main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Which of these films was the most disappointing?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Apr 6, 2015.

?

The biggest letdown was....

1. The Hobbit Trilogy

29.7%
  2. The Star Wars Prequels

37.8%
  3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

32.4%
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have always taken issue with the assertion that Raiders is a cinematic trifle. I think the film has some fairly complicated things going on. I think Indy in Raiders is a deeper character than people remember. The scene where Indy threatens to destroy the ark with the missile is some really, really fine acting by Ford in my opinion.

You can make a case for the sequels being more straight action-adventures with substantially less drama, well, the second one anyway; I still find scenes from the third one very emotionally effecting. But call me crazy, I give all three of the originals four stars. They're basically perfect movies in my opinion. So, yeah, I think they're worthy of viewing as a masterful film series and thus I think it's fair to hate Crystal Skull. I mean, I'm not frothing at the mouth about it. But it was awful and I was hoping it wouldn't be.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I do not normally have an issue, beyond preference or taste, with reboots of films and plot retreads, eg. the various iterations of Spiderman, the rebooting of Bond, etcetera; but among other problems with Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, but I just could not get past that the crystal skulls had already been found and dealt with by the Doctor Daniel Jackson and the folks at Stargate Command.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    There's nothing inherently wrong with a movie being narratively simple. The Room is a fairly complex movie, after all.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The Hobbit movies can't let me down because I lowered my expectations drastically after the first, which meant the second one was able to surprise me and the third had no power over me whatsoever.

I was 9 when Episode 1 came out so I loved it. I was a dumb 12 year old when 2 came out, so I loved it. I was a dumb teenager when 3 came out so I thought it was all edgy and stuff.

So I have to go with Indy 4, but even that's odd because I saw it with friends and we all just laughed at the dumb stuff.

#blessed

MrZAP likes this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    KOTCS is out; for the same reason that Ender claims it as the most disappointing, I'll claim it as the least: there was at least something there even if there were a lot of bad decisions around it. The Hobbit movies are just awful, easily the wrost films as films in this little contest. But I didn't expect much after they got bloated, and their being bad doesn't really impact anything else. They don't rewrite the book. I can ignore them and go about my day. The prequels, on the other hand, though having a few redeeming features, are just poorly constructed and made a lot of bad choices that have kept impacting Star Wars. They're the most disappointing because they had the most on the line when they dropped the ball.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    ...says the man with a prequels Obi-Wan icon :p

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I said they had a few redeeming features!

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They ended?

Edit: oh ew. Imagine a world where AotC was *still* going...

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The prequels, easily. I was never invested in the Indy films, aside from having caught them on TV occasionally, and I never viewed them as anything more than popcorn flicks. So I never became that attached to them to feel that a bad entry "taints" the series. You need a degree of attachment to feel that way.

With the LOTR trilogy, while I can say that I regard the films highly, it's more of a sober appreciation than the kind of obsessed fandom I got from first discovering Star Wars at the age of 12. Thus, the Hobbit trilogy doesn't bother me. I can watch them as light entertainment and forget about them afterwards. My fondness for the first trilogy still stands, unaffected.

The Star Wars prequels ruined Star Wars for me. They turned a simple story, where one of its charms was precisely its simplicity, into something attempting to be complex without succeeding. And its deliberate attempt at elaborating on the first trilogy meant that the original story was also tainted for me now. You could argue that I can just ignore it, and I would like to, but sadly what has been seen can not be unseen. It took away the mystery of not knowing and instead of replacing mystery with something wonderful worthy of knowing, only delivered crap that you regret knowing. [face_plain]

Sarge, SuperWatto and CT-867-5309 like this.
  11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i am shocked that the prequels are now last in this poll, albeit only just. i am not only shocked but appalled. shocked and appalled. and disappointed. shocked, appalled and disappointed. i blame the kids, always the kids.

12. epic

Jul 4, 1999
  13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm going to have to go with the prequels: I'd actually hoped that they'd be good and was invested in the outcome, while I really couldn't care less about the quality of the latest Tolkien screen sludge.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Y am i in danthejedi group :(

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    L
    O
    R
    D
    V
    I
    V
    E
    C
    !

MrZAP, Ender Sai and dp4m like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Now 19, 19, and 20.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Pretty sure it's the empty set group because we're voting on disappointing nerdy movie franchises on a Star Wars message board in 2015.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This must be the first time I'm kinda rooting for the prequels.

20. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Ender Sai youre the odd Dutch(ish) one out. The Debo and watto combo beats your group. It's just the way it is

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but you have Valyn who makes questionable decisions.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Does Valyn have a sock I don't know about?

Am I it? [face_worried]

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There's two people who picked horrible fanboy names for their accounts - Legolas Skywalker and Ezio Skywalker. These names are just the worst, breaking their fall on the squishy surface absolute of the worst name DarthTunes™.

Anyway, Ezio is Valyn.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I can't agree, unfortunately. It's just no Summer Dreamer.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You don't have to agree; you don't agree warp drives are possible too either. Doesn't maek you rights. I read io9 and it said DarthTunes™ was teh worst.

Lord Vivec and SuperWatto like this.