main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which of the trilogies is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Jan 5, 2020.

?

Which trilogy is your personal favorite?

1. Prequel trilogy

35 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Original trilogy

62 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. Sequel trilogy

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. I prefer the 6 Lucas films to any trilogy on its own

44 vote(s)
    26.5%
  5. I prefer the 9 film Skywalker Saga to any trilogy on its own

17 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I love the entire saga, but the sequel trilogy is my favourite. Three 10/10 films. Just absolute perfection.

2. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The OT is my religion. I also the PT and ST.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    OT and ST. OT by a slight neck

devilinthedetails and Sarge like this.
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    My personal favorite trilogy is the PT. I love the worldbuilding of planets like Coruscant, Naboo, Kamino, and the slave quarters of Tatooine. I find the politics of a great republic falling due to internal corruption interesting and increasingly relevant to a modern society. I find the tragic hero aspect of Anakin's rise and fall to the Dark Side emotionally compelling, leaving me inevitably in tears by the end of ROTS. I'm drawn to tragedies, and to me the PT in general and ROTS in particular, was excellent tragedy. I was fascinated by the PT Jedi culture: everything from the Temple with its Archives and Council chamber to the Master-Padawan bonds and the Chosen One prophecy was intriguing to me. Obi-Wan, my all-time favorite Star Wars character, is also a main and well-developed character in those films. It was also the PT that was a gateway to me enjoying Star Wars media beyond the movies. The PT got me hooked on juvenile series like the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest series, nourishing a love of Star Wars novels in me that has yet to die.

That being said, I have a deep respect for the OT and understand why others prefer that trilogy. It has some truly excellent characters like Han and Leia, has a compelling classic hero's journey with Luke, and deals with some moving themes about redemption and coming to terms with the "monster" or the Dark Side in ourselves and how that Dark Side can be triumphed over not through anger and hatred but mercy. Without that trilogy's success, I'd never have gotten the PT, and the OT is also the first Star Wars movies I watched with my father as a little girl. I also have many great memories of dressing up as Leia as a little girl and of playing with action figures and Star Wars toys with my younger brother. The OT establishes a very high standard of excellence.

Those familiar with my posts probably know that I find the ST to be my least favorite of the saga by quite a considerable margin, but in a way that is a testimony to how much I love the PT and the OT. I still find the ST to be overall a fun series, and I'm interested to see how the people who were kids when the ST came out feel about the ST in a decade or so--just to see if they end up loving it and defending it as millennials/early Gen-Z have loved and defended the PT.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I love them all, even now including the ST. But I think still, the PT is going to keep having that special place in my heart. It was the trilogy that helped me become the hardcore fan that I am, it happened right when I was in college and during a memorable time in my life, and some of my most memorable movie theatre experiences to this day were experiencing those films in the theater for the first time.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm gonna go with GL's six. Up until very recently I would have stuck to the OT on its own, but I'm really starting to appreciate the giant, epic universe the PT brought to SW. Now I can't imagine SW without it.

7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The OT is my religion. I also love the PT and ST.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    OT. I think in simply in terms of film quality(and importance the medium) it is the best. I do respect the PT for having a more complex story but it just doesn't hit the marks the OT does. The ST is weakest by far.

Samuel Vimes and Emperor Ferus like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Prequels hands down.

Love the OT too though!

10. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Definitely the Lucas six saga for me, but choosing between them... The OT is classic, has my most favorite characters, and just seems more well-done and hits the right tones, so I have to go with the OT.

The PT era and story is arguably more compelling though.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  11. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    It has to be the original trilogy. I still think the 1st 2 films of that trilogy remain unsurpassed. It’s the classic. Star Wars would not exist without it. I actually think it stands pretty well on its own as a coming of age story for Luke Skywalker. The overwhelming majority of the most memorable characters, moments, lines, etc. come from that trilogy. Everyone knows lines such as “May the Force be with you” and “I am your father.” Everyone knows who Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Yoda and Jabba the Hutt are. Everyone knows these designs. I have a hard time naming a more iconic film, aside from maybe The Wizard of Oz.

I just don’t see how you could argue for anything else being better.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I picked the prequels for the world building, and for the overarching storyline, along with the memorable characters. Not saying you're wrong, just explaining where someone else might be coming from ;)

devilinthedetails likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I appreciate the PT for the context and world building it added through the epic, operatic scope of its story, and really enjoy the ST as a fun and satisfying, if sometimes uneven, continuation/conclusion to the Saga, but it's going to have to be the OT for me and it's not even close.

It helps that A New Hope is my favorite film, ever, but even beyond that, everything about it resonates with me more strongly than the other two trilogies. The characters, the story, the designs, the action sequences, the emotional moments, the delicate tonal balance. The OT is Star Wars, and everything else is just playing in its sandbox.

Sarge and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    It is the ST for me that is my favorite of the Saga. But I aslo ,oove them all and they all aprt of my watchtrough marathon. PT has thhe best era, OT the best story, the ST has the best acting. But i love them all.

15. ThePhilistineCritic

Apr 1, 2020
    I can grant the worldbuilding and overarching storyline, but I strongly disagree about the memorable characters. Are any of the prequel characters really as iconic as the original trilogy characters I named above (and I’m not counting characters like Yoda and R2-D2 who were already iconic from appearing in the original trilogy). I’d actually argue that the two most iconic characters from the prequels are probably Darth Maul and Jar Jar Binks (albeit the latter only became iconic because he became a lightning rod for criticism).

Seriously, once this quarantine is over, go into a bar and ask people if they really remember Qui-Gon Jinn, Padmé Amidala, Count Dooku or Mace Windu? I guarantee you they won’t remember them as well as Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Chewie, the droids, etc.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Will the same be true in 20 years when more prequel fans frequent bars?

Just asking in good faith. I'm not disagreeing about the OT's status, but I feel like the PT has a acquired its own fanbase, although generally younger.

17. ThePhilistineCritic

Apr 1, 2020
    Someone who was 8 years old in 1999 is certainly old enough to go to a bar now, though.

In fact, about 2 years ago, I actually went on a Tinder date with a young college student (she was 19). I remember her saying, “Oh, God, you don’t like those prequels, do you?” They’re also not very popular at most of the cons I’ve been to. And I say this as someone who generally doesn’t hate the prequel trilogy.

I think the sequel trilogy has improved its reputation somewhat. Now, I typically that the prequels really weren’t good but that they were at least ambitious and had a real story to tell.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    My brother was born two months prior to TPM being released, and he's old enough to go to a bar now :p

It's easy to forget, but TPM is only a year younger now than ANH was when TPM was released. It's an "old" movie by young people standards.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well...When your right your right....Or at the very least the OT has one thing that no other Star Wars film will ever have ever again..."Lack of Self Awareness"

I feel like every trilogy PT, ST....Sequel Sequel Trilogy :p (It's gonna happen) are all gonna have some sort of self awareness to them that the OT will never have. Granted sometimes they lean to hard into the "THIS IS STAR WARS" but I do get the sense watching the PT and ST that they have the idea in mind that you either know about or have at least seen the OT in some form.

When a lightsaber shows up, it's gonna be played as a big deal.

When we go into hyperspace for the first time, it's gonna be played up for Hype (Granted ANH did that too a little bit but you know Hyperspace is cool looking but not like it is now)

The films know that you have seen the OT...Granted I think the PT may have played it a bit more subtler in it's self awareness it was still there.

I'm not even a OT purist but if one looks at the OT as sorta the epicenter of it all then, yeah this is a actually interesting way to look at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If I had to choose just one it's the Original Trilogy, but the prequels would be next.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OT, easily. It is the foundation (or should be) for all Star Wars content that comes after it, and gave us the iconic and legendary characters who were role models for many of us GenXers.

I like the PT a lot though. I appreciate the world building, the back stories on Anakin and Obi-Wan, and the subtle (or arguably not subtle) commentary on how democracies become dictatorships.

The ST has its moments. I love Finn and Poe, I like Rose, I liked seeing the OT characters again and I liked Luke’s warnings against letting organized religion become too dogmatic.

22. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The Original Trilogy, forever and always.

I greatly enjoy the PT and the ST I'm mostly indifferent to, even though I appreciate aspects of the trilogy.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  23. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    The 6 Lucas films. I love the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy.
    I do not care for the Disney sequels.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The OT. I love both the PT and the ST, but the OT was what I watched as a kid, and it will forever be what I compare all other Star Wars movies to.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I'll have to go with the PT as my favorite, though I love the OT as a very close second. Both trilogies weave together to form one story. I guess I'm more of a fan of all the original six films...but I still favor the PT overall a bit more.

As for the ST...I don't acknowledge that as part of Skywalker Saga, and I strongly dislike Disney's Star Wars movies.