rogue One is my least favorite Star Wars film altogether.

17. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    If I were ranking them, I'd do it this way:

1. Rogue One
    2. Solo
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Attack of the Clones
    5. The Phantom Menace

18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Funny. It’s the exact opposite for me.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    Rogue One
    Revenge of the Sith

Solo
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'll second that list.

21. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    ROTS
    SOLO
    R1
    TPH
    AOTC

22. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    RotS, good conclusion to the PT
    R1, not a fan on first viewing, but the more I have seen it the better it becomes.
    Solo, didn't watch in the cinema, eventually got on blu-ray, really enjoyed it, even more on multiple viewings.
    AotC, liked it when it came out, but hasn't aged well.
    TPM, don't dislike the film, but lots of aspects of it i did dislike. It always felt like a kids film to relaunch the franchise that was assembled by a focus group, rather than an actual labour of love 15 years in the making.

23. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    It's between Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One for me.

Would you like to know the ranking of Rogue One?
    Not now K!
    It's high. It's very high.

Revenge of the Sith is pure epic. Great story and part of the saga. Everything about it rocked. Can't name just one thing. It would take a page to talk about!
    Rogue One is a phenomenal film. That felt like a Star Wars film and THAT is how the Force works. The story, the characters, the feel, it was all great.
    Phantom Menace - the opening with Qui Gon cutting through the door was superb. And Duel of Fates.
    Attack of the Clones - Jedi being surrounded by droids, Across the Stars, Imperial March ending. Yes there was sand, but it didn't get everywhere.

24. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    For me it's Rogue One but only just. Second would be ROTS.

25. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    Solo is the most fun, but TPM is the best of them ... in my opinion, of course!

darkspine10 likes this.