main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who do you want to see at Celebration IV most

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by pwinklespi, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Nobody is "Obliged" to come. But it's not like he does not do cons. He does 'em. He just, for 8 years and four events, does not do "Star Wars" cons. Like we are 3rd class citizens. I don't get mad when Sam Jackson, Natalie Portman, Harrison Ford, Ewan MacGregor or any of the folks who don't do the con circuit don't show. They never do. But he does do 'em sometimes, so I get a little offended. Because you know he was specifically asked.

So screw him. Carrie, as ascerbic and off the wall as she can be, is great. And all the others are awesome too. And Mark is probably a nice guy in general. But he just seems to be a bit of a jerk at times with regards to Star Wars fans. (At least he comes across that way) He's entitled. Some of us are jerks towards his other ventures (Or at least I am now).

Comic Con Can have him. I don't wish him ill. Good luck Mark.

-Doc

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I have to agree with Doc, it's not a matter of obligation, but considering he does do other conventions and it is the 30th anniversary (Not to mention it's practically in his back yard), it would have been nice to have him - or at least find out in a better way as apposed to a side bar on his fan site.

Oh well, I'm going to C-4 for other reasons, meeting the actors is just a bonus.

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Mark's a really nice guy. While we were filming "Comic Book: The Movie", he shook my hand and apologized if it hurt because that was his "mechanical" hand. :) As far as any ill feelings about Star Wars and it's fans, every single interview I've seen or heard of him has him mention how grateful he is for being in it, how he was one of the few who thought it would make money, and, most importantly, how he's comfortable being remembered for being Luke Skywalker, no matter what happened before or after Star Wars. Who knows, there's still almost 3 months to rearrange things. Trust me, after being to all three Celebrations, you shouldn't let one disappointment affect all the positive experiences you'll get and will remember for the rest of your life! :D

4. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Oh how wonderful!

I do hope Mark has a change of circumstance and can come - [face_praying]

5. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    I thought that was one of the reasons it moved to LA because Mark is known to be afraid of flying.

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aside from the fact that it is uncivil and it makes ALL SW fans look bad (which is why I object to it), calling actors names for not attending CIV presumes that one knows WHY they declined. If an actor has a commitment for work (As I said before, lots of fans can't make CIV because of work; why should the actors get slapped for doing the same?), or their kid's graduation or something, then CIV is likely to be a lower priority. There are many reasons -- other than dissing the fans -- that an actor might not come.

It is less than 3 months before CIV and they seem to be just getting around to announcing their guest list. That's pretty sad. I looked at the ComiCon (in July) and DragonCon (in Aug) web sites and both of them have long guest lists already. The events that book guests earlier are more likely to get them.

I'd like to see the editors/writers of the "Making of..." books. And the visual dictionaries.

Y'know I would also like to see Weird Al at CIV. Yeah, he's not exactly SW, but he's done a couple of SW songs and I'd love to see him and the All-Jedi band. :)

7. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Nobody is calling Mark Hamill derogatory names (or any other celeb) for not appearing at CIV. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. We are simply stating our desire to see him there, and our disappointment if he does not.

Yes fans will be upset if he is not there (and they have every right to feel that way as fans). But none of us are going so far as to start slandering him. [face_tired]

8. Doctor_Evil

Jun 23, 2002
    No No... I did call him a "dink." Which is a mild derogatory term along the lines of "Jerk". So while it is a negative term, it's about the mildest one I can think of. Maybe "stupid-head" would have been better. ;)

Honestly though, there are words and there are deeds and I ain't seen no deeds yet. Perhaps it is all work conflicts. Maybe the blame goes to the organizers. Perhaps my frustration manifests itself as anger towards Mark that is not deserved.

But I just find it hard to believe that he can find the time to go to other cons and not one of the 4 cons devoted exclusively to Star Wars! I'll admit it! I have Hamill envy! :(

-Doc

9. bonzofett

bonzofett Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, I would call Mark Hamill a dink.

No, he doesn't owe anything to anybody... that's right. But he also ain't Harrison Ford, who just happens to be filming Indiana Jones IV right about the same time as CIV. I think this is just a slap in the face to all of us and I think it it shows the kind of person he really is and what he actually thinks of Star Wars and its fans.

If Harrison Ford announced that he thought Star Wars was cons were for geeks and has-been actors, I wouldn't be offended. I would expect it. But Mark Hamill, the autueur of Comic Book the Movie, he's too good to show up?

The last time I checked, the guy who played Luke Skywalker wasn't even on the Hollywood D list.

What a dink.

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I don't think it's anything like that - I'd like to think not, anyway. I DO know we have three more months before hand, and still hope that a change of circumstances will enable Mark to join us.

11. bonzofett

Mar 10, 2005
    Uh... have you been in a closet since 1983? That sci-fi movie the Gyver and a few Batman cartoon voices back in 1988 don't really count.

12. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    OK, this is moderator talk: things have been civil up to this point. Let's keep it that way. Let's concentrate on who's coming, instead of who isn't.

13. bonzofett

Mar 10, 2005
    Fine, banish me from the message boards for saying something negative about Star Wars or anyone related with it.

I'm a fan and I'm spending thousands of dollars to go to C4, so I guess my opinion as a consumer shouldn't be heard.

14. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    Any chance of Palpatine(Ian) being there?How sweet would that be?!!!!

15. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    I would love to see McDiarmid attend CIV.

But his $229.00 price for signed pics on OP's website would have me worried what he would charge for autos. *Gulp* [face_worried]

16. bonzofett

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, I could probably get Carrie Fisher and Anthony Daniels to sign all three of my OT posters for the price of 1 Ian McDiarmiad autograph. However, if he was there, I would be willing to spend a lot for it as I think that he is probably the best actor to appear in all six films and it would be the centerpiece of my collection... next to my C3 Billy Dee signed pic.

17. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    It would be a really tough call deciding whether or not to plunk down the cash for McDiamid's autograph (if it is indeed as expensive as his pics on the OP website).

$229.00 is a lot of Republic Credits for one autograph. But then again it IS the Emperor we're talking about. How could I pass up the opportunity to get his auto?

18. Doctor_Evil

Jun 23, 2002
    Back on topic... Some poeple I'd like to see at C4...

Frank Oz - I'll bet he would be great panelist. Director, puppeteer, Voice over artist. He has had a front row seat to the way the Star Wars Film making process has evolved over 5 of the 6 movies.

Ben Burtt - I got to see Matt Wood's presentation on audio mixing at C3. Would love to see the head audio guy give a presentation.

Weird Al - What a great idea! I'd love for them to somehow get him involved. Whether it be performing or even leading a panel on Star Wars in pop culture or something.

Nate - That guy from Beauty and the Geek with the Star Wars band. I don't care about him, but I'd like to see his band perform.

Kevin Smith - there is no bigger star wars fan and he could lead a panel on how Star Wars has affected film makers or in the aforementioned Star Wars pop culture panel, if they were to have something like that.

Steven Spielberg - Okay, not gonna happen, but I'd love to hear more of his musings on Star Wars especially early on, when not many people believed in the movie except him and George.

-Doc

19. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ben Burtt! How could I forget? :oops: He was one of the best parts of the OT DVD commentaries. I'd love to hear more about how he made the jump from analog tape to digital.

20. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    That's a great list, Doctor. Only problem is, they'd have to post an "Adults Only" sign for Kevin Smith's panel :).

21. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    You've got to add the Master of Animation himself, Rob Coleman, to that list.

I know he was only invloved in the PT, but I would love to be able to talk to him about the whole digital Star Wars universe. I could talk his ear off for hours.

22. Doctor_Evil

Jun 23, 2002
    Coleman is a good call. Jon Knoll is a good one too, but I did see him at c3, so I was thinking of those I personally have not seen yet. Was Coleman at C3? I don't remember seeing him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nick Gilard again either, but I'd like to see him do some demontrations. Maybe with Ray Park.

I personally would like to see Mike Stackpole on a authors panel. But I don't see him doing it. He has sworn off star Wars novels for the time being. (Last time I checked anyway) He is my favorite EU author.

-Doc

23. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I saw Mark Hamill at the Empire Fan Fest in 2004. He came in for a 45 minute Q&A and signed pics for about 45 minutes. We have known about CIV for a year now. The damn thing is 5 days long. Nobody in their right mind is going to tell me that in a year, this guy couldn't juggle a couple of obligations to make it. Even if it was for a day. Hell, even if it was for a few hours. I'm spending a fortune going to CIV. The tickets, the hotel, the airfare, the cab rides....everything. It'll be way into the thousands by the end of this trip. He is Luke Skywalker. It's the 30th Anniversity. He NEEDS to be there. I will lose ALL respect for him if he doesn't show. This is a huge slap in the face to all Star Wars fans everywhere.

On a positive note, I am looking forward to meeting Mrs. Fisher. I already have her auto 2x's over, so I might just get a picture with her.

24. anakin2lordvader

anakin2lordvader Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    hey there Ive never been to a starwars celebration so this will be my first, but I just wanted to say Im bummed that Mark Hamill cant make it... he was the only one I thought Id see for sure.

25. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Trust me - not having Mark Hamill at CIV will not be a big deal for you if this is your first SW celebration. There will be SO MUCH to do that not seeing Hamill will be a complete after-thought for you.

Get ready for SW sensory overload at CIV. Enjoy it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.