main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the Hero- Luke or Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I kind of see this in an Arthurian Legend kind of way (since the saga is somewhat based on the same principles). In this sense, I believe Anakin is our enduring hero who has to come through many trials to finally accomplish our goal; in esscence, he's our Arthur. However, some fellow writers and I at academic camp this summer were discussing the Legend of Arthur and how, though it is Arthur who ultimately accomplishes things, he would never have been able to do any of it without his wise, sometimes slightly shady, and ultimately much more interesting mentor; Obi-Wan is our Merlin.

It's always been my opinion since even before the PT's that Anakin was the hero, but that he wouldn't have been if not for Obi-Wan. I think Obi-Wan's a more interesting character, personally, and also a hero in his own right. Arguably, he's the hero of his own part of the saga, but it's goal being somewhat different than Anakin's because his role is to aide Anakin. He triumph heroically in the end after much hardship, and Anakin accomplishes his goal of bringing balance to the Force. So to me, they are both the simultaneous heros of their inter-related tasks within the saga.

As for Luke, well, I have to admit I'm personally biased against Luke because I never cared for him even as a child. I didn't ever look up to him as a kind of hero figure because I found him too whiny :p But in all seriousness, he does play a part in the Saga which is essential, but he himself is not really the overall hero. He's the means by which Obi-Wan finally is able to abet Anakin in fulfilling his role as the Chosen One, and for that he's certainly a hero. But he's not really the hero overall if you know what I'm saying.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Solojones, are you suggesting that Luke , in metaphorical terms, was just the sword Obi-Wan used to smite the dragon (Vader) ?

Luke may have been dull, but at least he learned to get over himself and do the right thing, which is something Anakin only managed at the end. Luke taught his father how to be a man. He didn?t murder kids either. Mind you, who would want to be Luke? He French-kissed his sister and had his hand cut off by his father. And they call Anakin a tragic hero. Yeesh!

Anakin is IMO a hero in the Greek mythological tradition such as Achilles. He does amazing things beyond the abilities of mere mortal man, but has terrible flaws of character which lead to tragedy. He?s not a role model, he?s an object lesson. Don?t be too proud, don?t give in to anger, don?t secretly marry hot politicians because they look good in white spandex.

Having said that, Obi-Wan is much the best character. He?s just so cool.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I never said Anakin was a great person to admire necessarily, but he's definitely the overall tragic hero of the story. And yes to what you said about Obi-Wan and swords and dragons. That's exactly what I meant, of course ;)

But you're right, of course, Obi-Wan's still the most interesting character ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. XxRenzokukenxX

XxRenzokukenxX Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    As much as I hate Anakin, and semi-dislike Luke...

Even though I do not wish it to be so, Anakin IS the main point AND hero of the saga. The PT is about his falling to the dark side, and the OT is about him being redeemed by his son...Luke only helps Anakin bring balance...Anakin is the one to do it.

*Just for the record...Obi-Wan should be the hero of the saga...he is after all the centerpiece in the whole thing.

5. XxRenzokukenxX

XxRenzokukenxX Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    As much as I hate Anakin, and semi-dislike Luke...

Even though I do not wish it to be so, Anakin IS the main point AND hero of the saga. The PT is about his falling to the dark side, and the OT is about him being redeemed by his son...Luke only helps Anakin bring balance...Anakin is the one to do it.

*Just for the record...Obi-Wan should be the hero of the saga...he is after all the centerpiece in the whole thing.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well what I was saying is that both Anakin and Obi-Wan are really heros of their own parts of the saga, which fit together to make the whole ultimate saga and the same goal. But you can't have either of their stories without the other.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    I have to agree that they both are in thier own way........

Before the Prequals came out, I believe most peopel saw it simply as a story revolving around Luke Skywalker, him, simply being the hero of the story, no real big questions asked. He saved the galaxy as well as his father, turning him back to the lightside.

But......

Now with the prequals, in my eyes it sort of makes the ENTIRE saga, the story about Anakin Skywalker. It surrounds him, his life, his turn and his redemption. Thus putting Anakin in the role as the hero instead of his son. Using his son Luke now more as just a helper in pushing him to his redemption, making him the hero in the end of ROTJ.

So I guess it depends on how you look at it. It can be either.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I know some people who were always interested in Anakin. Personally, I didn't like Luke so I hated thinking it was about Luke. Obi-Wan was my favourite character along with Han, but I couldn't really argue validly that either of them is the center of the OT :p However, seeing the whole thing as one saga is much more meaningful for Anakin and Obi-Wan's stories.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    I believe it is the story of Anakin's Skywalker : his rise, his fall and his redemption to the hands of his son.

10. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    the real hero is obi wan. even when he fails he never gives up even in death he stics with luke guiding him. obi wan is tru to his word and dispite his own reservations trains anakin. only he even as his father figure is the only one who sees anakins weakness. he is also the one who sees his strengths. but is reluctant to share it because it gives anakin a big head. obi wan is dedicated to helping luke. he stays hidden in the middle of nowhere living like a hermit to protect a kid who thinks he's just some crazy old man.
    anakin cannot be the hero because of all the evil he does along the way. he is redeemed at the end but mabey too late. luke at least saves his friends redeems his father saves his sister and stands up to the most powerful man in the galaxy. pretty heroic stuff. but could not have done any with out obi.

11. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Well, many of the truths we cling to depend on our point of view. Here's mine.
    Obi-wan isn't really a hero, he is more of a mentor, and he does only what is given him to accomplish. (Though it's very heroic). He failed with Vader and must redeem himself through Luke.
    In a simple sense, Luke would be the hero-he wins the battles, and good triumphs over evil because of him. But he is always seen as the "kid", he doesn't fully know the darkness in the galaxy.
    Anakin, on the other hand, does. And for awhile, he uses it for great evil. But at the end, he DOES renounce it and bring balance to the force, as should have happened all along. It's never too late to turn back.

And after all, they're only pawns in this galactic game of chess.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You're right that in the classic sense Obi-Wan isn't the hero of the saga, but I believe he's the most essential character in the story of Anakin Skywalker. And sure he's Luke's mentor, but that in and of itself is very heroic.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.