main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which were you excited about more?. TPM or TFA build-up?.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Qui-Gon Gin, Feb 12, 2017.

?

TPM or TFA build-up?.

1. TPM

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. TFA

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    Only asking about which hype were you more into, not which movie you liked more :).
    I loved the TPM hype. From the figures, to the TV spots, the speculation about what the movie was going to be like, and seeing actual Jedi!!. It was a rush that I loved.
    TFA......felt kinda muddled. Like a, "been here before, so lets get it over with", feel with advertising. Everything just felt flat with TFA.
    Your thoughts?.

Obi-John Kenobi and Sarge like this.
  2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    TFA, but only because I was too young to truly enjoy the TPM marketing.

Avnar likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TPM, because I was young enough to enjoy the marketing for it (late 20s) and because I was more excited about finding out Anakin Skywalker's origins than I was about finding out how the Big Three's happily ever after ending got destroyed.

And those Pizza Hut cups.

My reaction to some of the TFA marketing was "What the hell are they doing? Yoda plushies? Really? And where are my damn Rey action figures?"

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    TPM was more exciting build up for me, but only because the film was a let down and I didn't want to get all hyped up and disappointed again by TFA. IMO, the TPM trailer was much better than the film. TFA's trailers were good too; I just didn't dare to get excited again.

Avnar and Emperor Ferus like this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    TPM. Because I actually cared about it.

DarthTalonx and SatineNaberrie like this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  7. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    TFA. My disappointment afterwards was another thing, but the hype period was some of the most fun I've ever had.
    They were sitting on an ebay scalper's account because stores under ordered on product and Hasbro had the bright idea of putting Constable Zuvio in wave one. The TFA toyline was full of terrible marketing decisions, unless you wanted to build an army of Zuvios and 6 inch Finns.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    TPM. It was a much bigger deal at the time, as the OT had become legendary as both a cinematic and pop-culture touchstone - along with the fact that this mysterious 'Prequel Trilogy' had been long awaited since 1979/1980.
    For many, including myself, ROTJ may have concluded the OT, but it was just as much a teaser for an even better trilogy about what had come before, with the focus on some of the best characters - and I was thoroughly disappointed when 'Star Wars: Episode I' didn't appear on cinema screens in 1986, as I'd been led to believe would happen. The announcement in the early 1990s that it was finally going to happen is what gradually got me back into SW.

TFA didn't have that buildup. Yes, the idea of a 'Sequel Trilogy' came up at the same time as the PT (1979/1980), but GL had been dismissing its relevance and existence since 1999. The PT came and went, all the yelling and screaming eventually died down a bit, then the SW franchise carried on successfully with TCW and enough books, comics and video games to keep any fans desperate for a fix happy for decades. Star Wars was done, and my ongoing interest was about how it was developed, not waiting for it to continue.

When Disney acquired LFL in 2012 and promised more SW films, including Episodes VII-IX, I wasn't exactly excited, more skeptical - what I expected was 'Star Wars: The Next Generation', not something that would carry on in the same spirit, let alone reach back to the roots of the Saga itself. I was very happy to be wrong.

9. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    TPM for me. When I saw Liam and Jackson in the trailer, I said to myself that they were going all out, and they didn't disappoint, other than a couple of scenes that felt dragged out. I remember the Pepsi cans, and Hut cups. The Marketing back in those days were top notch.

I really was not too hyped up for TFA since Disney bought the franchise. How they marketed the film made me have some serious doubts, but it turned out to be a good movie, but still ranked last for me in the saga.

10. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    TPM. Expectations were REALLY high for that one. After some people were let down by the prequels and lack of trust for Disney expectations weren't quite as high for TFA.

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    TPM. I didn't expect to enjoy TFA as much as I did.

TX-20 and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    TPM. I was the perfect age for it and completely susceptible to the marketing and hype. For all the flaws of 'TPM' Lucas did that part right.

TX-20 likes this.
  13. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I don't think I've ever been more stoked to see a movie than I was for The Phantom Menace. I got caught up in the marketing and have other fond memories firmly attached to that period. Namely me and my twin brother's birthday party being to go see it, and the two of us going as Qui-Gon (me) and Obi-Wan (him) for Halloween that year. And given that I was 7 at the time it was pretty much my first time experiencing something like that.

It's not thay I wasn't excited for The Force Awakens at all mind you, I will always be excited for more Star Wars on some level, but I could feel from early on that its creative direction wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

14. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    TPM.

Now ask my what has been my biggest disappointment in life!

Avnar, TX-20, Ord-Mantell70 and 2 others like this.
  15. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    TPM. But my live for Star Wars was only about two years old at that point. I remember being really bitter with certain parts of the fandom when TFA was released, so my experience was kind of muddled.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    TPM by a long way. I was a teenager, still young enough to get really into it. Plus the first trailer just blew me away, redefining what Star Wars could encompass. For TFA the pinnacle of my excitement level was that first black and white photo of the cast gathered together. After that I was increasingly turned off by the marketing.

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm not sure, they were both so different and I was in very different places in my life for each. TFA might get the slight edge because we were getting Han, Leia, Luke, and Chewie.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

We got Luke in TFA? I am not sure 30 seconds count. :p

Dagobahsystem and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well I didn't know that leading up to it

TX-20 and Bazinga'd like this.
  20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I answer TFA only because the one year-old me wasn't really capable of following along :p

God, I can feel the hype, though, just hearing and thinking about those days in the late 90s

Darthman92 and Bazinga'd like this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    TPM and that was due to the longer gap between films that TFA didn't have. Sixteen years versus nine years and that there was a bigger hype as a result. It was treated as the second coming.

Erkan12 and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  22. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    TPM. I wanted to see young Vader and the Jedi at the height of their power. I was pumped to see the Empire rise to power.

TFA - Yeah I was excited to see the original cast, but I wasn't as pumped for the sequels. It wasn't a story I was anticipating, you know? I was actually more excited for Rogue One.

23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Agree with the above.

Episodes 1-6 tell Anakin's story pretty much from start to finish.

RO fits nicely into Anakin's story.

I'm still on the fence about the ST as this is not part of Anakin's story (at least not yet)

DarthTalonx and Zejo the Jedi like this.
  24. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    TPM for sure.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    TPM. I was a youngster and the excitement was naturally huge. But TFA is more important to me, because it rescued my Star Wars fandom, and I think it's the better film.

Avnar and Sarge like this.