main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the best developed character in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by dolphin, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    It has to be:

1. Anakin/Vader...no question. Small boy to evil monster redeemed at the end by his son.

2. Luke...of course. Whiny teen to a courageous warrior to an enlightened Jedi.

3. Obi-Wan...from serious padawan, to Jedi Master of the most powerful Jedi, Anakin to wise old Jedi who ignites the spark of the Force in Luke...who saves the galaxy (with his father).

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Anakin Skywalker

3. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Anakin all the way! :cool:

4. 103728103

103728103 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2003
    Luke Skywalker is without a doubt the best developed character so far. From a simple farmer he transformed (in 3 episodes) into a Jedi Knight who could use the force choke(or what you like to call it) against 2 guards(who resemble miss piggy) of Jabba the Hutt and throw away his lightsaber in front of the Emperor!! plus we was able to withstand the harsh training of Yoda.

5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I would have to say C3PO & R2. They are the only charaters that have had content with all the important charaters in the saga.

6. RoseBlue

RoseBlue Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2003
    It has to be Anakin in my opinion since it is his story. He is the main character. Following closely is Luke. He is the main character of the OT, Anakin is the main for the PT.

7. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    1) Obi-Wan Kenobi
    2) Luke
    3) Anakin

8. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    same thing below.

9. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    I would say Luke. Its possible we will see him in III as a baby. And then from a young farmboy to the baddest dude in the galaxy. He comes a long way. I don't think that Anakin was as well developed because one movie he was a nice little kid and the next it seems to me he did a total 180. You don't see him change so much because he already is pretty mean at the start of Ep. II. With luke you can really see an internal struggle really well.

10. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/anakinskywalker/img/movie4_bg.jpg]

Anakin Skywalker. I say this because this is his story.

11. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yoda because in TPM he was more of a by the book Jedi master that saw things in black and white. In AotC Yoda's black and white views are shattered and he is called into action. He fails and learns from his lessons. In this film he saves Obi wan and Anakin but not sacrificing them lets the evil live on another day. In ESB he teaches these lessons he learns to Luke. AotC also gives us insight as to why Yoda was so hesitant to teach Luke and also why he eventually gives into training him.

"and sacrifice Han and Leia?"

"if you honor what they fight for...yes."

We're getting to see Yoda grow and change.

12. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    Anakin Skywalker. I say this because this is his story.

I loathe this line.

I so wish GL had never uttered those words.

13. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Personally, I feel that Luke Skywalker was the most developed. You saw him grow up for a naive, innocent farm-boy into the greatest hero of the galaxy, redeemed his father and helped defeat the ultimate evil in the world. Emotionally, you saw a great transition from his lighthearted person in ANH to his serious, understanding persona in ROTJ.

I think Luke's development can't be questioned, because we haven't seen all of Anakin's development. However, Luke has such great passion, emotions and feelings, along with personality that it allows him to be the most developed character in SW so far.

14. Master_Akwat_Kbrana

Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    1. Luke Skywalker
    2. Han Solo
    3. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Despite what George Lucas says, I haven't seen the Star Wsrs saga as Anakin's story at all. So far, I've seen the PT as Obi-Wan's story, and the OT as Luke's story...

15. Its_A_Trap

Its_A_Trap Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2003
    R2-D2, see because if he didn't save the Queen in TPM, Qui-Gon wouldn't have found Anakin, Anakin wouldn't have found "His Girl", so they would not have had twins and stuff like that.

there would be no SW movies if it weren't fer R2-D2.

[face_love] Thank you R2 [face_love]

16. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    But they aren't developed in the least, their characters stay the same throughout

Ep. 1 - annoying but helpful robots, used for comic relief

Ep. 2 - annoying but helpful robots, used for comic relief

Ep. 4 - annoying but helpful robots, used for comic relief

Ep. 5 - annoying but... well you get the idea

17. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    I fail to see how Anakin is the best developed character.

If someone could please explain?

18. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    It was all Anakin's story in the OT as Well...

19. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    The focus in the old trilogy is on Luke. He goes through changes in every single film.

ANH:
    Naive farmboy.
    Enraged orphan.
    Eager Jedi Apprentice.
    Orphaned Jedi Apprentice.
    Rebel Pilot.

ESB:
    Rebel Officer.
    Jedi Apprentice once again.
    Jedi Apprentice matured by confrontation with Darth Vader.

ROTJ:
    Jedi Apprentice with advanced powers, almost a Jedi Knight.

Vader, on the other hand, is Palpatine's lacky throughout, until the tail end of ROTJ. He tried to recruit Luke, but he's still firmly within the grip of the Dark Side. ROTJ is the only film that deals with his redemption, and only then in the second half. That's hardly enough to call him the central character. He was never designed to be the main character of the OT, and he never will be. Luke has the OT, Anakin the PT. Leia has the OT, Padme has the PT. Three films to a character.

20. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    Yes but Luke was good throughout the entire OT, there was never a conflict in him to go against what he intended to do, which was always to save his friends and help the alliacne

Vader on the other hand, starts out as the head hancho of the Empire (next to palps) and in ESB his conflict begins. He realizes that there is someone out there who cares for him and begins to question all that he has done with his life for that last 20 years

And in ROTJ he redeems himself by letting the light back in and killing Palpatine. He goes from being the most feared man in the galaxy to redeemed hero

21. James_Skywalker

James_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2003
    Darth Maul or Shall I say Lord Maul: Deadly Apprentice lol
    he has the cool tattoos and he takes no ***T
    from no one and hes got the horns to prove it

22. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    Luke's development is far better than Anakin's.

If Amidala's story hadn't been cut down during AotC, I think she would be on the same par as Luke.

23. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Luke Skywalker

From farmboy dreamer to mature Jedi Knight.
    He goes through a lot as others in this thread have pointed out.

And it all happens ON SCREEN.

Anakin changes too, but so far his character has mostly developed in between movies, OFF SCREEN. Only in ROTJ there was some real development on screen.
    In AOTC some stuff happens to him, but there isn't much change in his character. Not on screen anyway.

I think that Luke is the BEST developed character. Anakin may be the most developed in the entire saga, but not the best in my opinion.

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    IT'S LUKE.

no question IMO. He's such a great character, he's so easy to relate to in ANH, he struggles thru so much in ESB and in ROJ proves himself the greatest of all heroes. Plus -- Mark Hamill's performance is spot-on all the way through.

Anakin could've been even more interesting, but his character is hampered by a poor acting job by jake lloyd and a dramatically weak script(TPM). Haydn Christensen is a lot better but he's no Mark Hamill

gez

25. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    I think that Luke is the BEST developed character. Anakin may be the most developed in the entire saga, but not the best in my opinion.

Alright I can respect that even if I still disagree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.