Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo
, Feb 8, 2016.
Perhaps it is a generational thing that means ROTS is beating the best score (imo) TESB
I mean I am 44 years old and I think the TESB score is fantastic, but overrated. It leans a bit too much on the Imperial March, in my opinion.
Random, but because of TLJ I have become addicted to TIE Fighter Attack.
ESB. Can't go past The Imperial March and Battle in the Snow
I'm of the OT generation and I would say ROTS is the best (marginally) but I think the point is that it takes you back to the excitement of the OT and set's it all up. So on the one hand you have all these great themes but with the great adventure and emotion that mixes it all together.
ANH is my favourite, it has all the iconic tracks and I feel I could identify all the scenes in the movie just from the music. The Throne Room is my favourite track.
'Into the Trap' from ROTJ is my favourite from that film. It was used a lot in the X-wing games. I have also grown really fond of the TFA soundtrack, March of the Resistance, Kylo's theme, Rey's theme and the Jedi Steps are all ones that come to mind. I think the TPM soundtrack is the best of the prequels, I don't really remember much from the other two.
Whilst that is unarguably the signature track, I think it is strongest all round. Yoda and the Force, the Asteroid Field, Battle of Hoth are all really strong musical set pieces.
I love all the harps that seem to be most prevalent on this soundtrack. It feels the most operatic to me too. I love Rebel Fleet / End titles, because when I hear all the leitmotif themes one after another in the end piece, it conjures up an image of the end an opera or show or something where each performer or character comes back on at the end to rapturous applause from the audience, before the curtain closes on the entire cast as they all bow then wave to the audience lol
Yoda's theme is my favorite new theme from TESB for sure. Also, you're right. TESB has some of the best ending music into the End Titles of all the films.
ESB all the way!
The Phantom Menace
I am torn between ESB or ROTS ... The work for the Last Jedi is good too =)
That Return of the Jedi score is one for the ages. The OT scores got better and better with each film. Amazing.
The ROTJ score almost makes me teary eyed...good gracious.
TPM and ROTS were very strong as well.
ROTS. Comes in at a close second. John is just amazing at what he does
No love for shadows of the empire?
Return of the Jedi.
I have to rank because of how much I've been listening to these lately...
1. ESB - it's like a pop album how listenable it is from front to back. Yoda's theme, Imperial March, Cloud City themes, Han & Leia's theme and the falcon chase scenes and the way even Han & Leia's theme is made into action themes at times is WOW.....what a collection of stuff to premiere in one soundtrack....
2. TPM - duel of the fates, anakin's theme, march of the separatists....like the film itself, I look back at this one with more appreciation all the time.
3. ROTJ - all 3 ewok songs, Luke & Leia theme, Emperor's theme, final duel theme, so much to love here
4. ANH - throne room fanfare, rebel fanfare, original theme, theme to the force/binary sunset/burning homestead, cantina songs, the pre-imperial march themes and space battle stufff....freakin' wow. If these themes weren't replayed (as they well should have been) in the other films than this would probably be the favorite/best of most consistently
5. ROTS - Battle of the heroes is an epic update variation on duel of the fates and the way it "previews" a lot of the Episode IV themes is pretty impressive and nice.
6. TFA - rey's theme and how it plays with theme to the force is awesome, jedi steps and the end credits is great
7. AOTC - across the stars is not as good as Han & Leia's theme but it's a very worthy attempt to give Padme/Anakin something in that vein and still a super catchy theme
8. TLJ may end up getting higher on the list when I listen to the score, based purely on the film it seems to have a generous helping of the old themes so that's not the highest praise but still might mean it's a great listen!
Me too - it's also used on Hyperspace Mountain at Disney. Works really well there. Fun track, never gets old.
ESB is not my favorite or anything (though it's close), but IMO it's ROTJ that actually leans too much on the Imperial march. The slower version of it is literally at every cut scene involving Vader or the Empire, and in some cases repeated throughout the scenes.
See I actually think ROTJ uses the Imperial March better than TESB does in many places.
My 2018 rankings!
ROTS it is emotionally haunting.
This is exactly the same for me, only TPM and ROTJ would be switched around.
There needs to be a new poll with Rogue One included IMO
Nothing beats a good old Temple March