main
side
curve

JCC Who is the scariest Disney villain?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SateleNovelist11, Dec 3, 2022.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think if we were to list all of them, it would take too long. Plus, we can't fit all of them on here. I believe there's a good case to put Jafar on this list, but Jafar was so cartoonish that he never registered with me. Don't get me wrong. He's a terrible guy and all who definitely deserves life in prison according to real-world laws. But here's my list:

1. Claude Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame), given how he treats Quasimodo, Esmeralda, and Phoebus, as well as his genocidal desire to wipe out the Romani folks in Paris.

2. Anna and Elsa's grandfather, Runeard (from Frozen II). Don't really need to explain why. He was genocidal toward the Sami folks in Norway. I'm glad that Anna and Elsa were able to help both the Sami folks and the people in their hometown.

3. Hans (Frozen I). I don't need to explain why. He was just a couple of steps from turning into Anna and Elsa's granddad as a ruler. I'm glad that Anna and Elsa defeated him.

4. Lady Tremaine (from Cinderella and Cinderella III). While I know there are many reasons to put Jafar, Radcliffe, Ursula, Gaston, Hades, and Maleficent on this list, Tremaine was always frightening to me as a kid. On a more positive note...
    I'm glad her daughter, Anastasia, helps to stand up for Cinderella and the Prince in the third film. She actually proves herself to be a nice person.

I chose these four on my list because they are the most realistic. I love the Disney protagonists, but the villains are all pretty terrifying, to say the least. I can see why some people compare them to Palpatine.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    the phaeroaeh in the prince of egypt

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager/Taking Vocabulary Class star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The only time I've ever screamed while watching a Disney movie was during Cruella's crazy eyes during the final chase in 101 Dalmatians so I'll go with her.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The executives.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Death Coach in Darby O’Gill and the Little People

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As a boy I was very deeply disturbed by Ursula in the Little Mermaid.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    The answer is always Shere Khan.

It’s also always the answer to who was the coolest Disney villain

I can’t say I’ve ever truly been scared by a Disney villain, but for some reason those brooms in Fantasia used to weird me out.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Kahn was cool and sinister, but I never felt fear or personal threat from him.

VergeresTears likes this.
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    How do you feel about Ursula now?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Also so Ursula release ink?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I totally agree. No fear or threat. I had TV in the U.K. in the 80’s - which is literally the Octagon of nightmare fuel. You survive that, you can survive anything.

Anyone remember Worzel Gummage? A scarecrow that would pull his own head off. Well he made his own Scarecrow one episode. That scarecrow’s name was Dafthead. Now that ****** was scary.

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 6

Apr 25, 2004
    Think I'll go with Ursula.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent No One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, I was never truly scared of any Disney villain but I think it's one of these two and in these moments:

14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    John Smith from Pocahontas. Don't really need to explain why.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    The Horned King, what with the skull face, the undead army, the fact that you’re having to sit through The Black Cauldron…

Although to be honest the only moment in a Disney thing that scared me as a kid was when Pete lights up his cigar in the Christmas Carol adaptation and pushes Scrooge into his grave.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Chernabog isn't scary, Chernabog is awesome

17. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I think the first Disney film I saw was Snow White. This was back in the 1970s pre-home video days when Disney films would only get rereleased in theatres every few years, so the scary moments were even scarier in that setting. I remember the queen from Snow White really scaring me--in both her forms, but especially when she was the old witch.

I was very frightened by Chernabog. And even though he wasn't a "villain," I also remember being scared of Yen Sid, the sorcerer in The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment (and like Punk, I also remember that the brooms were kind of disturbing)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Frollo is certainly the most evil. - Rape and Genocide don't make for family viewing.

Ghost likes this.
  19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the first time that I was ever simultaneously scared and yet intrigued enough to keep watching in spite of it (as opposed to scared and just stopped watching) was Ratigan’s rampage at the end of The Great Mouse Detective. Little me was enjoying how fun and competitive Ratigan was throughout the rest of the movie, so seeing him suddenly drop all of that for just pure, murderous venom and brutality without even any taunting was startling. I even used to think as a child that Ratigan had turned into a bat thanks to his torn cloak vanishing shirt!… But I also couldn’t stop watching because for once, the scary stuff acted as a dramatic element for the conflict I was more interested in, rather than a turn off.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love The Great Mouse Detective, and the climax is pure nightmare fuel.

21. mnjedi

mnjedi Force Ghost star 5

Nov 4, 2012
    Walts frozen head.

Pensivia likes this.
  22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The rat in lady and the tramp was the only Disney villain that scared me and that I didn’t directly aspire to be

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Declining or stagnating stock price.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 8

Oct 4, 1998
    Definitely the demon of Bald Mountain. That's got shades of Tolkien's Morgoth and Nazgul. And now I'm wondering if JRRT watched Fantasia. It was released just 3 years after The Hobbit was published, so it may have been in his mind as he was writing LotR and refining The Silmarillion.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Jul 13, 2008
    Have you… have you read what Tolkien thought of Disney? The dude hated Snow White so much he gave specific instructions to never let Disney acquire the rights to anything he wrote.