main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is Rox, and why has he stolen our banner?

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by toochilled, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Will people please listen to toochilled? He's talking sense!!!!

2. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    My opinion of the administration and the whole authority around here is this - [face_plain]

You don't like our banner? Well it doesn't matter what you think anyway. You take it away without our consultation which is wrong and is totally lame.

Listen to TC, he has it right.

3. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    It is understood that you all have mixed opinions on this. The admins and mods are discussing a solution right now. Hang tight and we will give you the lowdown. ;)

EDIT: I may not speak for everyone, but I am sorry for the abruptness on the banner removal. Hopefully, we'll give more warning in the future. :)

4. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Well, I read that thread about removing the banner, and yes, you are correct, Rox said he removed it becuase it was vulgar. If I remember correctly, his main problem was with the slogan.

I completely agree that he should have warned your local mods or at least given the group a day or so to make the necessary changes on their own.

So, yes, I agree, Rox should have handeled the situation differently.

On the other hand, I don't know if that would have matter, becuase it seems that the creator of the banner requested that it be deleted. It looks like the Admin's position on banners is similar their policy on locking threads upon Author's request - if you made it/started it, then you can destroy it. (A policy I disagree with)

So while Rox was at fault for removing it without warning in the first place (IMHO), you have an arguably bigger problem with the designer that requested that it be deleted. So in some sense, Rox's actions seem to just be another drop in the bucket of 'issues' you guys have been/are dealing with.

5. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    As Elan-Rai stated above, the situation is being discussed by the FF Staff at this time. The custom board settings are still saved with the rest of the system styles, so restoring them can be done with the click of a button (or could be, if the FFUK doesn't want them removed).

6. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    It doesn't help that the banner was removed right after an extremely acrimonious meltdown in the UK forums, when we could have done with some time for the dust to settle.

7. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    I second that opinion CA.

It's just thrown another spanner in the works. Yesterday was our first day of peace on the board and then this happens to spark another controversy.

8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    Sorry guys, I haven't been around today.

I didn't know anything about this.

Like Hama said, the Staff are talking about it. I'll let you know what I can, when I can. :)

9. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    I bet I know why.

Look out for more advertising by 3rd party companies on the JC real soon.

10. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Sorry, so the banner and image is the property of FANFORCE UK.

That's FANFORCE UK.

Surely the term FANFORCE is owned by TF.N?

Catch 22 me thinks.

But lets get away from "copyright" and "ownership", as that is all rather silly and I regret bringing it up.

To be fair, I don't have a vested interest in this (bar being British), I just think that the FFUK discord needs to be treated like a divorce.

With no recriminations.

But, you have to understand that FFUK is NOT YOU (i.e. the guys who have left), but everyone who has posted, evryone who felt that they joined this Forum, and enjoyed everyones company.

Now to say, "Sorry We're FFUK and YOUR NOT." Strikes me as rather rude. and was the cause (IMHO) of a few of the problems

UKS

11. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Honestly Rox what you did was utterly thoughtless and selfish. You obviously don't understand British humour and because of this you've made us all suffer. I don't mean to insult you but it's the truth.

And you REALLY couldn't have chosen a worse time. We're slowly getting back on our feet after a massive upset and then you go and take our banner. How could you be so thoughtless? You're a mod and you should have at least given us a warning before you just went and took it.

12. garrettendi

garrettendi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    //applauds Ginger_Jedi

and UKS, i strongly suggest that you get your facts straight before you post. The Original FF-UK was created before our forum in the Jedi Council was named after it. That particular JC board is still called "Fan Force British Isles". Our decision to move back to the original location is nothing to do with you. If you do not believe that the banner or the name FF-UK is owned by us, then i seriously advise you never to go into court, because you would obviously not make a good lawyer.

13. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    [face_blush] Thanks Garrett

14. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    No sorry, there's the point....
    ..and you've missed it.

I was trying to say (in my own roundabout way) that arguing over who owns it is rather silly.

User 1: "I own the image!"

User 2: "Well I own the name!"

Lucasfilm: "No we own the images used"

French Connection: "And you abusing our copyrighted image"

...see? it's all silly internet talk about who owns what,where and how.

The point is, people KNOW the forum as FFUK. and now you want to take it away cause.... why?

You introduced it, called it this, (after your "other" website/board maybe), and now that people have accepted that "identity", you want to take it away.

They are now going to rename it, and you have gained... what?

INTERNET VICTORY?

Any goodwill you had from me about the way you have "been treated" has gone...

UKS

15. garrettendi

garrettendi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    you'll have to talk to some others about this because as far as i know we didnt intend to ruin the "FF-UK" board. im sorry if it appeared that way.

16. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

You've given Rox what he wanted.

A LEGITIMATE reason to have had removed the Banner and "name".

He can now say, "They wanted it gone, so it's gone. No harm done".

Rather then emphasise the point of him riding roughshot over the wishes of the users of the Forum.

It's all too confusing really...! :(

I had hoped to come in and be a sort of neutral party between "British Isles Fanforce", "FFUK" and Rox

Seem I haven't really helped.

Sorry.

UKS

17. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    It's simple I think.

Despite the massive upheaval at FFUK recently the majority of those still keeping it alive WANT the banner we had originally. We liked it, it was original and it was not vulgar in our very British opinion.

:)

18. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    Exactly.

Well put Ginger!

UKS

19. Charis

Jun 29, 2002
    Perhaps true, but some of the FF-UKers on the new board have asked CA to delete all their hardwork from this forum.

Therefore, in the premise of a compromise, the best solution is for the other board to have their stuff back and to break all association with us and for us to design some new stuff of our own.

Of course, this will also mean that they will have to remove some of their stuff, such as the members list etc. that has the FanForce board members on it.

20. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    It's a shame it all had to end like this.

Poor little Mon-keh :( I loved that icon!

Well Charis if we make our own banner we'll have to make sure we have a nice dash of British humour to it and post an explaination so no one takes it the wrong way :)

21. Charis

Jun 29, 2002
    Yeah, we can ask the new Mods to put a pin thread with an explanation in it. There are quite a few people out and about tonight so we can get something sorted out once we work out who's still gonna be posting. We can have a meeting in the pub garden :) I'll bring sandwiches and lemonade ;) You bring the cakes :D

Honestly though Ginger, I'm more upset about the Star Wars in Glaswegian thread and the Scottish board in general. I'm gonna miss Mr.DD alot.

22. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    ;) Cakes on the way.

*sigh* Everything's changing I know but we can keep the FFUK and FF British Isles alive for sure :D

23. Charis

Jun 29, 2002
    Yeah, well, we actually seem to be quite busy tonight - except that everyone is posting across several forums at once whilst trying to PM as well.

We have to wait to see what the FF staff decide as they will get the final say, but a new start sounds cool.

Ok, we've decided and hope anyone interested will put forward a new banner for the forum. Anyone who likes the old banner can use that with a modified logo. No, I'm no Mod, but I notice that no one else bothered to inform people who are referring solely to this thread (and I know there are quite a few of you out there ;)).

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I just got home from work, I figured this would be waiting for me. The name FF-UK has nothing to do with why I took the banner down. The catch phrase on the banner is why I took the banner down.

"We couldn't give a xxxx for anything else!"

That is why the banner was taken down. It has nothing to do to with the problems that have been going on in th British Isles. And I did discuss this with another mod before I did, strawbarry. We were going forum by forum, thread byu thread trying to clean up the horrible language you people use in those forums. We decided that the banner was an extension of that.

I have no problem putting the banner back up, but only without the catch phrase.

25. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    Huh?

That "rude and vulgar" catchphrase is an ADVERT SLOGAN in England for the lager "Castlemaine XXXX".

I suggest that to come bursting into the UK forum with no idea about what is being "culturally referenced" is ridiculous.

OK, does that mean Alphawolf can go round editing peoples posts in the US FF Threads cause someone mentions "fanny".

Cause that may mean "bum" to you.

But it's much ruder to us.

So, I humbly suggest that, since the "I can't believe it's not FFUK" guys are making an new banner, (that I hope impinges no AMERICAN sensibilities), you go and apologise to them for your misunderstanding.

Thanking you in advance,

UKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.