main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Which Sidious Palpatine do you prefer?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by SateleNovelist11, Nov 7, 2022.

?

Which Palpy do you prefer?

1. Darth Sidious Palpatine (original EU)

75.0%
  2. Sheev Palpatine, a.k.a. Darth Sidious (Disney canon)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can't decide

18.8%
  4. Neither

6.3%
  1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    In terms of power, I prefer the original EU Sidious Palpatine. But I do like how Disney cannon portrays Palpatine in animation...just not necessarily in the comics.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Personally, my view is that EU Sidious was the worst nightmare Plagueis could have chosen as an apprentice/partner. He would've been better off with Dooku. But that whole bent...shows that Palpatine is a very learned politician and sorcerer.

The Disney canon emphases is darker psychological traits more fully. It's less about his profession and how he wants to be a dark god. Rather, it's more about his sociopathy.

Personally, I don't like Palpatine because he serves as what Alan Moore would call an inspiration to fascists and incels. But I don't mind how he's been influenced by other villains or if he basically causes real life actors to want to use their skills in acting on par with Ian McDiarmid.

I mean, let's talk about Ian for example. His dad wanted him to be a psychologist, counselor, or something. So, Ian got that master's degree and then ran away and became an actor. If you think about it, Ian's pretty nice and he's sort of an anti-Palpatine in a way. He's got this naughty, jokey side he shares with fans, but Lucas was right. He's nothing like the Emperor.

Palpatine is a spoiled person who despised his vile father and took it out on the entire galaxy. Not a nice guy. Very Hitler-like, and that's why I don't have sympathy for him.

3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Actually i can't find many differences in both portrayals of Palpatine. Unlike Vader, both are almost identical in their character traits. They just took different roads on their way trying to become a "force god".

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I will say neither, the New Canon Palpatine is just a complete joke, who already lost too often and too pathetically to really be taken seriously.

The Legends one is just a mess. He is in some aspects even dumber than the New Canon one, and he has their weird backstory were he is said to have been born evil but is than given the number one clichee bad guy motivation: an abusive dad...
    Honestly for such a big villain that is just such a letdown, but that´s what you get if you have Luceno write the backstory, a lot of continuity callbacks but the story itself being utterly underwhelming and generic.

I think the best Palpatine is the purely 1-6 movie one, where he isn`t ruined by the EU or a later reapperance...

5. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Check this stuff out.

6. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    I prefer the EU Palpatine, but only by assuming that he died in Return for the Jedi and that the Dark Empire Trilogy does not exist.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I can't decide. I'm not fond of him coming back as a clone in the EU or ST.
    I thought his scenes in Rebels were brilliant, and that's something that isn't in Legends/EU. I also like his depiction in some of the Marvel comics, like when he berates Vader for the Death Star and other failures, or when he praises him later on his ideal apprentice.
    I prefer Legends novels to Canon, and a lot of my favorite Legends novels have great depictions of Palpatine. I also prefer the Imperial Palace in Legends for its sheer size. In Canon, the Jedi Temple was converted into the Imperial Palace.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  8. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    Personally, I enjoy Palpatine as the monstrous, force-empowered version of Damien from "The Omen" and being the monstrous spawn that would have disgusted both Sith and Jedi alike. I don't know why but the Emperor himself seems to hit all my interests in eldritch beings and supernatural horror; he's a monster in human skin that frightens both the monsters and good guys alike, heck, even the environment itself seems to despise his presence.

9. Legends Palpatine was more Powerful and plus his Origin is the excellent Legends Darth Plagueis Novel and Mara Jade was his protege

New Canon Palpatine Best moments is TCW, Bad Batch, Rebels and the ST and had a Powerful descendant in Rey and he outlived Luke Han and Leia in this Universe

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2023
  10. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Totally agree. My favorite Palpatine stories are found in Darth Plagueis, his story in which he manipulates the average Jedi and then executes him during the Clone Wars, and pretty much all of his interactions with Vader in the old EU.

In terms of the New Canon, I like Sidious Palpatine in TCW and Bad Batch. I used to hate him in the ST, but now, however...I think he's one of the better characters in TROS. Lol. I hate how they mistreated Rey, Finn, and Poe. But don't get me started. Lol.

11. ThereseAn'ya1994

ThereseAn'ya1994 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2023
    I voted EU Palpatine. Great villain overall and devious agent of evil.

12. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I wasn’t really a fan of Resurrected Palpatine in the Canon or the EU. I would have preferred he stayed dead in both timelines.

13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    You know, I can understand this, especially in light of Anakin's status as the Chosen One. Lumiya did state that she felt that the Palpatine clones were not true Sith, as they had not earned Sith knowledge. Rather, they inherited Palpatine's personality and power automatically.

My personal opinion, however, is that Dark Empire is a far better story is than the Sequel Trilogy. Darth Sidious is overwhelmingly powerful and dangerous in the story, its character development for Luke is unique and gripping, and it gives Leia much to do. So, that's just me.

CampOfSorgan likes this.