main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Costume Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by teamhansolo, Jun 27, 2018.

1. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    This is a thread I made for discussing which characters look the best in which movies throughout the entire saga.
    So, the first question. Which movie do you think Luke looks the best in?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Princess Of Manchester

Princess Of Manchester Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Kylo I mean Ben always look good. I love Padme's looks From ROTS. I also love Rey clothes in The Last Jedi & Leia's Ewok dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    I love your sig! alright so I guess you didn't see my question, (i know i edited it)
    Ben does always look good, and Rey's clothes are amazing too. What is your favorite of Padme's outfits?

Pensivia likes this.
  4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Return of the Jedi - with the all black costume and the green lightsaber.

5. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah, best Luke outfit for sure. I always though that his hair was too short in that part though.

Pensivia and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  6. Princess Of Manchester

Princess Of Manchester Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Definitely my favorite.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    We all seem to agree on Luke :luke::greensaber:

His hair is pretty cool in TLJ, tho[face_peace]

9. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Anakin (ROTS) A synthesis of the angelic and Byronic. Just beautiful.
    Obi-Wan (ROTS) An uncanny representation of Guinness's Kenobi in his prime.
    Padme (TPM) Her exotic queen makes for one of the most iconic personages in genre film.

Luke (ROTJ) His priestly garb accentuates and radiates the salvific qualities of his character.
    Leia (ANH) Stately wardrobe, idiosyncratic hairdo. Encapsulates the character.
    Han (TESB) The jacket just looks great.

10. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah, I totally agree about Han's jacket, It looks great. (In your opinion) is it black, blue, or brown?

11. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Do you guys like Luke's dark outfit in ROTJ with the flap opened or without the flap opened better?

12. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Yes, I love that color on her. My favorite of her outfits is probably either her Geonosian Arena Outfit (before it gets ripped) or her outfit from AOTC with the gold necklace.
    [​IMG]

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pre-emptive warning: Let’s not send this thread down the track of objectifying actors or actresses—keep it on costuming, performance, and similar issues.

14. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Here is the difference between Luke's outfit with the front closed, and with the front open.
    I like his outfit best with the flap closed. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pensivia, christophero30 and Snafu55 like this.
  15. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    Yes, definitely I had no intention of doing that with this thread. Thanks for pointing this out!

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    These are exactly the same choices as my own. I'd also include Vader, and say although he looks pretty much the same in every movie, I prefer his TESB look. It's a nice middle ground between the grungy, sort of matte finish look he has in ANH, and his almost overly-shiny and polished look from RotJ.

I almost don't want to comment on the ST characters yet, since my favorite look for any one of them might come from Episode IX, but for right now I'll say:

Rey (TFA) Her Jakku outfit is instantly iconic. It evokes Luke from ANH and Anakin from TPM while still being very much her own. Also the triple ponytail is great.
    Finn (TFA) A nice mid-point between the black underclothes of his stormtrooper outfit and the Resistance look he'd lean into full tilt in the next film.
    Poe (TLJ) That jacket is fresh AF.
    Kylo (TLJ) I love the helmet and shawl design from TFA, but I prefer seeing Driver's face. The scar, shorter tunic, and leathery cape are all great components of a great look.

Pensivia and teamhansolo like this.
  17. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    My favorite Luke appearance is his TESB one:
    [​IMG]
    When I see the Empire outfit, I simultaneously think of many different things that Luke is: Jedi (in training), Rebel, and pilot (even though this isn't the actual piloting suit). And while the Jedi look is good for showing how Luke has matured, it feels a bit too plain to me and the only aspect of him being represented is the Jedi side....which is fine for story reasons and whatnot.
    I also like the TESB Vader look the most but interestingly, I've always thought of his Empire helmet as being the most consistently shiny. Isn't it like this for the whole movie?:
    [​IMG]
    Whereas the helmet in Jedi fluctuates from being as shiny as in Empire to looking almost ANH-esque:
    [​IMG]

For the other characters,
    Han: TESB (the jacket)
    Leia: TESB (has the most "ready for action" outfits)
    Anakin: ROTS
    Padme: AOTC (definitely prime Padme here, in both personality and outfits)
    Obi-Wan: ROTS (well acted, likeable portrayal, best haircut....wasn't a fan of the mullet from the previous movie)

For the ST I'll wait until the last movie, but so far I like Rey's TLJ look better than her TFA look.

18. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Luke: ROTJ
    Han: TESB
    Leia: TESB
    Anakin: ROTS
    Obi-Wan: ROTS
    Padme: AOTC

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    TPM:palpatine
    AOTC: Padme
    ROTS: Anakin/Padme
    ANH:Han
    ESB:Leia
    ROTJ:Luke
    TFA: Poe
    TLJ: Luke
    RO: Saw
    SOLO: Qi’ra

christophero30 likes this.
  20. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Tough choice! I like them both equally because Luke in the first picture is pristine, all black no smudges or dust and dirt next to pristine Vader. The second picture Luke's flap and damaged shirt actually mirrors Vader's disheveled and damaged appearance with the helmet off.

21. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Luke looks best in ROTJ.

Han is best in ESB.

Leia is best in ANH.

Rey is best in TFA.

Poe is best in TLJ.

Padme is best in episode 2.

Anakin looks best in episode 3.

Obi Wan looks best in episode 3 as well I think.

22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Everyone looks best in Empire. In the ST they all look better in TFA. Anakin looks MUCH better in ROTS. Padme looks beautiful in AOTC

Pensivia and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Luke in ESB. Good lord did I want that Bespin jacket when Bantha Tracks was offering a replica of it. Actually I think the whole Big 3 look best in ESB. By far my least favorite Luke look is his award ceremony outfit -- not because it's THAT bad, but because so many artists used to draw that as his standard outfit between ANH and ESB, as if him wearing it to the ceremony somehow meant "well, that's what he wears all the time now that he doesn't live in the desert".

Obi-Wan looks equally good in AOTC and ROTS -- I think I prefer AOTC because while it's my least favorite of the Prequels as a film, the Obi-Wan storyline in the film is oddly by far my favorite part of the whole trilogy. Anakin in ROTS seems inarguable, Padme's many looks in TPM are just classic and fascinating to to me so I'll go with that one.

It's essentially a draw on the ST characters thus far, although I think I do like Rey's costuming by the end of TLJ the best. I really look forward to new looks for Finn, Poe and Rose in IX in a way that TLJ didn't afford them due to being so close to the end of TFA.

24. teamhansolo

Jun 25, 2018
    I agree with everything except I think in the ST they all look better in TLJ. Han looks really great in ESB also though.

25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yes. The lighting in ESB is amazing. Is that the cinematographers' job?