main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

While You Were Gone (Han/Leia AU) Updated 7/10/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by StonedRose, Jan 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    Okay, this fic takes place right after the end of ESB. It's completely NON-CANON, so EU addicts be prepared. Although it's AU (in other words, ROTJ as we know it did not happen) certain things were kept the same: Luke and Leia are still twins. And the Empire *was* defeated pretty much on the same timeline.

Okay, *deep breath* well here goes nothing. I hope you like it. If you don't well....then oops, sorry. Feedback is welcomed, in fact, I encourage it. Even if it means "You suck!" I'm a big girl, I can take it. But try to be a little more constructive than that.....all right, I'm done babbling: (oh and p.s.-for those of you who believe the rumors that I created 'star wars' and it's characters, I'm here to set you straight. They belong to George and Lucas films)

Leia absently brushed aside a strand of hair. Her mind was elsewhere. It was far removed from the buzzing of the hangar, removed from the hand of Lando Calrissian resting lightly on her arm, and certainly light years away from the grieving wookiee pacing in the background.

It was with Han.Wherever he was. And now Lando was trying to tell her that they may never know. Leia's heart clenched at the thought of her love being forever stuck in suspension. His face fixed permanantly in twisted agony.

Lost. That's what they said. Han was *lost*. And they may never find him.

Chewie let out a mournful howl in the background. Lando gave Leia's arm a comforting squeeze. His voice, faint in the background of her mind, started to grow louder as the princess regained some of her focus. "...Fett's ship is believed to have been destroyed...." Lando explained gently; Boba Fett had never even made it to Jabba the Hutt. Which meant that Han was probably still aboard the Slave I when it was allegedly shot down.

Leia looked up at Lando. The teary shine of her brown eyes betraying the steadiness of her voice. "Han...but you said 'lost'......now you're saying he's...." Her voice faltered and Leia quickly looked away as she felt tears well up. "Maybe you're wrong. Maybe his ship is still out there somewhere. Or maybe Fett took him someplace else first."

"I-...It's unlikely."

"But it's *possible*." Leia once again met the gambler's eye, her resolve suddenly strengthening. "You said so yourself. You said Han was 'probably' aboard. That's not definite."

Lando held up his hands defensively, "I know. And we *will* keep looking. I don't want you to doubt that."

"Good."

"But-" Lando took a deep breath, "I just wanted to prepare you for the possibility-the very strong possibility that Han-" the gambler couldn't hold the princess' gaze and his eyes stranded to his neatly polished shoes, "that he may be gone. Forever."

Leia could feel her chin begin to tremble as those words sank into her consciousness. Lando tried to draw her into a comforting embrace but Leia hastily pulled away. "I refuse to believe that," she snapped. "Han's alive."

"Princess-"

"He's alive. And I won't give up on him so easily." She gave him a pointed look. "Even if you will." With that Leia turned abruptly away from Calrissian and walked with steely determination towards the exit.

"Princess," Lando called mournfully behind her, "I'm sorry."

//I'm sorry too//. The familar words echoed in her head. Leia hastened her retreat to the door before she broke down in the middle of the crowded hangar.

A few months later the worst was confirmed: Boba Fett's ship had been shot down. Chewbacca was assigned with the unpleasant task of breaking the news to the princess. He even presented her with a shard of the Slave I which was one of the few pieces remaining of the ill-fated ship. He meant it as a showing of undeniable proof that the ship had indeed been destroyed. Actually, from the looks of the debris that *was* found, annihilated would have been the better term.

As Chewbacca had looked over the charred remnants of Fett's ship he had felt the last flame of hope die out. If his friend had been aboard there was no chance he could have survived. And the sad truth of

2. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    Great job!!!!! I love Han and Leia stories, I can't wait to read more! :D

3. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Looking forward to seeing where you'll take it... it looks good so far.

4. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    This is intreguing. Please continue!

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow! What an idea! Well-written, too, and so poignant. I liked how Leia clung to hope until the evidence was presented to her, and then the way she was so stunned that she couldn't express anything. It took her cutting her hand on that shard to release the tears--good. Now I'm intrigued and want to find out more. What really happened to Han? The title suggests that there's a happy reunion between Han and Leia, but so far, they've discovered nothing that even suggests a doubt that he's dead. Post more soon, please!

6. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Ooh, go on, go on, keep up the writing!

It seems to be an interesting concept for an AU, especially as it focussed on Leia, Lando and Chewie (I've not seen that particular threesome explored in detail before).

7. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Wonderful!! More please!!

LovelyLea

8. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Oh. Excellent. I love Han & Leia stories and there just aren't enough of them. Please post more!

9. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    I love it! A great start to a promising story. Can't wait for more!

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    This is just a great begining. I can't wait to see more!!! :)

11. StonedRose

Jan 20, 2001
    Wow, thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so far (I hope I don't drop the ball!). I'll post another part tonight.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Stoned Rose

12. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    The looks really good, and is definately in character. I look forward to seeing more. :)

~*~Bria

13. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    I'll be looking forward to reading it!!

14. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    hah! and you were nervous about how people would react! hah! :)

this is indeed a great idea...it never ever occured to me that maybe Han wouldn't have been taken to Tatooine!

well the first post was great, the emotion was displayed very well, and the detail really painted a nice picture. i think someone said before that the title implies that he'll be back... :D:D:D

i'll be here for more!

15. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Awesome!!! We need more stories like these!! LOVE IT! Well so far... but a very good start.

16. Kab730

Kab730 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2001
    I love the story and can't wait for the next post. It's great to see a Han and Leia story. There aren't enough of them.
    Kris

17. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    I just happened to stumble across this thread and I just wanted to say that I think you have a good thing going here.

The interaction between Leia and Chewie, along with their inner thoughts concerning Han's possible (?) demise was very well written as well as emotionally stirring...it really got me thinking "what if..."

Anyway, I'm babbling now, I look forward to reading more!

18. StonedRose

Jan 20, 2001
    Thanks again for your feedback! I *really* appreciate it. :)
    I just want to make a quick author's note; the chewie and leia scene took place *weeks* after the Lando one. Not *months*. I meant to fix that but I guess I got too distracted fixing the italics. Oh well....

Now onto the next part....(am I the only one who gets butterflies doing this??)

---Seven Standard Years Later---

The cold biting winds of the Tatooine desert were relentless in their furious trek across the desolate landscape. The expansive sky was dark and foreboding, and Mandell Malcolm tightened the wrap around his head as if to further protect himself from the storm. He raised a hand to shield his eyes as he peered across the dunes. In the distance he could make out the dark outline of his partner, Xavier Ross. Beyond him there was nothing but the continuing vast grayness of the sky.

Malcolm gave the younger man an encouraging wave, even as dark doubt began to cloud his being. The two men had been combing the desert for several weeks now in search of imperial artifacts or anything else that might be of value on the open market. So far they had had poorer luck than they had anticipated. Aside from the charred remains of an old ship a few miles back, their detectors have been unable to pick up anything else of real value. Not that the wrecked ship was a complete waste. Malcolm was sure they could get atleast a few good credits from the scant pieces of scrap metal they were able to salvage from deep beneath the sand.

But it wasn't enough.

These were tough days for the desert planet. Although the Empire had been destroyed almost seven years previously, the prosperity of the rest of the systems had yet reached this dark corner of the galaxy. Poverty ran rampant across the land. Even in the once thriving cities like Mos Eisley, one could find homeless families of several species on every street. Beggers flocked to the off world spacers in wide eyed desperation, trying to sell them useless cheap knick knacks of every size. //May I show you around sir? Perhaps sing you a song?// Anything for a credit. Anything for a meal.

It hadn't always been this bad. Tatooine never thrived, but it was never this low either. Malcolm estimated that the planet took a turn for the worse around ten years ago. When a sect of the Empire landed down at the spaceport in search of two droids and never left. It was as if that garrison of stormtroopers had been able to walk through the cities and small outpost towns and single handedly sap them of all their vitality and remaining wealth. For everytime the troops had tightened their grip of control on the modest planet, the defeated natives had lost a little more life.

It was this extreme poverty that had now forced the two men to scope the desert in search of any remains. When the Imperial troopers were pushed off the planet six years ago, leaving absolute devestation in their wake, the peoples of the planet wasted no time in destroying all reminders of the once-present empire. Everything was burned. Huge celebratory bon fires were held. Joyous aliens of every species would gleefully toss in tarnished trooper helmets, or used imperial packs. But of course they couldn't get rid of the greatest evidence of all: the utter impoverishment of an entire planet.

It was these artifacts of the empire that were *not* destroyed, that Malcolm and Ross were now looking for. Old stormtrooper gear could now be worth a lot. There were certain collectors who would now offer up thousands of credits for anything that was bona-fide imperial. It in a way made Malcolm's stomach turn in disgust, but he was never one to turn away from what could be a genuine gold mine of opportunity.

In the distance, Xavier continued to comb the area with his sensor. He too was feeling discouraged. He was about to turn back around towards Malcolm when his sensor lit up and let off an insistant beep. The young man squinted in disbelief as he began to make out a small opening in the rocky ravine up ahead. As he pushed his way towards it, his

19. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Wow! 0_o

Just saw this for the first time. You got somethin' going here.

BTW, what ever happened to Luke in all this. Han was always like his big brother; I would've thought he'd make an appearance.

Or am I jumping to conclusions?

20. StonedRose

Jan 20, 2001

"Patience my young padawan" ;-)

But I'm glad you liked it. :)

21. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    Seven *years*! Oh Force! I wonder if Leia has gone and found someone else in all that time? Eeep!

I liked the thought you put into what would happen in the aftermath of the Empire's fall, Stoned Rose. Not many people seem to think about the economics of the situation; and the bit about Imperial relics fetching high prices with some collectors was spot on.

22. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, Han's been stuck in the desert for seven years? No, not in the desert, he's in a cave or dwelling of sorts, didn't you say? That means somebody--or something--put him there. Who? What? And why?

I also liked how you depicted the situation on Tattooine and how the stormtroopers had seemed to suck life out of the cities there. That was well thought out.

23. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Well, ditto what everyone else has already said. Also, I liked the description of the sandstorm--I felt like I could really see the two men wandering through the desert, then one of them disappears inside a cave and the other follows. I also liked the detail about how the commlink connection was staticky (sp?) until Malcolm entered the cave and then all of a sudden got clear.
    Poor Han--seven years in carbonite. I bet he's going to be really sick when they let him out this time!

Oh, and I get butterflies, too. I posted my first story last night and my hands were actually shaking, believe it or not. :)

24. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!

:D

25. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    Wow, StonedRose! I'm glad Han has survived the crash. Your description of Tatooine's economic situation was very good. I hope you'll post more soon; I'm anxious to see what's happened to Leia in those seven years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.