main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Who handles Star Wars better? George Lucas or Disney? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SW Saga Fan, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Which isn't all that odd for rating movies days after release.

2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    It's not the first time that audience scores and critics scores differ greatly for any kind of movies in general.

And by the way, I wonder why some people can't accept that the audience and a fanbase are still very divided on a movie (because many people really are in reality when I've been asking to some people around me and they generally feel mixed towards TLJ), somehow feeling the emergency to find something to comfort their own beliefs and opinions... In general, each person is different and everyone has different a feeling and opinion, regardless of the subject, we only have to deal with it... We can't simply take a score or a critic for cash..

Here's a video summarizing very well my thoughts on this matter:

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    TLJ. It is so deep that now we are reviewing reviews.

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Oh come on. Enough with the condescending remarks. This isn't a case of delusional fans making things up to comfort themselves. The issue with the online polling has been reported right across the entertainment media. Articles like the one I just posted weren't written by rabid fanboys of TLJ. They're written by online journalists reporting on an issue & backing up their stories with research. Let's not pretend that if the same kind of thing was reported about a SW movie you like, you wouldn't highlight it & take it into consideration.

Getting back on topic, since your OP raised the issue of RT user scores as some kind of relevant factor, what of the fact that TLJ (which is "divisive" & likely had its score deliberately dragged down) has an average user score equal to the much vaunted RotS. GL's crowning achievement of the past 20 years. You can't have it both ways. If those scores are so important then you need to accept that the best recent movie by Lucas appears to "only" be as well regarded as TLJ. With both films being a long way off the pace of TFA & R1. At least according to the polling that you referenced in this thread.

5. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    To me, it no longer matters what rating a movie gets since I stopped caring about the ridiculous quarrel between fans about "who likes this movie more, or less, than me?"

But in my OP, what this score of RT does show, even if "hacked" or "brought down by false accounts", is that there's a group of people who are not happy about the direction Disney and the new Lucasfilm are taking the saga. We can accuse them to ruin other people's opinion on a movie by falsely bringing down a score, just as many people on the internet have been trolling and bullying other people who said that they liked the PT for years. But the facts are here: some people don't like the new Star Wars movies produced by the new Lucasfilm under Disney, just as some people didn't like the PT produced under Lucas. This then brought me to the following question which I posted in the title of this thread.

Sure, you can say that my question was biased after mentioning TLJ's Rotten Tomato audience score, but I guess that if someone else was asking the same question by comparing TFA and TLJ's critical score (made by the professional critics, not the audience) to the PT's critical score, this question would still remain biased...

6. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Yup. Let's use #'s

At this point in time, AotC was at 105% of the total gross of TPM. Compare that to 70% of the total gross of TLJ to TFA.

We will ignore those ACTUAL numbers and instead point to wild theories about why the low Audience scores don't matter. People logged on for the first time to vote there. OMG. How many of the positive reviews were first time voters and how many were negative? How does that compare to other big releases? Did this "journalist" do that? Not from what I can tell. What you are seeing there is not reporting. It is confirmation bias.

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    So as a suggestion, since you chose to reference RT polling you could've included the average score of both users & critics for the 3 Prequels + TCW (being the most recent representatives of the Lucas era) as well as the 3 Disney era movies. Here you go:

TPM: Avg critics rating = 6/10. Avg audience rating = 3.3/5 (or for a better comparison 6.6/10).
    AotC: 6.7 / 6.6
    Rots: 7.3 / 6.2
    TCW: 4.2 / 6

TFA: 8.2 / 8.6
    R1: 7.5 / 8.4
    TLJ: 8.1 / 6.2

Avg critics rating for the PT (not including TCW): 6.6/10.
    Avg audience rating for the PT (not including TCW): 6.4/10.
    Avg critics rating for Disney/LFL: 7.9/10.
    Avg audience rating for Disney/LFL: 7.7/10.

You're welcome ;)

8. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm sure all those PT ratings were faked. Housing prices were starting to surge like never before and therefore ... correlation. Not to mention all the users logging in with usernames that contained numbers. I mean numbers in a name? Clearly bots.

9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I honestly find the condescension in this thread, from both sides of the debate, to be pretty astounding.

10. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Well, everybody could see it coming from a mile away with @Martoto77 's first post in the thread. Everything was quite fine until then.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Was it? The OP was loaded & biased. No offence to SWSF who’s generally a good poster.

13. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Stop condescending

14. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017
    George Lucas...DUH!!!

ami-padme and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    heels1785 likes this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    We are reoppening this thread because it really is a great topic and excellent discussion has occurred. However it is being opened with this one important caveat. The moment that this thread starts to go off-topic or bashing, flaming or personal attacks occur, those peope involved with have their posting privlidges with the JCF revoked. This post serves as our warning of our zero tolerance policy for this thread.

@anakinfansince1983

17. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I liked that Lucas saw Star Wars as a big sandbox he built for other authors to play in. The authors understood they had to make an effort to defer to previous author works, but Lucas did not have to defer to them.

It helped expand the universe while also not painting Lucas into a corner. That seems like a pretty good arrangement for both.

I wish the Clone Wars cartoon focused on quantity over quality and tried to feel like the movies with the only difference being animation (and some character's voices).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That’s a good point about how the EU was handled. Just about anything seemed possible and that was pretty exciting (aside from the fact that major movie characters were invincible ;)).

On the other hand, I love what LFL is doing now, with the Story Group keeping tabs on everything to make sure that Star Wars canon remains consistent. It feels nice and safe :)
    That approach is a bit more limiting for the artists, of course, but it’s still a big galaxy that’s mostly unexplored. All kinds of crazy stuff can happen!

19. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    This thread feels like a dangerous place to post now, but seeing as I enjoy OT, PT, and ST, I think I'll be find.

Ultimately, I would say Lucas did better. I'll admit I am biased. I admire GL more than anybody.
    I think the Lucas six fit together so well.

On the other hand, I like how KK intended to use an array of up and coming directors to bring Star Wars back. Unfortunately, she's "allegedly" fired more than half of them, or reworked their movies. I liked R1, maybe KK saved the movie, I'll probably never know. But my gut tells me she is kind of constricting creativity a bit.

So I say Lucas.

20. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It's a sad day when TLJ has the worst audience score out of the entire saga.

MODified: Nope. Not sure which part of “discuss the films, not the fans” is difficult to understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
    ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  21. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Well, SW was kinda dead minus TCW after ROTS, so I'll give Disney credit for making it a big franchise in the 2010s again, but George.

TCW was fantastic, and George left the saga on such a high note with ROTS. Plus, so many great SW videogames and comics from Dark Horse. It felt more special when new SW stuff came. And I appreciate Disney helping to keep it going, but the actual content from them has been subpar to me compared to before.

22. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    George Lucas obviously. Lucas handled Star Wars for decades and under him it became this worldwide phenomena. Disney handles it nicely overall but it's not like they created and grew this thing

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Basically I would think the discussion comes down to Star Wars or Disney's take on Star Wars, since Lucas is the creator. So far, I've enjoyed the world-building, characters, and stories far more in Lucas' original saga, so he gets my vote. He's the only one that'll ever really "get" how to further develop the Star Wars universe. His work was motivated by a vision, while Disney focuses on which Star Wars story can appeal to the mass audiences more.

I don't have a problem with Disney expanding Star Wars through one-off stories that add more to Saga characters and events like Rogue One and a Kenobi film, but their new films in the "Skywalker" Saga have not impressed me.

I think that TFA and on is a clear demonstration that Star Wars/Lucasfilm (and most franchises for that matter) was better as an independent project rather than one under a corporation. It's just not the same (otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  24. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I totally agree. I like Ep7&8 but they've got nothing on The Lucas Saga (1-6), in my opinion

25. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Well, I like the OT, but dislike the SE's and and don't care about the PT. I also like all three of the Disney era films so far, but that's just three movies. I guess I like both takes equally?