main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is Rox, and why has he stolen our banner?

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by toochilled, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Yup - the UKFF banner {which I never liked that much anyway} has been removed by Rox. he said it did not promote a family - - aaah something or other. {go to the ukff and read yourself if you want [face_plain]}

The point is how and why did he do this? The banner was designed by the entire UKFF, if you like, it brought us together as a family of posters. It has also been up for MONTHS. [face_plain]

More importantly though, now that our first choice banner has been removed does the banner which came second in our voting take it's place??

Also, do we get the benefit of Rox in other capacities?
    I mean, I'm sure I am in dire need of moral guidance and, since he seems to be offering, would like to garner advice off of the great man [face_plain]

2. BGRMonkeyLove

BGRMonkeyLove Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2002
    I agree completely. I have complained about Rox's behaviour in Comms and been directed here.

It is unbeleivable that a mod would step in and do this without consulting the regional community concerned. If he had, he may have learned that the banner was the result of community teamwork in which the board's Mods participated.

I will paste in what I wrote in Comms:

Rox has quite clearly made a very serious error of judgement. It is clear he has upset a huge number of regular posters, and I was wondering what disciplinary structures are in place for Administrators to stop him from making such mistakes in the future? I would recommend either a short ban or a demotion within the hierarchy.

3. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    My last word.

Some consultation would have been greatly appreciated - especially to our Mods, Alpha Wolf and Commander Antilles. [face_plain]

4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    FanForce Mods need to take a lesson from all the DRAMA from the JCC Proper.

The lesson is:

Rocking the Boat and annoying users for no good reason bar "middle management lameness" is a bad idea.

I draw attention to "SlackerGate" and "Lord Chewy" as examples of people being Zealous with power for no reasonable reason.

I think (as an impartial observer) that the FFUK Guys have had hard enough trouble with all the frictions and divisions, that you taking away possibly the ONLY thing that unites them, (The banner), is bad form.

There is a difference between a "PG/U" Forum and a "Disneyfied" Forum you know.

UKS

5. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    I'm not sure I get this right.

You guys voted for a banner, and your RSA approved it.

It stayed up for months.

And now, the GSA decides to take it down because he thinks it's not appropriate, and he does it without consulting the members or the RSA???

If really it was that inappropriate, it should have been said months ago, not now.
    And to present the members with the fait accompli is a total lack of respect.

6. BGRMonkeyLove

BGRMonkeyLove Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm not sure I get this right.

You do, unfortunately ... you do get this right. Hard to beleive, isn't it?

7. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Dude, I've never really done much as far as FanForce, It was a drama-drought, which we've been in, and a link in communications that brought me here :p

But If I can try to equate this into similar terms, The Blue Yoda Society, of which I ama member, has foughten quite a bit to get an icon, it wasnt easy and it took a bit of time. (pay attention, next part relates more ;)) We all worked very hard on creating and voting and coming up with one, a lot of effort was put in to that final 50x50 graphic! So finally, the administration approved it, and we were all extremely happy! If a month down the road an admin were to delete it after previously approving of it and without consulting with other mods/managers/admins, I would feel down right cheated, taken advantage of, and treated unfairly, by my "friendly" neighborhood mods. If what I just said, equates into what happend, and I think it does, you guys were treated unfairly.

Infact, even if they did consult with other gsa or rsa, whatever, don't know what their called, it would still be unfair, but it wouldn't be against the rules because basically the mods can do anything, according to the TOS.

It's the fact that he decided to take the go ahead and take a highly controversial action without ever consulting with the other admninistrators

tom's handy drama meter : 8 1/2

8. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
  9. Vlad-the-Inhaler

Vlad-the-Inhaler Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    I am most disappointed by the behaviour of dis Rox...
    der fun has gone from der UK unt Scotland boards...

soon, der people will go too......

10. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Can someone tell me what was on the FFUK banner that was offensive?

11. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    It was the simple fact that the legend 'FFUK' could have been misconstrued as a vulgarity. That's a farely lame reason, really, particularly as that icon has been in use since the spring of this year and I've not read a single post claiming it to be offensive.
    Many posters have commented on the acronym but in a humourous manner. It hasn't offended anyone - and in many ways is emblematic of the bulldog spirit and self-deprecating toilet humour of our small group of fair islands.

Offensive or not, this icon had gone through all the correct channels of administration before it was put into use. Now, bluntly, it's been abruptly removed by an admin that I've never even heard of for reasons that have never been previously acknowledged...

12. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I thought the JC had moved forward but there still seems to be members of the "management" that are stuck in a different era!

The removal of the banner without consultation by a mod who rarely, if ever visits FFUK is amazing! This shows a lack of respect for the membership of FFUK and relfects and age of the JC I thought was long gone!

Fan Force United Kingdom (aka FFUK) is only vulgar to those who wish to see it that way. There have been no complaints from any of the FFUK membership or by Alpha Wolf and CA, our mods!

If Rox is refering to the similarity of our intials to that of a famous swear word regarding "Forbidden Carnal Knowledge" then he/she has got it completely wrong and obviously fails to understand the British sense of humour!

I'm afraid both the removal and the way it was done is totally out of order. It would be nice to hear what a member of the Mod squad has to say about this.

I will also be mentioning this to the Advisory Coucnil so they can bring this up.

13. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    What makes me laugh is, until recently, Commander Antilles, (who cleared it), was one of the "top three" of the Entire Jedicouncil!

UKS

14. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Well, it's a bit of a moot point. The departed members of FF UK have asked that the banner and icon be removed in any case, as they were something designed by them. A new banner and icon will have to be made.

15. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

Oh, so it's sour grapes from the "old lot" then?

They don't have the right to do that anyway, surely?

I'd have thought that they had signed the rights over to TF.N?

Or, can you even own the rights on a picture that contains copyrighted images?

So many questions!

UKS

16. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Well, LFL owns all SW images. The FF UKers just don't want their designs to be used here anymore.

17. toochilled

Oct 17, 2000
    for those that are interested. (and I would really love to see someone justify banning me for posting this):

The supposedly vulgar banner
    [image=http://www.cosmic.org.uk/dfyfc/misc/banner.jpg]

18. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    You cannot give a gift and then ask for it back when you leave the party!

Surely those who designed it can't dictate to the FAN FORCE UK about its use!!!! This is absurd!

It was designed by Fan Force UKers for use by Fan Force UK.

This seems a little petty me thinks!

PS - How tempted was I to use our former acronym?????

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I'd have thought that they had signed the rights over to TF.N?

[face_laugh] Tf.N and copyright? Don't make me laugh!

20. toochilled

Oct 17, 2000
    Lucasfilm own the images.
    The creators' own the intellectual property for the combination of the images.

Hell - I don't think anyone would mind if you kept the banner. Oh -- hang on. No.. Rox would because it is so obviously Vulgar. [face_plain]

21. garrettendi

garrettendi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    i seem to remember that a number of non UK members called those of the FF-UK "motherff-ukers".

that may well justify a banning, but a reference to a beer advert (the xxxx of the banner) as joke on the FF-UK title is hardly adult content.

22. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    It's not sour grapes. The title of the Fan Force is Fan Force British Isles. The group known as Fan Force UK (FF-UK) is a group set-up two years ago. We happened to want to have our own banner on the site as well as our own logo. We have now moved to another forum where we wish to use the banner/logo. It was not given to TFN and I'd consider the banner and logo, despite the content of star wars characters in the banner, as intellectual property of FanForce UK.

23. garrettendi

garrettendi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    well said Poodu

24. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    It's not sour grapes.

Well, I would guess there has to be some reason you are attempting to erase your presence from the boards. ;)Otherwise, why not leave the icon for those members of your club who might still post on these boards?

Let me see if I get this right:

1. FF-UK becomes official.

2. Conflict/Discourd occurs in FF-UK forum.

3. Banner is created by FF_UK member.

4. FF-UK (or some part thereof) decides to leave the Jedi Council and re-locate to own website....

5. ... and they decide to take their banner and their icon with them.

Basically, I'm wondering if this a management issue, or an internal FF-British Isle issue.

Edit: changed wording a bit
    Edit2: typo.

25. toochilled

Oct 17, 2000
    ok

let me reiterate.

THE BANNER WAS TAKEN DOWN BY THE FF ADMIN FOR BEING VULGAR

The remaining users cannot use it, even if they want to. THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD to a large extent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.