main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is Rox, and why has he stolen our banner?

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by toochilled, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Way to go, Cole! :D

I don't post at the FFUK, but I think Rox should have at least asked before taking it down. [face_plain]

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    "That "rude and vulgar" catchphrase is an ADVERT SLOGAN in England for the lager "Castlemaine XXXX".

I suggest that to come bursting into the UK forum with no idea about what is being "culturally referenced" is ridiculous."

I may be a advert slogan but it is still unexceptable. We have rules here for a reason, I'm just the first to go through with enforcing it. The fact that these boards are family friendly in nature is why the advert slogan is not acceptable. Yes it may be a widely used ad campaign but that doesn't mean it is family friendly.

I will agree with everyone that some words mean different things to different cultures. The whole point of that ad campaign was to push the line on how far you can go in advertising. It's what all good advertisers do.

3. winky32

winky32 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    Rox, you're a frikkin gimp.

Thanks for ruining our home with your prim sensibilities and small (but bloody) minded attitude.

4. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Hay Winky, it's a nice chance to redecorate the place.

Why don't you pop over to the forum and put in a design for the new banner? There are some interesting designs - including one based on the Carlsberg adverts which is in keeping with the tradition of beer slogans.

5. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    The UK boards needed a clean start and now we will have one. People should think of the positive side of having the banner taken down rather than just the negative.

6. winky32

winky32 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    thanks for the offer charis :) but I just popped in to see where all this had gotten to now.

I don't think I will be coming back to the UK boards now, everone has moved on. It's a good opportunity for you guys to start something fresh though :)

7. Charis

Jun 29, 2002
    Thanks Winky

I think it's a shame about the banner too, but a new start would be good. Hope you find somewhere else you can call home :)

Pay us a visit from time to time. Yoshi's is always open.

8. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Last point on a dead subject.

"but it is still unexceptable."

No, it's not. That advert was shown at anytime to any audience with no restrictions.

"The actual dialogue was spoken as "...doesn't give a Four X about anything else".

This is not the JC Proper, where there are an amporphous set of posters of indistinct nationality. Anywhere you encourage members of the same culture to gather you will find that they will inevitably be talking and referencing there lives and Media/Society/Advertising around them.

Because you take it out of context, (as you don't know the context), and then judge it "non-family" friendly is, to be fair, ridiculous.

An over the top extreme example would be, would you go into a Pakistan Fanforce Forum and trample over their Culture with your American/Christian Sensibilities?

A British MOD should have made the judgement on it, and whether in terms of the climate of British Standards it was wrong.

Now, it could be said that the FFUK Forum was for months "too adult" in daily content, but you pick the only target that is so mild that it could appear in any film/book/TV without restriction!

Congratulations, you have performed a completely pointless moderating act.

UKS

9. Charis

Jun 29, 2002
    UKS

It's time to call it a day and let Rox get on with other things. It's done and debating how it was done and why it was done cannot undo it. There have been enough posts both on here and on the British Isles forum on the subject.

Perhaps this thread should be locked please.

10. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    "It's done and debating how it was done and why it was done cannot undo it. "

No, that's completely the wrong attitude to take.

We don't want it undone. But it would be nice to have "procedures" put in place so this thing DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN.

Allow regional mods to mod.

And I believe that maybe Rox owes an apology to the forum.

That's when it is at an end.

UKS

11. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Rox is actually allowed to come in and do what he has done we may not like it but it is allowed. Even if Rox hadn't the people who have left have taken the banner anyway and probably would have so it doesn't make much of a difference we would not have a banner either way.

12. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I would say that Rox is not allowed to do what he did. Discussing with one mod, rather then polling in the mod forum (ofh) is very bad practice.
    Additionally I swould propose that such a sudden and unwelcome / unfriendly move is very un-family friendly....

13. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Sorry, I don't believe he owes anyone an apology for removing that.

Regardless of what the in-joke may be about that banner, anyone who looks at it without knowing the in-joke sees it as a hidden swear word.
    (That probably what the advertizing company was going for as well.)

If it's an alcohol advertizement, well we could go there too about promoting alcohol, which this board also frowns upon.

And as far as copyright information goes, the creator of the banner owns that image. Someone else may own the original images, and someone else may own the copyright to names used, but the creator owns the modified image. In my digital arts classes, they had articles talking about that the total image must be 50% changed from the original to make it a new original.

The creator of the banner may be in violation of copyright laws, but that doesn't say that TF.N has rights to use it if the creator asks that it be removed.

Noone signs any paperwork giving their copyrights away when they submit to TF.N

Now if you want to take that image and modify it for your own use... you would have just as much right as the original creator did.

Don't worry about the fanny thing. Nobody says that anymore unless they are talking about Fanny Brice.

14. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    ''Don't worry about the fanny thing. ''

In that case, I submit the following:

Don't worry about the XXXX thing.

Thankyou.

15. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I think there need to be some form of guidelines set up here. There definately needs to be some cultural understanding of the board.

As a Brit I accept that somethings said on an American board mean rude things to my British ears but that is down to a difference of understanding of the terms and words.

The key point here is that Fan Force is a set of communities. These communities are going to have different cultural reference points and "in jokes" even close cultures such as the US and UK. We therefore must accept that sometimes we will have misunderstandings and when this happens the local or regional mod should have a large input in to any decision made. It cannot be right for mods to "Americanise" a culturally different board beyond the legal obligations of having an American server resctricted by US laws.

However, I think it's time to move on. Let's get a new banner and icon and let things settle down.

16. paparazziboy

paparazziboy Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2001
    These communities are going to have different cultural reference points and "in jokes" even close cultures such as the US and UK.

That's right. otherwise we would all think that americans are rude and arrogant, whereas, because we have open minds and not so insular in the UK, we know it is just your naievity and small mindedness.

17. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    That's right. Otherwise we would all think that Americans are rude and arrogant, whereas, because we have open minds and not so insular in the UK, we know it is just your naivety and small mindedness.

Oh, yes, that's the way to win this argument, by making sweeping judgmental statements against the majority of people that post on the board (and who own these boards, btw). While I am sympathetic your situation, such comments don't help. Let's stay on the high road and keep it civil, m'kay?

In general, I agree with Darth_Asabrush, Fan Force groups are communities, more so than other 'communities' on this board. Taking away the banner without even a consultation, warning or chance to change it violates the whole spirit of the Fan Force structure, IMHO. Why should I or anyone else bother spending time here and building a local identity or community, when that identity can spontaneously altered?

It is just a banner, yes, and as has been stated on these boards numerous times, these are private boards, and we must abide by the rules set out by those that run them. However, I would hope that Fan Force Management would recognize the special communities they have worked so hard to build and foster, and would give those communities the respect they deserve.

~H~

18. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    "I would hope that Fan Force Management would recognize the special communities they have worked so hard to build and foster, and would give those communities the respect they deserve."

I do, but the banner has been getting complaints for months. I didn't ask any of you for one simple reason. You are not affiliated with the group that made that banner. They left and started thier own website and message board. Now if that banner was for your group then I would have sent your CR a PM about it and had her tell you about it coming down. My point is start your own community and get a fresh start.

19. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

Err.. toochilled is one of the mods at FFUK Forums.

Anyway, no one wants the Banner back. They just want your assurance that next time you "Mod" them/us, you will do it with a little more repect and tact, and maybe, you could admit that the reasoning behind the banner being removed could have been a little flawed via your own expectations.

Reasonable?

UKS

20. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I do, but the banner has been getting complaints for months.

It has? No one said anything to me. ?[face_plain]

Err.. toochilled is one of the mods at FFUK Forums.

He is? ?[face_plain]

21. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Whats done is done.

The FFUK group have taken their intellectual property, which is their right and used it on their own forum.

Here at FF British Isles we are in the process of creating a new banner. I hope that the posters in this forum can help us to create a new and representative banner.

Thanks.

22. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

Sorry CA, Toochilled made a comment to me on the FFUK Boards about banning and I saw him talk about bandwidth costs.

I just assumed.

So get back there and get someone to mod him to stop me looking silly!

:p

UKS

23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    My actions were rushed, I admit that. If I would have said something in advance none of this would have happened I'm sure. This topic is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.