main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Costume Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by teamhansolo, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

I always liked Padme's outfit from the ruminations scene in ROTS.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Re: Luke in ROTJ, with or without the cape & cowl?

3. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I like it without better. The other outfit was too Sith-like for me.

wobbits likes this.
  4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Yes, Padmé is one of those characters whose look changes a lot within a single episode, so we can only pick single scenes, not whole episodes. Personal favorites are her Tatooine look in TPM, most of AOTC, and final confrontation with Anakin in ROTS. Strangely, the look I like least is the balcony scene in ROTS, where I think she looks the least like herself. I read somewhere that scene was shot several months after the rest, so it could be due to that. Some of her TPM costumes seem slightly over the top, but they really came up with very imaginative and creative ones.
    Agree on Leia, her ANH costume is simple but iconic, the slave costume very daring for a SW movie, and on the whole I'd say they came up with something original in all her appearances, and fitting for the different settings.

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes I think from what I see in the Featurette, they were looking to expand on the concept of this being the "classical era" and showcasing a range of costumes and set pieces. Especially with Padme, a Senator from an elegant world I think. We do also see Leia dressing more "fashionable" on Bespin for instance and during the Medal Ceremony in ANH.

I really liked Padme in AOTC at the Homestead. She somehow looked regal in that blue midriff outfit, and yet also dressed for a desert environment. Yes, the ROTS scene on Mustafar, that was a nice outfit. Noticeably her hairstyles, whilst beautiful in themselves, almost echo Princess Leia's that we see later on.

Fireplace scene is also incredible for Padme. I think that outfit, and her Geonosis arena outfit are iconic for her character.

For Princess Leia, I think two outfits stand out the most. The very first outfit we see her in on the Tantive IV. And the Slave Leia costume which was incredible and cinema legend.

I agree, GL came up with original costumes for all the characters that fit their character, and the environment they were in, in the context of the story. Same with Luke who transitioned gradually into something more Jedi like. E.g. his outfit in the closing scene of ESB. The outfit that made me wonder if the Jedi didn't question Anakin, was his constant darker clothes, when the Jedi appeared to dress more brightly. Granted you saw some characters wear darker leggings or black robes in AOTC, but Anakin always seemed to dress darkly, save for at the end of TPM!

I like that we always had R2D2 in all the films also, and him shiny in the last scene of the movie (from Episodes 1 to 6).

6. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I love Luke's black costume in ROTJ. Elegant and simple.

For Han, it's his ESB blue jacket.

teamhansolo and ThisIsMe1138 like this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Obi-Wan: ROTS
    Anakin: ROTS (not counting Darth Vader)
    Yoda: AOTC (I like his lighter colored cloak)
    Padme: AOTC (the outfits are wonderful)
    Luke: TFA/early TLJ (I love that white and grey uniform with the grey cloak)
    Lando: ESB (of course)
    Leia: TLJ (that cloak/dress thing was amazing)

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Luke in ROTJ with his full Jedi garb (present throughout the movie before he gives himself up to, and his searched by, the Empire):

[​IMG]

9. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padmé: ROTS
    They absolutely nailed Anakin and Obi-Wan in this one. I don't know if their costumes will ever be topped by any other main character in the saga.

Luke: ROTJ easily
    Leia: Tie between ANH and TESB for me. Her ANH look is more iconic but her costumes in TESB are better I think.
    Han: TESB, but ANH isn't too bad either.

10. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Luke - I’m partial to the farmboy look in ANH
    Leia - ANH again. Just classic
    Han - TESB. +1 for the jacket.

Anakin - TPM. The mop top look screams Star Wars to me and I like him with the podracing helmet.
    Padme - I’ll go with TPM because I love her queen outfits, but it’s really a toss up between that and AOTC
    Obi-Wan - AOTC. What can I say? I dig the mullet.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Jyn looks best in Rogue One. Jango Fett looks best in Attack of the Clones. Holdo looks best in The Last Jedi.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Obi-Wan: ROTS
    The greying side hair, the elegant speech patterns, the much more humble persona compared to the naive Padawan of TPM, and the arrogant master of AOTC. Obi-Wan finally becoming a mix of Qui-Gon and himself. Also, this was the film where Obi-Wan became our main protagonist after Anakin's fall. He became the one we were rooting for to stop Vader.
    [​IMG]
    Anakin: ROTS
    The visual design is perfect. Dark robes to symbolize his darker nature, mirroring Luke's outfit as a Jedi Knight, the scar to symbolize Anakin's veteran status as a war hero, and the long hair to show his rebellious side, also mirroring both Luke's 1970's hairstyle from ANH and the helmet of Vader

[​IMG]
    Padme: AOTC
    Padme really shines in this film. While her costumes are so beautifully intricate in both AOTC and ROTS, I prefer the more "liberal" costumes that show Padme shedding her political duties and showing the audience who she is as a person. We explore Padme's character on a personal note, but also get to see her bravery during the Battle of Geonosis.
    [​IMG]
    Luke: ESB
    I think this movie is where Luke gets the most character development. We see the personal struggles on Dagobah, and his bravery on Hoth and Bespin. He's not quite overtly mature in ROTJ, but also not as whiny/naive in ANH. It's a nice blend to show his youth yet his experience with the Alliance since he destroyed the Death Star. Also, his character design feels at its most modern. Not too 70's, not too 80's, if that makes sense.
    [​IMG]
    Leia: ESB
    This was tough. On one hand, she has way more action set pieces in ROTJ, but on the other, she has more character in ESB, so for that, I go with Empire. Her snark with Han is definitely enjoyable, and she shows her defiance to the Empire when we see her on Bespin.
    Also, THANK YOU Leia for turning off 3PO for a lil while.
    [​IMG]
    Han: SOLO
    Oooh unpopular opinion time. Don't get me wrong, Harrison is the OG, but Han as a character was never really that interesting to me compared to say, Indiana Jones. While I would've preferred more of a character piece with Solo, the movie highlighted some of the reasons why Han is the way he is. Alden did a great job of playing a younger Han who is just learning the ropes of his trade. From killing his father-figure, Beckett, to his first heist, his stint on Mimban with the Empire, and of course, the Kessel Run, I think Alden really humanized Han for me in a way I didn't feel before.
    [​IMG]
    Mace Windu: AOTC
    Another tough one for me. I liked the grey morality added to his character in ROTS, as if we aren't 100% sure if Mace is doing the right thing with trying to kill Palpatine, and personally creating a rift, with at the moment, our protagonist, Anakin. But, Mace really gets to shine in this film. From his iconic purple bladed saber, to dispatching Jango Fett, and of course, the iconic, "This party's over" line, we saw why he was the second in command of the Order.

13. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    I like Rey’s three outfits so far and I noticed some time after TLJ came out that, like Luke’s outfits in the original trilogy, Rey’s keep getting darker in color for each film. In ANH, Luke wears a white-ish/tan desert outfit, as does Rey in TFA. In TESB, Luke wears grey, as does Rey in TLJ (her grey Resistance outfit from the end of TFA and her darker grey Jedi training outfit). In ROTJ, Luke wore all black. I hope Rey wears all black in Episode IX too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favorite of the three is the grey Resistance outfit (middle)

14. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I think they will always look incredible in the first film they were in, but I'll have a go:

Leia: ANH and ROTJ (Impossible to choose, this is, though I think it's between Slave Leia and Throne Room Leia smiling at the end of ANH)
    [​IMG]
    Han: ANH (Everything's perfectly fine up here. Situation normal....How are you?)
    Luke: ROTJ (I am a Jedi like my Father before me)
    Chewie: ESB and ROTS
    R2D2: ROTS
    C3PO: ESB (His dialogue throughout)
    Obi Wan Old: ANH
    Obi Wan Young: ROTS

Anakin: ROTS
    Vader: ESB/ROTJ
    Padme: AOTC (In blue on Tatooine and the signature white combat suit in the Arena. Her hairstyles rhyming with her future daughter)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Windu: ROTS (The final duel)
    Yoda: ROTJ (That music when he becomes one with the Force)
    Palpatine: ROTS and ROTJ (both the speech declaring the Empire in the Senate and the entire Throne room sequence on the Death Star)

Paige: TLJ (I shall watch your career with great interest)
    Aayla: ROTS
    Ki Ad Mundi: ROTS
    Jar Jar: AOTC
    Dooku: AOTC
    Gunray: TPM
    Qui Gon: TPM
    Stormtroopers: ANH and ESB (TK421 and also the chase in Bespin)
    Piett: ESB

I think the last outfit is the one that is more Jedi like for a human. Her hairstyle looks better there also and more Star Wars.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Master_Rebado likes this.
  15. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    The best looking movie in the franchise is ESB:
    [​IMG]
    Everybody in it looks sensational, not the least of which is Carrie Fisher!

Master_Rebado and Prime Jedi like this.
  16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Han - Empire
    Luke - Jedi
    Lando - Empire
    Leia - Jedi

17. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I love Luke's costume in ESB and wish more SW works used it rather than the ROTJ robes as a starting point for designs. I also like Han's jacket. However, I've never liked Leia or Lando's ESB costumes; they felt unusually bland and uninteresting.

18. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Luke - ROTJ - I love the Black Jedi Robes and Tunic
    Leia - ROTJ - Boushh Armor, The Gold Bikini, Endor Battle Gear, The Ewok Dress. Varied outfits with different functions that look great.
    Han - ROTJ - White Shirt and Black Pants, Endor Vest, Classic Outfit. But I mean Han's outfits are pretty nice in every movie he's in. TFA being the least because he only wears one outfit.
    Vader - ROTJ - The armor looks really good here. But I mean, it's always awesome.
    Obi-Wan - ROTS - This is typically what I think of when I think of Obi-Wan
    Yoda - TESB - Maybe it's just nostalgia speaking. But this is where the puppet looked best to me.
    Lando - ROTJ - His general outfit is so cool.
    Padme - AOTC - Yellow Dress, The Blue Tunic, White Combat Gear, etc. Padme slayed in this movie.
    Rey - TLJ - I love how Rey looks with her hair down.
    Finn - TFA - I like Poe's jacket on him, plus Stormtrooper armor is cool.
    Poe - TLJ - Like that we see him a lot in jackets and his flight suit
    Kylo - TFA - The robes and cloak are pretty intimidating.

teamhansolo likes this.
  19. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    @anakinfansince1983 Could this thread be turned into a general costume appreciation type thread, or does that already exist?

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Done.

I just did a quick edit on the title; it can be revised again if needed.

Bazinga'd and teamhansolo like this.
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's a bunch of my favourite costumes in the saga:

Enfys Nest - My absolute favourite. Love the traditional designs and materials that they used, while still managing to give her a badass modern look.

[​IMG]

Kylo Ren (The Rise of Skywalker)

[​IMG]

Rey (The Last Jedi)

[​IMG]

Supreme Leader Snoke

[​IMG]

Chirrut Imwe

[​IMG]

Elite Praetorian Guard

[​IMG]

Boba Fett

[​IMG]

Captain Rex and many other clone troopers

[​IMG]

Sith trooper

[​IMG]

Captain Phasma

[​IMG]

Sabine Wren

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  22. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    These are my favs from the OT/ST characters

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    teamhansolo likes this.
  23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I don't notice costumes as much as others but I've always appreciated the Mandalorian style armor. Despite how complicated the armor might look at first glance I love how simple the armor actually is and how there was more practical thought put into them then it might appear.

Also I like the difference's between Boba's and Jango's armor sets. One is clean without dents or scratches and has an unified pattern reflecting the more professional and cold mindset of Jango Fett. While the other is a stitched together set of chaos with more scratches and dents reflecting the crueler and more savage nature of Boba Fett. Probably not intentional but I like how the costumes tell a lot about these characters.

[​IMG]

24. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I like how Padme's headgear in the senate scenes of Episode I and III evoke lunar crescents.

teamhansolo likes this.
  25. Director Krennic

Director Krennic Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2020
    I copy a few of my own notes as well as an excellent insight by Dannik Jerriko on the costume of Director Krennic -

Although the tailoring is actually inferior, it is outwardly grander (the cloak is the obvious point, it's tailored at the shoulders and has a degree of ''swish'') than the plain Imperial Navy uniform worn by the Grand Moff. The Director, perhaps, feels the need to bolster with ostentation an uncertain position.

The subtle class-indicators in the Empire - and the Rebellion - are brilliant. Taking Ben Mendelsohn, his accent is deliberately, I am sure, not quite up to the mark by British standards. Peter Cushing had the most remarkable, precise diction, which is quite uncannily replicated by Guy Henry, as well as a poise and understatement of manner and bearing suggestive of the born gentleman, ''sprezzatura'' if you like. Director Krennic aspires to such status, but it does not quite work. His tailoring is good, but visibly inferior to the Governor, he has outbreaks of rage, of vindictiveness. All I can say is ''not quite the done thing'', never quite ''one of us''. Living under that burden, with a brilliant mind (far more so, I think, than his superiors) is a constant gall and Mr. Mendelsohn is often evidently uncomfortable with how little he matches what he thinks he ought to be.

What you said about Krennic’s cape struck a chord with me. I was watching the film the other night and I noticed that Krennic’s uniform is often wet and ruffled. When we first see Krennic at the Erso homestead, the cape is fluttering wildly in the wind from the sea. When we see Krennic at Eadu, the pelting rain soaks his uniform and makes his cape stick to his back. It’s as if Krennic is striving to project an image of himself befitting of his high station, but is constantly robbed of his dignity.

A brilliant example of tailoring choice and quality being a fundamental part of character. Also the non-regulation blaster in wood and chromed metal - it is a statement of authority in its bulky design, its extreme power, it's impractical but showy magazines, but it goes too far.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Dream-Thinker and teamhansolo like this.