main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which scene most often brings tears to your eyes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ananta Chetan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I think ROTS hits me the most on the inside.

But the scene where Shmi dies in Anakin's arms. Knowing that he promised to free her (I guess he technically does) and that she is basically only alive because of her will to see Anakin one last time... it's so tragic.

Hayden does very well with Pernilla, especially because it's their first and only scene. His kiss on her hand is touching.

I don't know how to put it into words. There's just something so harrowing about the contrast of their goodbye and reunion. He leaves on a quest of hope, but returns on a quest of desperation.

2. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    None really stand out to me to be honest. I think Yoda dying comes closest. But it's nothing compared to, say, Boromir's death in LOTR.

BoromirsFan and Sarge like this.
  3. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    surprisingly, the Qui-Gon death from TPM tends to get me, even though it was fairly quick and simple. More so than Vader's death anyway.

Yoda, and Obi-Wan's deaths were pretty 'feels' as well.

I know Anakin's mom dying was supposed to be heart wrenching too, but I can't take anything Hayden did in AOTC seriously. Maybe that scene should have been in ROTS when he had improved a bit, but i suppose it kinda had to happen when he was younger...oh well.

4. Jedispy77

Jedispy77 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2015
    This is a great question, and thank you to Ananta Chetan for asking it.

Two scenes come to mind for me.

First, although I have many, many problems with the pacing, timing and overall execution of the PT movies, the story was very compelling. The scene in ROTS when the youngling says, "Master Skywalker, there are too many of them. What are we going to do?" That little one was just so young. Second, my all-time favorite scene in the SW saga between Yoda and Luke in ESB. It encompasses everything Star Wars has meant for me in my life.

"For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it. Makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree ... the rock, everywhere. Yes, even between this land and that ship." - Yoda

Ananta Chetan and DaveyWanKenobi like this.
  5. Steve1988

Steve1988 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    In no particular order
    1. Anakin on fire after fighting obi wan
    2. Padme funeral
    3. Anakin knelling to darth sidious
    4.Darth sidious knocking mace windu out the window

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Han

7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Yup.

SophieCo and Seagoat like this.
  8. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Most of ROTS. Especially the last. 20 minutes of the movie? Order 66 even though i barely knew any of those jedi, i just hate the bad guys winning. :_|

9. SophieCo

SophieCo Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't really cry at movies, but the "You were the Chosen One!" scene in RotS definitely makes me feel all the feels. I think Ewan is just perfect in that entire scene (or movie, for that matter), you can really feel Obi-Wan's deep regret at how things turned out.
    Order 66 as well.
    And maybe the second time Shmi tells Anakin not to look back in TPM, I don't know why. But only minor sads, nothing like the above.

10. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    "your breaking my heart", would be it for me, "it's to late for me, son" is also up there.

11. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

Yep, order 66 and particularly when Yoda grabs his chest and drops his kane.

12. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Rey holding Anakin's lightsaber in her hand with a look of wonder on her face after she uses the Force to pull it out of the snow. It got me every time so far.

AniLukeRey and Sarge like this.
  13. Duc Langur

Duc Langur Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    For me it's during climactic scene ROTJ as Luke is being tortured to death by the Emperor, he shouts out "father!!" and a moment later Vader makes his choice and saves his son, and you hear the force theme...

Sarge likes this.
  14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

Also that scene in ESB when chewie gets locked up and starts crying.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  15. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I have a few myself.

In ANH, when Luke and Ben come across the slain Jawas. Prior to that, in the scene where Uncle Owen is buying droids, the scene paints the Jawas as crooked [they try to sell him a faulty droid at first] and possibly thieves [whose to say they didn't steal some of the droids they were selling, rather than legit trading and bartering] and then seeing the aftermath of the Empire's forces. Even if they weren't the best people/aliens to ever exist, they didn't deserve that. The sad music really adds to that scene in my opinion. It doesn't really bring me to tears, or close to it, but you can't help but pity them.

Then after that, of course, is Luke racing home and discovering Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's corpses. I think what hits me is before this is where Uncle Owen shoots down Luke's dreams of joining the Academy. Luke wanted adventure and to leave Tatooine behind, but not like this.

Next up, I'd say the scene in ROTJ where Vader threatens to turn Leia. Right when Luke ignites his light saber and Vader looks at him almost in shock. Then comes the music and Vader at first puts a half-hearted attempt to fend off Luke's attacks, but then he basically gives up and starts retreating....and retreating. In that moment, again with the music track, you can feel Vader's regret at his remark to his own son. He's reminded of how he would've given anything to save Padme, and then he forces Luke into a similar position. I've seen some people on other sites complain on how he practically just sits down for Luke to wail on him with his lightsaber. In my mind, I see him as thinking along the lines of "What have I done to my son? I deserve death." and allowing Luke the oppurtunity to strike him down, more as punishment for his actions rather than an attempt to twist him for the darkside.

Then, the scene where he keeps looking indecisively between Luke and Palpetine, as the Emperor barrages the young Jedi with Force lightening. He's faced with the choice of saving his son or standing by the Emperor's side. Up til that point, Palpetine has become his main purpose for existence, whether he hates him or not. The Emperor has given him something to live for, furthering the Empire's goals. Or he saves his estranged son, whom he feels rejected by [the revelation scene in Empire] even though he knows Luke wants to redeem him. Which leads into the next scene where he impulsively picks up the Emperor, you hear his respirator exhaling as he is showered with lightning while carrying the Emperor towards the open shaft, up until he falls to the ground both in spiritual and physical exhaustion. By that point he knows he screwed up and finally admits it, but he's determined to at least save his son if not himself.

Lastly would be Vader's unmasking scene. Underneath the mask and the voice...is a tired old man filled wtih remorse and regret finally letting go of his hatred, and no longer hiding from his misdeeds. And as others have said, hearing the Imperial March on the harp while the camera briefly focuses on Sebastion Shaw's face, still hidden a bit beneath the lower part of the breath mask, gets to me. Even if to some, it's strange to have such an old man play Anakin unmasked as an adult, I think Lucas really nailed it with his casting. It's why I sometimes wished rather than retcon Vader as being in his 40's and looking older because of his life decisions, I wish they would've just written Anakin and Padme has being a bit older and have Luke and Leia in their later years, close to their 40's. And left Shaw as the Force ghost, it's not so much that I dislike the changes that Lucas made as that I just really enjoy what Shaw brought to the role, no matter how brief it was. It was bittersweet seeing Anakin as the kind, old man he would've been at that time if the darkness never consumed him. If Lucas wanted to link to the PT, they should've had the Shaw ghost morph into Hayden's appearance, or somehow had their visages overlaying each other.

I find the funeral scene moving, but it doesn't actually move me to tears either. It's just sad to see after Anakin's struggles and failures, his dark remains are engulfed in flames similar to how the spirit and body of the man he once was was similarly burned in ROTS. He basically dies twice in a sense.

Edit: Forgot to mention that in the scenes I listed, John Williams is the major part in how I feel about each scene. It's not simply there as an afterthought. He truly contributes to the character's feelings and motivations. I really appreciate that Lucas chose him as the composer for the soundtrack. It just wouldn't be the same without Williams or his orchestra.

jc1138 likes this.
  16. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This one. Every. Single. Time.

[​IMG]

17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

I was very polarized the first time I saw Padme's funeral. I wasn't sure how it served the movie as it seemed just as depressing as seeing Mace Windu's corpse hit the ground but there is so much beauty in this scene and the somber music makes it one of the saga's most touching and bittersweet.

18. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    No tears, but extreme chills happen thanks to the following scenes:

Qui-Gon's funeral

Anakin riding the swoop bike to 'Duel of the Fates' & Shmi's death

Ruminations, Order 66 (Particularly Ki-Adi-Mundi's death), Anakin's immolation, Death of Padme / Birth of Darth Vader

Tatooine twin suns

Anakin's death, Endor Celebration + Anakin (Hayden) smiling and looking proud of Luke.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Order 66

Major TFA spoilers

Han Solo's death

Prisic Duskleap and Darth__Lobot like this.
  20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Order 66.

"You were the Chosen One!"

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

TFA spoilers:
    Han Solo's death and Chewbacca's reaction.

Prisic Duskleap and DBPirate like this.
  21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'd say the entire Order 66 sequence, though I've never outright burst into hysterical tears from that scene. It comes close though.
    And definitely Chewie's reaction to Han's death. It wasn't even that bad until Chewie yelled. *tear*

Sarge likes this.
  22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Anakin running back to Shmi for one last goodbye in TPM.

23. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

This, absolutely.

24. BombBurro

BombBurro Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2015
    When Obi-wan yells, " you where my brother Anakin"

“You’ll know you’re making real progress on the Sith path when you go from being suicidal to homicidal.” Darth Revanus

25. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Various scenes in all the films resonate nostalgically for me and tend to evoke a few tears. Order 66 and many of the bits from ROTS in particular. Yesterday I found myself crying woefully when Vader struck down Obi-wan as their whole history just suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks.

Prisic Duskleap and Evening Star like this.