main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Whine] The search function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FlareStorm, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    So now that we aren't moving (or are we?), is there any chance of making the search function work?

Or is this an IGN/out-of-our hands thing? Do other IGN boards have similar sucky searches?

I'm sure there's all sorts of ideas about how to enhance it, but #1 I would think would be to make it work. It always times out on me.

PS: You guys who are gonna waste time saying "This has been brought up before you are stupid etc" GO AWAY

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    No, we are not moving.

The search function does perform slow on some occasions, but it's always been an efficient method for me. I know many other Users will say the same thing. However if you want something faster, I know some use Google.com to search the boards. In the search preferences, just make "boards.theforce.net" as the only search window for Google.com and that should be faster for you.

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I also use the Search function sometimes, and find what I am looking for on many occassions. However, it does seem to take a while, but I can wait.

Thoguh, I do not think it is just these forums...from my experience, all forums have bad search functions. :p

Edit: YOu know, I never thought about using the advance search on google to just search this site. That is awesome. :)

4. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Huh. Well, for me it always sits there for 2 mins then comes up with an error.

And one thing that would be useful: Search by thread title only. I often wanna find a certain thread and I know what it's called.

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Search isn't slow so much as it doesn't catch everything for me. I will try the google idea though, never thought of that. That is something that's on IGN's level that we have no control over to my knowledge.

6. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    It helps if you choose the board where you think your answer might be instead of trying to search the entire JCC/FF boards.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    And I find it works better if you have two terms in the search field (but not two letter words - it usually crashes then) and select 'All of the words entered'.

8. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I usually find what I'm looking for but sometimes it times out on me.

9. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    It constantly times out on me. 'Tis very annoying.

10. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    yeah how bout if you just punch in whatever and it goes, like a real web site?

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    You're not the only person who whould like the search function to work properly, everyone would. Even those who might've posted in this thread informing you that this subject has been brought up so many times previously would like a better search function. Additionally, the search function not being one of TFN's strong points isn't exactly a secret, so why not just accept that it is as it is and that if it ever could be fixed... it would be?

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am not sure the Search function has ever worked well. I barely use it because it rarely finds threads that I need/want. I have more success scanning the forum pages myself. A usable search would be amazing.... but honestly, fixing the ridiculously slow speed issues I've seen ever since the ASP switch is more important to me.

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I stopped using the search function a long time ago. It takes a shorter time to go throughout a whole board then it does waiting for that thing to load. :p

14. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    Nine times out of ten it times out on me.

15. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    May I suggest using a specific Google search like this one for those with search problems - if you add your desired forum URL to the "domain" field it actually works rather well. :) Still not the same as having one here but it does the job in a pinch.

Hope that helps!

16. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    When I use the search function now it just takes me to the search page...

17. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I agree with Strilo on this issue. It pretty much never works for me.

18. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    When I use the search function now it just takes me to the search page...

Does the same for me. Then I search that way and, well, yesterday, it worked. It was slow, but it did show me the thread I was looking for.

19. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    AGREED SEARCH SUCKS!!!

[image=http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/7542/searchsucks7ux.jpg]

20. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Huh, I use the search function all the time and it seems to work.

21. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I get it to work for me sometimes, but i wish it was better. Oh well!

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    it works sometimes for me. however if i put more than 1 word in the box and click search thats when it takes longer or times out. it frustrates me sometimes[face_frustrated]

23. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    google was mentioned above. Perhaps a google search button in place of the usual search button, or in addition to, would work? Well, unless you use firefox.

Either way, the search function rarely works for me aswell. It's a pain, especially when you have wait impatiently for a result and all you recieve in return is an error page.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah the search function used to work poorly, but for most of the year it hasn't worked at all- using the search function just takes you to the search page.

25. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I forgot to mention that! Anyone else driven crazy by this? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.