main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which Movie Introduced the Best New Planets?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Apr 10, 2022.

?

Which Movie Introduced the Best New Planets?

1. A New Hope: Tatooine and Yavin IV

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Empire Strikes Back: Hoth, Degobah, Bespin

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Return of the Jedi: Endor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Phantom Menace: Naboo, Gungan City

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  5. Attack of the Clones: Coruscant, Kamino, Geonosis

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  6. Revenge of the Sith: Utapau, Kashyyyk, Mustafar

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. The Force Awakens: Jakku, Takodana, D’Qar, Starkiller Base

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Last Jedi: Ahch-To, Cantonica, Crait

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Rise of Skywalker: Pasaana, Kijimi, Exegol

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Which Movie Introduced the Best New Planets?

I made some judgement calls. I put Coruscant under AOTC as it is only teased in TPM - we explore it much more in AOTC. I also put Ahch-To under TLJ as it was only teased in TFA. Of course Tatooine doesn't belong under ROTJ or TPM as it had already been introduced. I also didn't include all the Order 66 planets as they are only teased, shown for a few seconds.

I'll have to think about this. I know which ones I will NOT pick.

ANH: Tatooine is iconic but that's pretty much the only unique place in the movie.
    ROTJ: Went back to Tatooine and didn't introduce anything new except Endor which was meh.
    TPM: I love Naboo but back to Tatooine again... meh
    TFA: Carbon copies of previous planets... meh
    TROS: Those planets just didn't do it for me I guess.

Thoughts on the ones that are finalists:

TESB: Expanded the Star Wars universe greatly after ANH. Love all 3 planets introduced.
    AOTC: Love all 3 planets introduced. Kamino might actually be my favorite.
    ROTS: More great planets. I had been wanting to see Mustafar since I was a kid.
    TLJ: I don't like the movie as much as the others but I do love Ahch-To and Crait. Best new planets of the ST IMO.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Tough decision. Part of me feels l like I should pick ANH just because of how central Tatooine ends up being to the saga. Went with Empire because for me, it was the movie that really expanded the Star Wars universe and the different types of planets in it.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How about a little love for R1? I could have done without another desert world, but the asteroid city was something new, and Scarif was a very interesting setting for the final battle.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Empire for me. Hoth is about as different from Tatooine as you can get, and Cloud City blew me away as a kid.

5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    ROTS.
    The planets introduced in that film feel so much more Alien that those in most of the others.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    TPM and AOTC

8. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    The Empire Strikes Back gets my vote...
    with Attack of the Clones being the runner-up.

9. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Don’t think I can choose a favorite film when it comes to this…
    Out of all the worlds mentioned, my favorites would be…
    Bespin, Naboo (partly because of how magical and otherworldly Otoh Gunga is), and Coruscant.

I also really like Takodana, Ahch To, and Kijimi.

10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    There are so many good ones. Bespin's probably the stand-out in the OT. Geonosis and Naboo for the PT.

The ST... Exegol, I guess? Really seems like the only planet with a somewhat original idea or look to it.

Deliveranze and Sarge like this.
  11. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    My bad. I had to leave when I was finishing the poll and R1 and Solo kind of slipped my mind.

That said I personally wouldn't vote for R1 because it has yet another desert planet (if I was going to vote for a desert planet it would be ANH / Tatooine). And to me Scarif is like a more tropical version of Yavin IV.

I see TESB is getting lots of love in this poll as it should but after thinking about it more I think I'll go with AOTC. Coruscant, is pretty amazing, the capital of the Republic. I absolutely love Kamino. I don't like Geonosis as much as some but it is still good. I barely give AOTC the edge over ROTS and TESB but I really love all 3. Those 3 movies did a fantastic job of introducing new unique planets. If I go by trilogy:

OT: TESB
    PT: AOTC barely over ROTS
    ST: TLJ

I'll take it a step further and pick my favorite planet for each movie:

ANH: Tatooine of course
    TESB: Bespin
    ROTJ: Endor by default
    TPM: Naboo of course
    AOTC: Most would say Coruscant or Geonosis but I'm going Kamino.
    ROTS: Most would say Mustafar but I love me some Kashyyyk.
    TFA: Yuck...I guess Takodana
    TLJ: Crait - I like the red sand concept.
    TROS: Kijimi
    Rogue One: Eadu
    Solo: Vandor-1

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  12. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I strongly disagree about Coruscant not being included in TPM. A whole section of the film takes place there (13,3% of the movie, according to LOCATION SCREENTIME, which is far more than many other planets get in other movies) and we see many different locations there that will be reprised in the next two films. That's far from "teasing", in my opinion.
    Otherwise, you could argue that Coruscant actually belongs to ROTS, because it's featured much more prominently in that film.

13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I voted for Empire: Hoth, Dagobah, and Bespin are so iconic. But AotC is right up there for me too. Kamino is quite unique. And also Rogue One.
    I like most all of them in the films really.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Not an easy choice, but I voted for AOTC. While it didn't introduce many new planets, it did re-invent some we already know. We get to see Coruscant in a much more spectacular way than TPM. The opening alone with the Naboo ship gliding through the mist and clouds gives it a more mysterious look. And that speeder chase, though visually slightly reminiscent of Blade Runner, really took the audience on a very dynamic rollercoaster ride through the city, while in TPM everything is more static.
    Same with Naboo. Sure it's been introduced in TPM, but now we get to see the more idyllic spots as well. The Lake Country has a quality and charm of its own, something we didn't see in TPM.
    Tatooine is also shown from a different, darker side, especially when Anakin goes in search of his mother through huge rock formations at sunset.
    Kamino of course. An ocean planet and floating city where it seems to always rain? Nice idea, and probably a great place to visit, especially to me who enjoys rainy days.
    Geonosis wasn't bad either. That reddish tone makes it different from all other planets, and is a great location for the first Clone War battle. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but in the closing scenes Coruscant also has that mysterious reddish sunset type of atmosphere, maybe as an omen of what is to come? Clone battle ships taking off into those red clouds look very stunning visually. So Coruscant is re-invented yet again, this time it's a huge military base with thousands of troops getting ready for battle. While the place seemed peaceful enough before, now it's become more martial and war-like, the starting point of the actual war and this time main base for probably the largest military force ever stationed there. It's clear that the peaceful days are numbered or over.

Samnz likes this.
  15. Thomas Heath

Thomas Heath Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2022

Forgive the transgression, but I had a meta experience reading your list. Once I got to around Carbon, the Alicia Silverstone-yellow reality was invoked. The political, is what is the yellow, and what is the unknowable invocation of Silverstone?

The reason, for the invocation, is Carbon being the colour yellow.

16. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    Most of what I remember from Coruscant in TPM was inside the jedi temple and inside the senate which are locations featured in all 3 prequels. We don't "go outside" much in TPM. The entire first act of AOTC explores a lot of Coruscant in ways that are far beyond what TPM did.

Vote for TPM if you credit it for fully introducing Coruscant :)

On to my next rant. Yes Tatooine was very iconic in A New Hope but we didn't really have to go back there over and over or have carbon copy planets like Jakku and Jedha. I realized that Tatooine is in 5 of the first 6 episodes. In my opinion it belongs in Episode IV and III and that's the only ones that use it well IMO. TESB is the only one that didn't go back to Tatooine.

If you take out the deleted Jabba scene from ANH then Jabba doesn't HAVE to live on Tatooine. The first act of ROTJ could have easily been on another planet. Likewise Anakin didn't HAVE to be from Tatooine. He could have been from another new planet. To be honest I was slightly disappointed when ROTJ went back to Tatooine instead of giving us something new. I was even more disappointed that TPM went back to Tatooine. I was like...really Lucas? And having TFA start off on Jakku (which is basically Tatooine with a different name) was just cringe worthy.

Dear Lucasfilm,

Star Wars doesn't have to take place in a desert.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  17. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    It's a tough choice for me between AOTC and ROTS but I chose ROTS just because Utapau was interesting and Mustafar was badass. I'm with Sarge as far as adding Rogue One and Solo to the poll. We got Scarif, Corellia, Eadu, Vandor, Mimban, Savareen, Kessel, etc

Sarge likes this.
  18. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    I acknowledge the oversight but would you really vote for R1 over ROTS?

Count Yubnub and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    That's not what I said. I just think it would have been a good option since some of the planets in the anthologies were new and interesting.

20. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    well two things

1) I believe a poll is limited to 9 options
    2) isn't the 'saga' I-IX?

why would R1 and Solo be included?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  21. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    TESB and AOTC are currently leading the poll. Both of those are in my top 3 along with ROTS. I love when SW movies introduce us to 3 or more unique planets and I feel like all 3 of those do that.

I also have to give special props to the SW movies that DID NOT go back to the desert for an extended period of time. That would be TESB, ROTS, TLJ, and Solo. I don't know why Lucasfilm thinks they have to go back to the desert all the time for nearly every SW movie.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^It's the most iconic/ nostalgic SW setting, so no surprise Disney wants to run it dry.

I don't see Crait as that original. I can't believe they had a random soldier actually pick up the white stuff from the ground, taste it and say "Salt". As if that makes it totally unique when visually it's pretty much just Hoth with some gimmicky red powder trailing around.

darkspine10, Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  23. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    True, Crait is very Hoth like.

24. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Episodes II and V are currently tied.

Excellent. Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. :p

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We see what you did there. No water for you. [face_shame_on_you]

darkspine10 and Saga_Symphony like this.