main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Who has the better rogues gallery? Batman or Spider-Man?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SateleNovelist11, Mar 10, 2022.

?

Which enemies are better? Spider-Man's or Batman's?

1. Batman's

87.2%
  2. Spider-Man's

12.8%
  1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think the Phoenix Joker is more funny than Ledgers Joker in a comedic or jokes way. Ledger’s Joker is great at creating humor from giving other villains their comeuppance. Phoenix Joker has a serious cringe humor.

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    this is an interesting take

I voted Batman villains, though I prefer Spidey as a character

but my vote for Batman villains is mostly based on the cartoon from the 90s, and comics I’ve read over the years, and some of the older Batman films, so yeah a lot of that doesn’t apply to the last 20 years or so now

and really both characters, if you really look into the comic runs, have some lesser known villains that could easily be brought back to feature today in a film or tv series, I mean there’s plenty of dumb ones but also a few pretty interesting ones

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Batman by far.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    No doubt that Spider-Man's enemies are very interesting, though.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. VergeresTears

VergeresTears Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2023
    Too many animal themed villains in Spider-Man's rogues for my tastes.

SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Animalistic, eh? Well, Batman's villains' humanity is emphasized more. I agree. That's why I voted for them.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Why hasn't Kraven ever hunted the rest of the them? You're right. That group is like a safari.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Batman has a better group of villains. Spidey has better wisecracks against his villains though.

godisawesome likes this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As a counterpoint to Ramza, there's all Batman's semi-generic mobsters: Roman, Black Mask, Rupert Thorne, etc.

More seriously, he is correct that there is an over-reliance on Joker. But it's a more than worthy trade. Batman villains have shelf lives because several of them actually have a coherent motivation. Mr. Freeze is trying to save his wife. The Riddler wants to make a statement about his intellectual superiority (this is the worst one). Two Face is dealing with trauma after first abusing the justice system and then having it fail him. Each of these stories has a point when they should end. When any logical person would say enough and go home.

By contrast, a guy with robot arms? A hang-glider and an orc Halloween costume? A giant rhinoceros? Why exactly is any of this happening? What is the point? It's just weird stuff with people being evil for really no reason except they need to fight a spider-themed guy. That's much less interesting from a narrative point of view.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Spider-Man's villains are great (especially Dr. Octopus, Goblins, Mysterio, Lizard, Venom, though particularly Venom and Kraven get lesser if used too much) but Batman's haVe an at least narrow advantage, so many great in different ways (my favorites Joker, Poison Ivy and Scarecrow but also Two-Face, Catwoman, Riddler, Freeze, Ra's, the only major one I'm not a big fan of, other than in the '60s TV series, is the Penguin).

Ghost likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Batman also has...Condiment King

Ghost and godisawesome like this.
  12. VergeresTears

Jan 13, 2023
    You would think he'd be one of Batman's more seasoned adversaries, but no, he only first appeared in the nineties animated series.

gezvader28, godisawesome and Sarge like this.
  13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    They’re clearly setting us up for zombie Aunt May.

Which I’m totally up for.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's a tough one

Batman has some amazing villains, but he also has some of the worst (condiment king, kite man etc)

Though Spider-Man also has dumb enemies, like Hammerhead.

I think the downside of Batman is that so far not enough if his villains have been portrayed well in live action.
    Poison Ivy & Mr Freeze are the obvious ones, so much potential and yet not utilised. Partly because of this weird desire to make Batman "grounded" all the time.
    Screw that, I want a rampaging plant goddess & a shape shifting mud man.
    Arkham games are the benchmark for depictions of Batman villains IMO, just do that in movies.

Spider-Man has nailed the portrayal of many of his iconic baddies - especially Green Goblin, Mysterio & Doc Ock.

Ghost likes this.
  15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    You got to relish good B-listers.

Ghost and VergeresTears like this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Anti-hero.
    Written like the Joker.
    See above.

You've misunderstood my (somewhat jokingly phrased) complaint because you think I was talking about Batman villains when they still were a compelling and diverse cast of criminals. Not so. I was saying Batman nowadays has two villains: the Joker, and his writers who insist on making every villain basically a palette swap of the Joker. Although ironically this has begun to ease up now that those books had major turnover and meanwhile Spider-Man continues to have exactly one villain and it's editorial mandates. :p

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  17. VergeresTears

Jan 13, 2023
    Yeah they're peppered throughout the comics and the various television series, but the lack of good live-action b-listers who pass mustard can tend to make one a bit salty.

godisawesome likes this.
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think we actually disagree. There's a reason I referred to their "shelf life." When an interesting motivation has run its course, there are only two options: A) Being evil for no reason (Joker) or B) Not being evil any longer, although past crimes limit the ability to reintegrate into society (Anti-hero). I think that what you dislike is a direct consequence of the series having rogues that were well though out. Comics have to be endless but well-written stories have endings. When those two imperatives clash, what you get is something less than ideal.

Also, I do like how the B-listers help spice things up.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, we don't, I'm just kvetching. Kvetching about the funny books.

And we all know that without b-listers those funny book writers would be in a real pickle.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I believe he was just a brainwashed victim of the Joker, used to distract Batman from something.

But yeah, I really hope they use Poison Ivy, I think she would have fit in well with Nolan’s League of Shadows wanting to “reset” civilization. Mr. Freeze would be a great film villain too. Both of these could be done in a way that’s not too campy.

And while less grounded, I think Clayface and Man-Bat would be great in some more horror/detective themed Batman movies.