main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who can joke, who can’t?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Diggy , Nov 21, 2018.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I should have just quoted the end of your post.

So, basically, I was told nothing would be done, and to deal with it, I'd have to adjust my posting habits... not him.
    Again... how is this okay?

as that what I am referencing not correct.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm telling you... this was a couple of years ago, and I was literally told "no, I'm not going to do that. He wont listen..."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  3. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Then I totally misread your post as being current. I apologize.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This problem is years old.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's okay... but what am I supposed to think when a staff member tells me that the problem will not be dealt with?

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well at least this seems to be one step forward. But to read that someone has been told nothing will be done about Ender's behavior frankly makes me sick.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It makes me very unsurprised.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Some of you guys would be bored if the "year old problem" would be perma-banned :p

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Year? We're closing on a decade of TOS breaking posts.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There are things much worse than boredom. Things like toxic insults and careless prejudice. I can deal just fine with boredom. One of our favorite sayings flying missions in Iraq was, "Boring is good." The alternatives can be much worse.

solojones, DarthFixxxer and Pensivia like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We don’t need to dwell on what someone may have said to someone in private years ago, as it reflects (at most) that person’s own opinion.

Suffice it to say we are aware of the problems. Speaking for myself, I have noticed the appearance of a double standard and I’m not a fan of the idea that whether or not a post is tolerated depends on a user’s history / if they’re known for making a particular kind of joke etc. That’s not really fair.

We don’t want to moderate intent. It’s too fuzzy. And it’s not clear to other users what’s expected, and it makes it look like some users can get away with things that others can’t.

Should we have tried to tackle this sooner? Sure, you could say that. If anyone feels let down, I’m sorry for that.

But we’re going to deal with this issue.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    May have? You want screen shots?

Anyway... I'm glad that something will be done. Thanks, guys.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, quite the opposite. I don’t want to know. I’m not a fan of sharing private correspondance on the boards without the permission of both users involved. I say may have because I was not a participant in that conversation.

Darth Smurf and Diggy like this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This was a private conversation on facebook, but yeah, I get it... that's why I didn't name the staff member.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Also we can't moderate off-site content. If someone says something in a PM here you can report it. On Facebook or Twitter you'd have to use their reporting facilities to get any action taken.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm not looking for any action to be taken at all. The only thing I want addressed is the problem at hand, that's all.

The only reason I even brought up was to show that this is a really long running issue that staff has been reluctant to deal with, until now.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thank you T, J, and L. Parity is all I was questioning, but I trust you and the rest of the MS’s judgement.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And I think it is worth noting that in my experience the MS has often told people as a matter of semi-policy that they just need to ignore/not get riled up by a toxic person's posts. And I do feel that if enough people are having that experience, the onus should not be on the victims to ignore it. And no one should ever be told "I'm not going to talk to this offender because he won't listen." If that person won't listen to mods or follow the TOS, they don't deserve to be part of this community.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That, and this really isn't an acceptable response for an admin

It really feels like I'm being told to sit down and shut up.

Like I said, though, Iwasn't even looking for any sort of action to be taken as far as that conversation goes. I was only trying to highlight the lack of support from the staff... and I was rewarded with a lack of support from the staff.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I disagree with that being an unacceptable response.

He stated why quite clearly, which are part of the Rules of the Jedi Council.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It was more the "I don't want to know," that I was referring to.
    I love how rules are followed to the letter when staff is concerned, but when somebody takes a concern about a toxic and abusive member to staff, they get told that nothing will be done.

You don't get to cherry pick... sorry.

Moving forward, what do I do when/if this happens again?

22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm not the one cherry picking.

Jay's reply was to what looked like you discussing a private message from the boards. Your reply that was

This was a private conversation on facebook, but yeah, I get it... that's why I didn't name the staff member.

But now it's making you feel like you're being told to sit down and shut up?

As to your

I love how rules are followed to the letter when staff is concerned, but when somebody takes a concern about a toxic and abusive member to staff, they get told that nothing will be done.

Really? I saw the report, I acted immediately as a mod is suppose to. Where in this was nothing done?

Moving forward, what do I do when/if this happens again?

I would suggest reporting the issue as was done to have it taken care of.

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It's unfortunate because the subject user often has some really great stuff to contribute, but the 'schtick' can definitely seem to step over the line in some serious ways often. I'd imagine it's difficult for the mods because, given we all know him and his opinions, sometimes when he says something hatful it's easy to write it up to 'oh well he's just joking', when it can really affect some people (as in this instance).

Hopefully the mods can do something so he can reign in his behaviour but he can still contribute.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Frieda, I'm still talking about how I went to a staff member and asked them to do something about Ender... two years ago. What am I supposed to do if that happens again? If I go to a staff member about an issue and am told "no," what should I do?

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Go to another staff member if you want.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.