main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who here also dreams of working in ILM?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Gry Sarth, Jul 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    That would certainly be bliss. Can you imagine, doing those wonderful things those guys do? Getting paid some very decent cash, working w/ Lucas and other great directors... and being considered one of the best in the craft... oohhh...

Someday... someday...

2. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    That would be the ticket there...

3. reeves1

reeves1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    One of my good friends works for ILM but he CAN'T tell me ANYTHING.

4. NRDigital

NRDigital Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    ILM would complete my life's goal.
    Ever since I saw the special editions, and was really shown what ILM was, I've wanted to do special effects.
    It would be one of the most rewarding jobs in the world, you know? To work so hard for 18 months on a project, then to be told by fans that 'These were the best FX ever!'
    It's got to be a great feeling!

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Working at ILM would be the ultimate job. I'd probably work on models for the films, like the ones tehy used for the Naboo fighters and stuff, as I don't know *too* much about 3D progs, but still... that would be the best job ever!

6. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    My life's professional goal would be to be a 3D artist there..... if possible in time to work on Ep3... :)

7. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I'd like to be the fly on the wall.

8. The_Wampa

The_Wampa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2001
    Yeah, but by the time I can get to work for ILM, Gl will be . . . dead! :(

9. Hoedaack

Hoedaack Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Being a fly on the wall is overrated.

:)

10. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I've seriously considered applying to ILM. But then I found out you have to be skilled.... :(

All I want to do is direct a movie. Is that too much to ask?

11. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. [face_blush]

12. Dead Star

Dead Star Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2000
    I would like to work in the consept art department. Imagen: Drawing something, and see it come to life on the big screen. AWSOME!

13. MusicJedi

MusicJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2001
    Skywalker sound. I would loooove to be a foley artist. Or be one of the guys who goes out and records strange sounds. The hours at ILM must suck though.

14. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Never give up on your dreams. Ever since I was an 8 year old kid and saw ANH I knew what I wanted to do. I'm getting ready to graduate from film school and ILM as well as LucasFilm will be getting my resume. I've had them send me info before and what I learned is that they want someone specialized and experienced in their craft.
    They have many departments so you may need to go to school and major in computer animation, computer science, business, Film with an emphasize in Editing or Cinematography, Graphic Design, etc. If you want it bad enough it will happen. I know I'm not going to stop till I'm on ILM's pay-roll.

15. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    Just to once render on a computer with 400 GIGABYTES OF RAM!!!!!!!!
    I could render Coruscant in 3 seconds in stead of the 18 hours it took me. And just to work in the best programs available.

16. MAKHAVOK

MAKHAVOK Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2000
    Working for ILM has been a dream of mine for years. I would even like to be as a coffe and donnet runner. Just as long as I can be there.

17. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I actually would not want to work for ILM. I love the SW movies, but it would be pretty gruelling to work on the films themselves. You have to be extraordinarily skilled and work long hours every day. The pay is good, but not great. You're sworn to secrecy regarding your work, and if you violate a non-disclosure agreement you can be fired. Lucas is a real perfectionist, so that means the ILM guys are constantly having to redo their work. I don't know about ILM, but some studios only pay for accepted pieces, not rejected ones. Plus, they also have other non-SW films to work on and must meet deadlines.

I actually spent a year studying animation. We had a 70 hour work week and were expected to go without sleep when a big project was due. When you spend that much time locked in a studio your health begins to suffer. I can only imagine that the guys at ILM have to do so much more at a much higher level. But most of all I find the SW films to be magical, and I fear that if I was to look behind the wizard's curtain that magic would be lost.

-Dubya Fett

18. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Oh man, would I like to work for ILM! The only thing is that I tend to start big projects and give up on them when it get boring. I might be better at doing animatics. ;)

19. DARTHJEDI

DARTHJEDI Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2001
    I would love to work for Lucasfilm, if I can't do that my second choice would be Kevin Smith's View Askew Productions.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Unlocked and 'upped' to prevent re-autolocking, as part of the LFP Index project

21. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    LOL, for a moment I thought we had a major influx in this forum. Anyway this explains it.

Speaking of ILM, anyone have comments on 2002's body of work or the bake-off finalists?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.