main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the greatest modern fantasy author?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 24, 2002.

?

Who is the greatest modern fantasy author?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire)

3.9%
  2. J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings)

59.3%
  3. Neil Gaiman (Sandman)

1.0%
  4. Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time)

4.3%
  5. Matthew Woodring Stover (Heroes Die)

1.6%
  6. Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

1.6%
  7. Terry Pratchet (Discworld)

3.0%
  8. David Eddings (The Belgariad)

2.6%
  9. Terry Goodkind (The Sword of Truth)

1.6%
  10. Other (some other book or series)

21.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Tolkien.

2. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Tolkien?!? We hates it, we hates it!!!!!!

Really, am I the only one who just couldn't read LotR? It was just so boring.... I dreaded reading it. Eventually I just stopped when I realized I wasn't having fun. Oh well, I'm content with the movies.

3. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Tolkien

He's rather good, if I might say so myself :D .

_PSK_

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I had to put other- I love Stephen Lawhead- his "Song of Albion" series is just brilliant reading. And his take on the King Arthur legend is refreshing to read. He's an Oxford scholar who pours historical accuracy into his books without bogging them down with details.

He's a wonderful writer! :)

5. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    Tolkien - most writers after him have copied him.

6. handzik

handzik Jedi Master star 5

Aug 20, 2002
    I voted Terry Pratchett

Ornen: I agree completely, the only reason I finished LOTR was because I always finish what I start reading. But it was torture, with every page I prayed for the boredom to end. It didn't 'til the last page.

7. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    I voted "other". I like Raymond E. Feist author of the Riftwar saga, and helped to write another saga (Servant/Daughter/and Mistress of the Empire) with Janny Wurts.

8. Bant428

Bant428 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    Card, by far. Not only for "Ender's Game" but "Songmaster", "Seventh Son", "Wyrms", "Pastwatch" and "Lost Boys". That's not including the Ender cycle, which include "Ender's Shadow", "Shadow of the Hegemon" and "Shadow Puppets". His words are beautiful and appeal to all -- "Ender's Game" is one of the few books on my high school's Required Reading list that everyone enjoys.

9. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Tolkien of course, he created something amazing.

I would say that Stephen R. Lawhead would rank as my second favourite author, I'm reading Byzantium at the moment and it is just amazing. Any of you who love historical fantasy fiction, go and find his books! They are amazing!

Many of the other authors listed in this thread I am yet to check out, but I do indeed to.

10. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    I haven't read the works of everyone on your list, but judging from the criticism given to the authors whose works I have not read, Tolkien does not even deserve to be recognized on this list, much less considered a real author.

If you give a pipe-smoking, British monkey a typewriter...

Anywho, Robert Jordan has created an entire world and filled it with real characters, so he gets a thumbs-up from me.

GRR Martin, however, has crafted some incredible works, and also is tugging for my vote.

BTW, where is JK Rowling? You have left off probably the most influential modern fantasy writer, alive or dead.

11. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I have read LOTR, but it bored me almost to tears. I'll watch the movies instead.

Pratchett is one of my favourite authors, but I'll have to go with David Eddings. All the Tolkienites (and haters) out there should read Mr. Eddings' novels. He actually bothers with character development, the plots are exciting and intense and he's pretty funny while he's at it, too.

Tolkien might have started the ball rolling, but others have picked it up and run with it.

Oh, and JKR deserves a mention :D

12. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    why did you leave out R.A. Slavatore, possibly the greatest Fantasy author of our era after J.R.R. Tolkien, and maybe that would be debateable. Read the Dark Elf Trilogy and you will be instantly hooked on the Forgotten Realms saga, and ask anyone about Drizzt D'ourden of D'aermon N'shazzerbon and they will tell you he is the most beloved fantasy character of all time making Frodo look like a puddy cat

13. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    Yet another thread that makes me lose faith in humanity,

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    spring_warm,

You said it.

15. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Tolkien

16. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    Sometimes i think these forums suck whatever life is in me right out,

it's like when you hear idiot 13 year olds saying how boring shakespeare is, sigh

17. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Like, Tolkien, man. No one else comes close, except maybe H.P Lovecraft.

18. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Tolkien is modern?

Tough choice, but I picked Tad Williams, primarily for his Otherland series. Fantastic books.

19. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I just started reading George RR Martin's A song of Ice and Fire.... they are MOST enjoyable. I just picked up the third one today, i am sure I'll be done with it in a week or maybe two at the msomost :)

20. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    I would have voted for Tolkien, but the poll asks about "modern" fantasy authors and last time I checked Tolkien was listed in the "late" category.

If we looked at the non-late category, I would think that Michael Crighton would be one of the top picks. After all he is the author of such titles as the Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park and Airframe and the originator of E.R.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Bob Salvatore or Mike Stackpole

22. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Sara Douglass (The Wayfarer Redemption)

EDIT:

Sorry, I just have to remark on something 6-6-6 said...

Anywho, Robert Jordan has created an entire world and filled it with real characters

Ahem, I couldn't even finish the book because it disgusted me. Jordan copied Tolkien! Did anyone other than me see the similarities in Tolkien and Jordan?

23. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I'd say Tolkien, though I think I liked the movies more ...

though the Shannara series is cool too :)

24. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    The only reason I picked Pratchett over Tolkien...is because he's still alive...(hence my rationale for being "modern")

25. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    R.A. Salvatore. Tolkien is a close second, but his books were too slow half the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.