main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which side do you support in the Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Jun 15, 2014.

?

Which side do you support in the Clone Wars

1. Galactic Republic

35 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Confederacy of Independent Systems

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011

Regardless, it is clear that Dooku is in on the plot to kill the Jedi, which is obviously tied into the plot to create an Empire. After all, a man named Tyranus hired Jango Fett to be the clone template and Dooku's Sith name is Darth Tyranus. Not hard to put two and two together.

2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    The Sith secretly ruled both factions so I don't support either one.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And if you were a common citizen, not privy to that knowledge?

4. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    The Republic.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Non-aligned. Neutral.

6. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Well, I think the films only really only portray one side of the Separatist and their motives are always shown to be greedy and selfish. However, if we look at the actually political situation of what is happening and the reason it is happening and how each side reacts, I would summarize:

The Separatist are doing right thing for the wrong reasons and the Republic are doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

What I mean by this is; the Republic has grown so large and bureaucratic, they no longer effectively follow their own ideals and laws. The Jedi make major choices and decisions without any vote or consent of the people within the Republic they are supposed to be serving. The leaders of the Republic are supposed to be serving the will of the people they represent; but instead they just do whatever they want for their own interest. While it's true the Senate still functions; it no longer functions properly.

Basically, the Republic by the time of Attack of the Clones is the Empire; it's just a watered down version of it.

The Separatist are basically rebelling against the same things the Rebel Alliance later does; except they are doing it for completely the wrong selfish reasons. Within the context of the films, both sides are just pawns of Sidious regardless.

The Republic is fighting for the right ideals and noble goals, but the end result doesn't pan-out. The Separatist however are fighting for all the wrong reasons, except if they actually succeeded; would have arguably resulted in a period of relative peace, as they would have ended hostilities after gaining Independence. In this scenario it's possibly the Republic would not have become the Empire as we know it in the OT.

Instead, even if it did become an Empire; it would have been a far less powerful and dangerous one. The Empire would either have to work peacefully with the new separatist government or continue to fight them to regain their sovereignty.

I might be reading too much into it, but I think that was sorta what Lucas was going for; its a tragedy of conflict with regular people caught in the middle there is no real better side in the end; in the end the result is the same.

7. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    I think the Separatists had noble goals, they were just pawns of Sidious and Dooku. If they would have had noble leadership I think the situation would have been very different.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the fate of Mini Bonteri in TCW shows what happens to the truly noble among the Separatists when Dooku finds out about them.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sidious was the ultimate problem. I believe under Dooku without undue influence the CIS would be noble indeed. Motivation is key. I still think some oversimplify or justify things a bit too easily. If the Jedi are so noble they shouldn't act the way they did.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Regardless of Sidious's "undue influence on Dooku" - it's not like he's being mind-controlled. As a (former) Jedi Master, he can't be called weak-minded - he bears responsibility for his own actions.

11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    It was genius of Palpatine to start a war with him playing both sides against each other I voted for the galactic republic because it was the source of it all Dooku was brought in as puppet to elude suspicion on the emperor they waited 300 years to destroy the first republic then 2000 years to succeed completely that took alot of planning & lasted for another 60 years at least. Maybe my figures don' add up but thats my opinion

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Seps because I believe in the right to secceed. We're told that planets willingly joined the Seps. The Republic is forcing planets to be part of it.

Separatist101 and Seagoat like this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's thinking like that which would have prevented a war in the first place. It's not like some systems seceding from the Republic would be an utterly crippling blow

EDIT: I should say that, so as a result of this thinking, I don't really support either side in the war because it would have been so easy for there not to be a war at all

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    From James Luceno's Labyrinth of Evil:

Yoda was correct, Obi-Wan told himself. If the Jedi hadn't learned of the clone army, Dooku's Separatists would have suddenly appeared on the scene with tens of millions of battle droids, fleets of warships, and seceded from the Republic without contest. But there would have been no coexisting with the Confederacy. Ultimately it would have bled the Republic dry. War would have been inevitable, and the Jedi would have been caught in the middle, as they were now.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't necessarily see that as an inevitable fact; that's mere speculation on Obi-Wan's part

I see absolutely no reason why the Seps would NEED to use a military move to secede. It's as simple as both sides negotiating a treaty until all parties are satisfied

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    With the problem being that Dooku and Palpatine don't want both sides negotiating a treaty. In fact, when diplomats on both sides (Padme and Mina Bonteri) try to restart negotiations, Dooku arranges for Mina's assassination.

17. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    I prefer the side that doesn't point blasters at ms if I don't follow their rules.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Neither I support Palpatine and his empire! :D

19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I think it is pointless to support either side, since both were led by Palpatine. The Clone Wars was simply a tool for him to rise further in power and get rid of the Jedi. It really didn't matter who would end up winning the war.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  20. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    I think the question is more who you would support if you were an average person in GFFA and didn't know that Palpatine was manipulating everything. For my part I think I would support the CIS, given how ineffectual the bureaucracy of the Republic had become.

21. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    The problem with this is that neither Obi-Wan or Yoda knew the full picture of what was really going on. Neither was aware that Palpatine was the leader of both sides. Or that the clone army would prove to be very lethal to the Jedi Order. Luceno wrote a very ironic paragraph.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I support the heroes on both sides; those who are genuinely trying to make the galaxy a better place.

23. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Both sides were rife with corruption, beurocracy and war profiteering, so neither side was good. However I think the Galactic Republic could have been reformed without conflict or illegal secession.

If the Confederacy won, the galaxy would splinter off into numerous factions and further conflict would be inevitable. The Separatists wanted different things. Some like the Trade Federation wanted less taxation, members of the Separatist senate (admirably) wanted a less corrupt government and Zygeria wanted to expand their slave empire. Others like Grevious just wanted to destroy the Republic and Jedi Order.

All these loosely coaffilated groups in the CIS wouldn't remain allies in the long-run; they would be at each other's necks soon enough. The galaxy would be better off under a unified and less corrupt Republic.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    whostheBossk and Tonyg like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If I had to choose one, I'd say the Galactic Republic. At least in the way they were presented, the CIS was made of systems that seceded mostly due to their interest in financial endeavors and bids for control of resources, and less about peace and a universal value for good (as the Republic was presented to be).

Ultimately though, the PT proves that no one form of government is perfect-since the Republic itself had even become corrupted by greed and complacency, which is how everything all began in the first place. The more prominent factions in the CIS (Trade Federation, Commerce Guilds, etc.) were in fact the corrupt and greed-driven parties originating from within the Republic, and were among the first ones that seceded and formulated the Separatist Movement-so no one type of government is immune to corruption at its source.

The side that represents peaceful liberty is the side I support.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'd support the Republic if I were a regular citizen in a galaxy far, far away. The Republic has some corruption issues, but at least we still get to see politicians with some sense of nobility and concern for the public good like Padme, Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma. Whereas with the Separatists, there leaders are basically just corporations like the Trade Federation and Banking Clan so it'd be government by big business.

To use a real world example, I'm a US citizen. I definitely think the US government has some corruption issues and would support many reform measures. However, if I had a choice between current US government and government by Walmart, McDonalds, and Amazon, I'd take current government every day of the week.

The big thing to remember, though, is the idea of choice with regard to Republic or Separatist is all an illusion manufactured by Palpatine who manipulated this war into exist. Republic or Separatist, doesn't matter. Either way, it is government by Palpatine, who intends to transform the galaxy into an Empire.

Tonyg likes this.