main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which is the best Star Wars prequel movie of the FIVE?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, May 30, 2018.

?

My favourite SW prequel is

1. The Phantom Menace

5.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

6.0%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

46.8%
  4. Solo

8.3%
  5. Rogue One

33.3%
  1. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I do know that "Attack of the Clones" is my favorite Prequel movie. I just love the epic quality of it.

Are we also ranking the prequel movies? Okay, so here is my ranking:

1. AOTC
    2. ROTS
    3. RO
    You know what? I can't decide between "TPM" and "SOLO".

Count Yubnub likes this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    IGN surveyed over 30,000 people (good pool amount) asking what the best modern SW film (since 2000) was and Rogue One came in number 1 with over 40%! ROTS second etc etc :cool:

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Revenge of the Sith ranks as not just my favorite Prequel but my favorite Star Wars movie of all time. To me, it effectively captures the tragic nature of the Prequels: the fall of a hero, the disintegration of a marriage, the death of a friendship, the destruction of the Jedi and their Temple, and overshadowing it all the ruin of a once great but rotting from within Republic. All this tragedy is for me very poignantly depicted but there is still a note of hope at the end when Leia and Luke are placed with their respective adoptive families that assures us that love still exists in the Star Wars universe and that there are still good people who will fight and sacrifice for what is right. I think it's that ending that ensures that while the movie is dark in tone, it doesn't descend into nihilism. We still get the sense that there is a meaning and a hope to life even during the darkest time, which is a message that resonates with me.

It also just has a lot of my favorite Star Wars scenes. Anakin and Obi-Wan's rescue of Palpatine at the beginning, which shows how well they work together, and their banter that really captures their friendship very quickly for the audience. Padme and Anakin's reunion, which to me is very sweet, and his reaction to her pregnancy is always moving to me. Scenes like the one at the opera where Palpatine slips into the devil role of tempting Anakin with the tale of Darth Plagueis always sends shivers up my spine. I also the scene where Obi-Wan and Anakin say farewell to one another always tugs at my heartstrings, making me wish for a different ending to their friendship. Then the epic but heartbreaking duel between these two powerful warriors in their prime who are like brothers to one another but have become determined to destroy one another. I could probably write an entire paragraph on the splendor of that duel but since I've rambled long enough in this post, I'll restrain myself....

I can see some of the pacing issues people point out with Anakin's fall (but I think it's well-developed enough across three movies that I can overlook that) and some of the dialogue issues people have, but to me, none of that interferes with the viewing experience enough for this movie to be dislodged as my favorite Star Wars film.

So my personal ranking of Revenge of the Sith? It's the number one Star Wars film for me, not just the number one Prequel.

4. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    I can tell you what my favorite prequel film is - "Attack of the Clones".

5. Mark Pierre

Mark Pierre Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2016
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. The Phantom Menace
    3. Attack of the Clones

Deliveranze likes this.
  6. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    1a: ROTS
    1b: RO
    3: AOTC
    4: Solo
    5: TPM

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  7. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Oh easy. Revenge of the Sith

1. ROTS
    2. Rogue One

3. TPM
    4. AOTC
    5. Solo

8. Bodhran777

Bodhran777 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2019
    I really enjoyed Solo, but Rogue One was great too. I'm enjoying the one-off prequels so far

9. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I didn't know we were listing them [face_dunno]
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TPM
    Rogue One
    Solo

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Deliveranze likes this.
  10. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Rogue One is so far ahead it's not worth ranking the others. IMO easily the best SW film made since 1980.

I will say it's interesting to see so much love for Solo. Saw it once and honestly can't remember what happened.

11. May The Force Be With Stu

May The Force Be With Stu Jedi Padawan star 1

May 9, 2019
    It's got to be Rogue One. I really enjoyed that. A real rock 'em, sock 'em Star Wars adventure.

12. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Agree with the poll, rogue one and ROTS top two as it reflects them one and three on my 1-11 list...TPM is third

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  13. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    ROTS hands down for me.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TPM
    R1
    Solo

15. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    rogue one
    revenge of the sith
    phantom menace
    Solo
    attack of the clones

16. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    ROTS is the best prequel, but Rogue One is also very good !!!

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i should add.. the clone wars movie, clone wars and rebels too for completion
    id probably put rebels below clones and clone wars movie below that with the clone war series above solo. To explore the ideas of watching prequels aa a whole including ANH sw my post a story of two halves

18. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    If we really have to be honest with ourselves, there is no "best" SW movie or "best" movie within each trilogy, etc. Each of us have our favorites.

19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    oh yes couldn't agree more.. all personal preference and all equally valid

The Togruta Jedi likes this.
  20. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    If I could vote twice I would vote for ROTS as my favourite GL Prequel and Rouge One as my favourite Disney Prequel that said I enjoyed them all

21. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    im enjoying watching everything up to ANH a prequel and everything Empire and after a sequel... what is your favourite half??? especially if you take a break after ANH
    thoughts? are you a before BBY person or a ABY fan

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  22. KaleeshFett

KaleeshFett Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2021
    Revenge of the Sith

A near perfect space opera tragedy that is second only to ESB for my overall favorite Star Wars film. Padme's poor usage (IMO) in the film is the only major flaw I can think of. The film is easily Luca's best directed film since 1977 and the cinematography is simply breathtaking and darkly operatic, as it should be. I also give the film credit for giving me further appreciation for Anakin as a character pre-Darth Vader, looking back at the character in TPM and AOTC more positively.

23. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    This one, easily.

Tragedy and betrayal, the death of innocence and the rise of an Empire.

Deliveranze likes this.
  24. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Per my sig I have to say ROTS. How can it not be? There are more duels and battles in ROTS than any other SW movie and it isn't even close. To see Anakin / Vader at full power is just awesome.

Rogue One 2nd for me. Easily Disney's best SW movie. The lead in into ANH is fantastic.

Although I take issue with a lot of things in TPM, it easily has the best duel in the entire saga for me with Darth Maul, etc...

25. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Easily Revenge of the Sith. Easily the most important chapter in the Skywalker Saga for me, and Hayden Christensen does a fantastic job in the role.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021