main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who do you want to see at Celebration IV most

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but being a veteran of all 3 previous Celebrations, was Mark at any of them?

2. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004

UM, NO!

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Nope, nope, nope, no way. No guest NEEDS to be at CIV. And NO INUSLT or 'slap in the face' is given when they don't come. People NEED to work. People NEED to go to their kid's graduations. People NEED to pay their taxes and go to the dentist. CIV is a purely discretionary activity with no NEEDs attached to it at all.

We've known about CIV for over a year. So, why hasn't GenCon even begun announcing their guest list until 3 months before the event? No guest is going to consider coming until they are asked and we have no idea when that was, but given the late announcement of guests, my guess is that GenCon was late asking as well.

MRS. FISHER?????????? Is Debbie Reynolds coming, too????? [face_laugh]

4. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I've checked the archives at starwars.com and it looks like the announcements are coming at about the same rate as they did for C2 & C3. I wouldn't assume the date of the announcements are an indication of late planning. With all the logistics that need to be worked out it's probably safer for them to hold off announcing plans which might need to be changed. If that was the case everyone would be complaining about the late changes. :D

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    There's a VAST difference between what's announced to the public and what's planned - we 'knew' LA was in the running long before the Official word - I AM disappointed, and some people are even more so, but the whole reputation of the community doesn't hinge on a few people venting out loud. Honestly, we're not that influential!

I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope that he'll have a change of heart/circumstances, but the person I want to see at C4 most is ME! [face_laugh]

6. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    You are doing the same thing you are accusing him of. Telling him what he should or should not be insulted about. You can say that you think his feelings are an over-reaction, but if he is feeling insulted, then he is. Even if you think the reason is silly, it does not change the way he feels. Let it go. If venting here helps him feel better then let him. I got my little bit of venom out about Mr. Hamill the other day and I'm fine about it now.

And let's not forget, while you are probably right and he has no ill-will towards SW fans... you could just as easily be wrong. But we will likely never know either way.

Mark can be his own worst enemy when it comes to public relations. I get the impression he just does not think that part of his job is very important. Imagine how many more comics and DVD's he could sell if he had an Offical Website that didn't look like a teenager did it in 1995? One that actually showcased his obvious talents. For someone who is involved so much in comics and cartoons and "Geek" stuff, he has no promotional presence on the web whatsoever. And that is fine. He obviously enjoys "the doing" more than the promoting.

I just hope he remembers sometimes that the SW fans could also be the fans of everything else he does if he would just throw us a bone occasionally. I think that is the frustration that some of us feel towards him. I mean without Star Wars, he could not get away with the poor promotion he gives himself. You think he got those first few voice over jobs based on the strength of "Corvette Summer" or "The Guyver?" So he does not "Owe" us anything, you are correct, but it would still be a nice acknowledgment on his part. The adoration he would get at an Event like C4 would be astounding.

And that is the real shame. I don't want Mark's autograph or picture. I don't even want to shake his hand or ask him a silly question. I'd like to thank him with thunderous applause and a standing ovation. He will be forever linked to something that is important to me, and I wouldn't mind letting him know I'm grateful. And I think there alot of folks who'd like the chance to do the same. If he would just let us.

-Doc

7. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Marry me Doc [face_love]

*applauds excellent post*

8. bonzofett

bonzofett Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Well said, Doc.

However, I still think it's bad on his part. Face it, if Mark Hamill cared, he would have made an attempt to attend one of the 4 Celebrations.

As far as planning goes, does anyone actually think that Gen Con was going to get something right after the C3 debacle? If you're a convention promotor who isn't able to get headline guests, at least get enough workers to make the event run smoothly. I still can't understand how Gen Con was able to do C4.

9. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm sorry, have we met before? You seem to have a problem with everything I say. There are about a couple of hundred other people on these boards you could quote as well.

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I happen to think that after an actor has done their movie and the contractual publicity for it and cashed their check, then that's it.

Now if Mark Hamill does a poor job marketing his other works and his web presence is sad, then bad on him. He'll pay for it in the marketplace when people don't buy them. Carrie Fisher WILL sell a few books, though I doubt that CIV will be enough to change her amazon.com rating much. 'Postcards from the Edge' is pretty entertaining, but wow, I'm glad I don't have her life. Is Mark Hamill missing out on some easy publicity for his other projects by not showing up at CIV??? You bet. But that's just lax marketing on his part. That's it.

Now, if an actor gets pulled over driving drunk and hurls racial slurs at the police, now THAT'S really insulting people. Same thing if an actor yells them from the stage. Especially if it gets taped and bounced all over the internet.

But if an actor declines an invitation to an event, then that's all it is. Accusation of motive, with no substantiating information, is uncivil.

Aaaaah, the one-man Star Wars guy (Charlie Ross) has been announced for CIV. That's a good show and worth seeing again. I didn't take it all in at all at CIII. Seeing the show early on the first day and the first performance helped. I didn't have to stand in line for it.

11. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I saw Charlie's show last night here in San Francisco. He'll be at WonderCon on Friday. I'll pass the word on to him that his presence is happily awaited at CIV. ;)

12. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Everyone calm down about the MARK HAMILL thing. Lets just wait to hear the news officially before we get our underware in a knot. What is that thing our Master Yoda always says???? Oh ya, PATIENCE... So calm down and lets wait fevereshly by the computer for the official annoucement...we could be surprised!!!!

13. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    "I happen to think that after an actor has done their movie and the contractual publicity for it and cashed their check, then that's it."

Well in that case it would be OK for CIV to have no celebrities show up. Good thinking. Now we can all stand around for 5 days watching the One Man Star Wars show over and over.

14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Actually, I think Mark and co still get residuals from Star wars, but OTOH, Carrie Fisher jokes about having to send George Lucas a dollar every time she looks in the mirror... :p

15. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Well if Hammil isn't going to be there, I'm not going!!! HAHA... Luke was a whiney little girl in the movies and Hammil is a whiney little actor who in my opinion has always been bitter about this limited fame. Let's face it, being Luke ruined his career. He had one memorable role and that was that. No wonder why he doesn't want to be associated with Star Wars now.

16. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah but he needs to get over it. Actually at this point I pretty much don't care. If he doesn't show up, big deal. I got his auto from Official Pix and I got it on discount. HAHA!

17. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Well according to his website he's not doing auto's anymore so maybe you're pic will be worh 3 or 4 bucks in a few years! =)

18. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I hope I get to see Steve Sansweet and/or Rick McCallum in one of the hallways at CIV and grab a quick pic with them. I saw both of them in the hallways at C3, but there were too many people asking for pics that I didn't get a chance to meet them.

19. bonzofett

bonzofett Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    I met Rick MaCallum at Disne last year. He seemed to really enjoy, in fact, he came back for a second weekend. Rick was one of the nicest celeb that I've met and he really seemed appreciative of the Star Wars fan base. Luckily for me, he ended up signing for a long time past his scheduled time which allowed me to get his signature on my ROTS poster.

20. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    Rick is a super nice guy. When we attended C3, he was being mobbed by a mess of people at one time, people asking him for autographs and pictures. Then, after signing a few and taking a few pics with the crowd, he said he had to go. Then he turned around to walk away with his bodyguard like person, and he heard my son say "STAR WARS" really loud, he looked back and said, "did that just come from a baby," I smiled and said "yep". He laughed and then said "I cant deny that little guy," and he posed for a pic for me. I was overwhelmed by his candor, he is like I said "A SUPER GUY."

There were a few celebs that really seemed to genuinely love to be there, like Ray Park, Jeremy Bulloch and Tem Morrison. They even took time to stand up and take a pic with the entire family instead of just signing the autograph. I love people like that, people who take a few moments of their busy life just to make you feel important, and that goes for all people, not just celebs.

21. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Wouldn't hurt Lucas himself to sit his rear in a chair for a few hours and sign some auto's. I'm sure the lines would be hellish, but a few hundred lucky people would be able to get a sig. They could even have a lottery or something....SOMETHING besides a sad 20 minute Q&A.

22. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Have you ever seen Georgie boys auto? It looks like my dog signed it with a sharpie in her mouth. Two letters. Real creative. GL! "I am so important I can't take the time to write out my entire name."

23. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I hate it when a movie celeb/sports athlete just scribbles their sig or just does an initial abbreviation. I think we pay good enough of a premium price to have them sign their full name.

A scribbled sig or initials make it feel like you were cheated a little bit IMO and kind of cheapens the experience, like the actor couldn't be bothered to take the time to sign his/her full name. What does it take, like 4 seconds to sign your complete name? Jeez.

24. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    I could'nt agree with you more Justin. I mean for heavens sake if it were not for us fans and the worlds obsession for celebrities they would not exist nor make the millions they do. I mean give us a bone or something.

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Other SW celebs, like Harrison, Hayden, Ewan all have scribble signatures too. But I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger puts every letter though. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.