main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which is the best Star Wars prequel movie of the FOUR?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, Nov 17, 2017.

?

My favourite SW prequel is

1. The Phantom Menace

5.3%
  2. Attack of the Clones

6.4%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

43.9%
  4. Rogue One

44.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Revenge Of The Sith by far. That movie is still impeccable to this day IMO

jimkenobi likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Where's the love for The Clone Wars movie? Doesn't it count as a prequel movie? As Captain Picard might say to the Cardassian interrogators, "THERE... ARE... FIVE... MOVIES!!!"

I'll just let myself out now, thanks anyway.

Darkslayer and Darth Downunder like this.
  3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Rogue One is the only prequel that I like, and I like it quite a bit.

TX-20, Avnar and Sarge like this.
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It's so close!

[​IMG]

Darth Downunder likes this.
  5. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    I'll go R1 by a nose from TPM. I really enjoy both of these but there are a couple of things in TPM which I really don't like and I can't say that about R1. The other two are okay, but a mixed bag for me.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I too think it's fair to compare all four prequels, as long as one compares the separate movies, and not Rogue One to the Prequel Trilogy. They are all prequels afterall.

As for the question, Rogue One wins for me. It's my favorite SW movie since the OT. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is because I think it marries the prequels and the originals perfectly - we really see the progression from ROTS, with cameos from Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, as well as the "planetary cameos" of Mustafar and Coruscant, while at the same time obviously building straight into ANH. I can't imagine not including RO in future Saga marathons - something I doubt I'll do with Solo, or other spinoffs - because I think it fits so well inbetween ROTS and ANH.
    Rogue One has simply become a fourth movie of the PT for me, just like it has become a fourth movie of the OT. Other spinoffs are very unlikely of achieving that status (no matter how much I enjoy them).

That being said, I'm not in any way saying that the prequel trilogy are bad movies, or that I don't like them. I do - ROTS is a very close second here, and TPM and AOTC follow shortly after.

CIS Droid, Darkslayer, TX-20 and 3 others like this.
  7. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I, on the other hand, think all three prequels destroy Rogue One!

Pain and Suffering and jimkenobi like this.
  8. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Revenge of the Sith - Unquestionably the best of these four (it's not even a contest), arguably the best film of the series, and possibly one of the ten finest fantasy films ever made. The lush composition, merciless editing, affecting performances, thematic depth and exquisitely operatic score weaves a tapestry that will stand the test of time. Lucas's supreme triumph.

As for the others:

TPM
    RO
    AOTC

Harbour likes this.
  9. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Revenge of the Sith had the other two prequels to bolster its characters while Rogue One introduced a whole new cast and killed most of them off by the end of it

RotS is made even more poignant if you've seen all of Star Wars The Clone Wars, which pushes it to the forefront of Best Prequel Film for me

10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

[​IMG]

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  11. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
    Ah, yes. How did I not think of using this meme.

Darkslayer, TX-20 and Outsourced like this.
  12. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
  13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm honestly super disappointed in you for not bringing it up before me.

TX-20 likes this.
  14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No kidding... I never would have thought someone would had a different opinion!! :rolleyes:

15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Revenge of the Sith

Whatever its flaws might be in execution, it has the best narrative of any Star Wars film and showcases George Lucas at the peak of his powers as a visual storyteller.

Harbour likes this.
  16. JediRoxx

JediRoxx Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2016
    Tough choice but I went with RO narrowly over ROTS. IMO it's a superior movie in most respects. However more epic & far more "important" stuff happens in ROTS, so it's a close call. These two stand a long way in front of the other two, which nowadays I find hard to sit through. I view the saga from ROTS to TFA & find it to be an incredible 6 movie masterpiece.

Wonder how Solo will figure in this list.

17. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Rogue One, hands down. Not just the best prequel but it's my new favorite SW film. The much darker tone, the focus on the Empire Vs. Rebels and not just the Jedi and Sith was all excellent and I find the cast of characters as memorable as the originals, not something I say lightly at all. I'm still amazed by how much I liked it, I would've never gone in expecting it to become my new favorite SW film. For me it's become the new gold standard for SW.

I don't dislike any of the SW films and enjoy the prequels in their own way, despite their flaws (I even get enjoyment from TPM). But RO for me both equals and surpasses the classic trilogy.

TX-20, Avnar and Sarge like this.
  18. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Definitely ROTS. I frequently bounce back and for between ROTS and TESB being my favorite overall. But R1 is interesting, because it can be included with the PT in comparison, as they are all prequels, but it could also be put up alongside the OT considering the style and setting of it all.

Ultimately, I think ROTS is probably one of the greatest films of all time, and a nearly flawless film. Similar to TESB.

R1, however, was really fun and definitely entertaining. It was like a fan-film with all the quality of a feature film. But comparing to ROTS is like comparing Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back to TESB.

Deliveranze and Alienware like this.
  19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    ROTS is my favorite. I liked R1 but for me it definitely felt more in line timewise with ANH than it did with the PT. As soon as R1 concludes I get the overwhelming desire to immediately start ANH.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Clones very narrowly edges out Sith in the top two, R1 dead last. And that goes for my regular rankings as well.

Deliveranze likes this.
  21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS and TPM are the best imo. Both just are paced so damn well, with explosive openings, incredible set designs, insanely gorgeous shots, and the best lightsaber action of the saga.

RO is like AOTC in structure tbh. Both have slower, sometimes uneven, paced beginnings, with big climatic battles at the end. I prefer AOTC, because the Speeder Chase scene and Jango vs. Obi-Wan was far more interesting to me than the Jedha or Eadu scenes. All 4 are great action scenes tho.

AOTC's first half hour is intense, and it's last half hour is some of the best SW moments of the entire saga. It's really that middle half that makes it weaker than TPM and ROTS. Still, AOTC has way BIGGER highlights than anything in ROTJ and TFA. The best scenes in that movie always fall flat to me.

Alienware likes this.
  22. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Rogue One is the best Star Wars prequel & probably the greatest prequel movie of all time. The Godfather Part 2 is only a semi-prequel so I discount that.

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Never much love for Eps I & II. Someone should do a poll between just those two movies. At least then they'll finally get a decent % of the votes.

Steve McGarrett likes this.
  24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    ROTS because it has the best music and the saga's all time greatest villain (imo) General Grievous!

25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Rogue One

Its my favorite prequel and also my third favorite Star Wars film in general. Its not perfect but every thing from the very opening with young Jyn to the end with Leia escaping with the plans just works for me.

Darth Downunder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.