main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who cried when Anakin burst into flames?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by anibad, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJSkywalker

AJSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

DUH... I mean come on. That is like the beginning of darth vader as we know him. and have you seen the special features on the dvd where they show hayden putting on the burnt skin on him. IT IS LIKE EXTEMELY SCARY. I feel the pain...not really

2. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    No, because I had been waiting 28 years to see it, and I was completely focused on the visuals.

But, after that, during Padme's funeral and especially when Vader walks to the viewport overlooking the Death Star construction, I lost it completely and was still wiping my eyes when I walked out. I'm going to watch it again this weekend so we'll see if I still cry. I cried at some point during each of my theater viewings, but not during "Immolation."

In preparation I am watching AOTC again tonight. We'll see if I cry again during Shmi's funeral the way I always did before.

3. sulaco

sulaco Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2004
    I didn?t cry the first or second time I saw it. But my girlfriend and I watched it the other night on DVD (she hadn?t seen it at all, so I warned her it was a sad story). She had had a few CC n drys so I thought this will be interesting. Anyhow..... She balled during the Purge, and I mean blubbery mess, pulled her self together, then balled all the way from Anakin loosing his limbs to the closing credits. Just having her next to me crying made me cry.

I love this film.

4. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Not me because I've never felt that much for Anakin. I did well up a bit during the purge, Padme's funeral and at the end when Luke and Leis'a themes played as they were delivered to their new families.

5. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I cried and just mouthed "nooooooo"

6. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    finally Darth Vader was going to be in the top of his evil.whats to cry about ??

7. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I didn't cry when Anakin burned because the visual of that Youngling asking, "Master Skywalker whatever are we to do?" was still fresh in my mind, but when Kenobi said, "You were my brother Anakin.....I loved you"...I let a few slip past the gate.

8. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    im afraid you have the facts wrong.tarkin blew up alderaan not vader.it was clear in ANH than tarkin was a more important authority than vader.

the "he deserved it2 factor simply doesnt work for me becasue palps deserved a lot worst than anakin and waht does he gets ?? to own the galaxy for over 2 decades [face_plain]

if everybody had received what they deserved then i would be cool with it but why only anakin ??

and most important why does everybody hate anakin for what he did and yet nobody hates palpatine for what he did ?? [face_thinking]

9. Zombi_2_1979

Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2005
    There were small sniffles... Anakin believed in what he believed in... as bent and wrong as it were beneath the wing of Darth Sidious... and the Master Jedi never put an ounce of faith in him. Never.

10. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I'm not sure who you were addressing, sithrules70, but just to clarify what I was getting at:

In my eyes, Palpatine creating a war that leads to the deaths of millions for his own personal gain is a worse crime than killing the younglings.

To me, Tarkin giving the order to blow up Alderaan seems much worse than Anakin killing the younglings.

But the question being asked in this thread is - did we cry for Anakin?

In spite of what he did, I was moved by Anakin's suffering as much as I was moved by the suffering of the other characters. While I don't excuse Anakin's actions, I pity him. In the end, I could relate to Obi Wan's pain over what his friend had done...

...but I could also relate to Anakin being manipulated, and his messing up because of his anger and his fear of letting go.

The story is sad all around.

11. camifladge2

camifladge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2005
    I didn't cry it was nothing to cry about realy everyone knew that the movie is dark. But I did here about 5 or 6 people cry and walking out of the room saying "It's so sad." I laughed in my head, what a waste of money for those people who left.[face_skull] [face_skull] [face_skull] [face_skull] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

12. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I love Anakin, i think he did get what he deserved BUT that doesn't mean i liked it happening.
    I didn't cry but i would've prefered it alot more if Anankin grabbed Obi-Wan's ankle and threw him into the lava.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now THAT would have been alot funnier[face_laugh]
    oh man, anyone have any alternate endings where Obi-Wan gets hurt, and/or killed?

13. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    dont worry,i was adressing GeneralGrievous1 ,read my post again more carefully and you'll see.

14. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I didn't cry, in fact it was my second screening that got the tears from me...but even then, I still didn't cry at this bit. I was too shocked to cry.

Remember I was completely spoiler-free for this...so I had no idea of the exact nature of Anakin's wounds and so on, save his face. The loss of 3 of his limbs, along with the crawl on the sandbank and the subsequent burning was very disturbing and sad to me. I don't care how evil a person may be or could be...I still get upset when someone is suffering. Hmm...with the possible exception of Palpatine plunging down that reactor shaft :p

So I didn't cry, I was too busy being shocked on top of all the shocks building up to that point already. ROTS builds the tragedy of events tremendously from the death of Mace onwards.

One other funny thing though...first time I saw the pic, during that scene I was seeing it from Anakin's point of view. Empathising with his pain and loss, burning almost to death. The strength of the images and others such as Order 66 shook me up bad. I had planned to see ROTS again the following day but it was actually about five days before I went back. And this time through I was able to get misty-eyed at points such as Order 66, Padme's funeral and so on...and I saw that scene from Obi-Wan's point of view. Staring down at this mad limbless thing that used to be your best friend and as close to a brother as you've ever had, wondering where you went wrong. Obi-Wan's horror and utter sadness.

It's odd like that. From my 3rd viewing onwards, it's been kind of a calmer balance of the two.

15. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    I laughed. Bastard got what he deserved.

EDIT--However, the opening sequence made me cry, simply because I came to the sober realization that it was the beginning of the end. The circle was complete.

16. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    I cried...and could hardly contain myself.
    I burst out in tears...wailing and wailing...because I was wishing it was...
    Jar Jar

17. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
    Yeah right. Nobody actually cried at that. Give me a break.

18. UltIMatEEviL

UltIMatEEviL Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    i was more than happy to see him burn after seeing the purge

and

it was even better when he looked like he was in pain on the operating table too

19. ani-is-hot

ani-is-hot Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2005
    oh i cried so, so, so,so very much. he went from crazy hot to ugly and burned. and it was so sad . he was laying there burning alive and obi won didnt do anything that b**** (sorry for the language) but it was so sad!:_| i cant belive any body would say they laughed at that([face_laugh]=[face_shame_on_you] )

20. UltIMatEEviL

UltIMatEEviL Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    too be honest when i think about it i dont see why obi didnt just force push him into the lava just to make sure

21. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    sithrules70, I did. I actually read it a couple of times and still wasn't sure.

I knew that it was Tarkin, not Vader, who was responsible for the destruction of Alderaan. I just wasn't sure if you knew that I knew...

...you know?;)

22. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    I pulled out the marshmellows, graham crakers and chocolate and said, "Who's hungry for S'mores?"

23. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    of course i know leias.

to answer the topic,of course i didnt cry but not because i dislike him,i couldnt care less about those he killed but i was excited to finally see the ruthless and cold blooded sith lord that vader always was to me.i mean you definitely cant imagine DV from the OT crying or turning to the dark side to save his wife ..right ??:confused:

24. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    Ominous, responses like that bring to mind those people who congregate outside a prison during an execution...

...and think it's a party.

25. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    I joke a lot. I haven't been on the ROTS thread since it was called 3SA.

Humor is good for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.