main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Who is the scariest Disney villain?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SateleNovelist11, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame has not seen the widespread reappraisal that it deserves.

Possibly bc of those ****ing gargoyles.

AutumnLight91 and grd4 like this.
  2. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Yeah, the poisoning scene may very well have been the first dose of childhood nightmare fuel. And I'll be damned it that isn't the best staged-villain death in film, right down to the muted coda wherein the vulture bears silent witness, before swooping down to feast on her remains.

(As an aside:I know there's a no-Star-Wars edict in this forum, but I do wonder whether the Old Witch was the primary inspiration for the Emperor we see in ROTJ. They're practically the same character.)

3. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The gargoyles never bothered me. I mean, in the end it's a Disney movie; amid all the weighty matters of alienation, persecution, rape and ethnic cleansing, you have to throw folks a life raft.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The Top 10:

10. Shere Khan - He's why I won't go in the jungle.
    9. Mad Madame Mim - Clever, insane, and unapologetically evil.
    8. Sykes and his dogs - He's why I won't go in the city.
    7. Ratigan - He's why I dislike vermin.
    6. Cruella de Vil - She's the reason I hate fur fashion.
    5. The Evil Queen - Transforming witch, murderer...for what? Vanity?
    4. The Horned King - The scariest, by far, in appearance.
    3. Ursula - She's why I won't go in the ocean....and Jaws.
    2. Stromboli - For someone who's job is entertaining children, he's TERRIFYING to kids.
    1. Maleficent - Army of monsters, has nasty cursing spells, and turns into the scariest dragon ever put on film (I challenge anyone to name a scarier dragon on screen. Only one that comes close is Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragonslayer.)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Frollo is more disturbing than scary, especially once you're an adult and realize how much of a pervert he was and how far he'll go to purge what he sees as evil.

The Evil Queen from Snow White was scary when I was a kid in her corrupted old lady form.

Maleficent is definitely the best, the animated version though not the Angelina Jolie stuff

I didn't like the guy in Pinocchio who takes the boys to the theme park where they turn into donkeys, he had crazy eyes & a demonic grin

The rest aren't really scary, but there are lots of great villains - Jafar, Cruella, Captain Hook, Gaston, Scar, Hades, Ursula, Professor Ratigan, Mad Madam Mim

6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    He’s also the only human character to have four fingers on each hand instead of five… and they never explain how he does the things he does…

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Little known fact. Quasimodo, the titular hunchback, is not the villain in the hunchback of Notre Dame.

8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Ichabod Crane, The Headless Horsemen

9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That terrified me as a kid. I think that played with The Adventures of Mr. Toad.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's one film. And it is a masterpiece. Even the soothing voice of Bing Crosby couldn't alleviate the sense of dread the animators put into the Sleepy Hollow portion.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    It’s so good,

Now a factual bit of Hunchback trivia. Notre Dame Cathedrial was in such bad disrepair it was essentially closed down and most likely was within a generation of being demolished when Victor Hugo’s book was released.

As if overnight interest in a the failing religious space surged and it soon had no problems finding the funds for repaired and made active again.

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Edgar the Butler was definitely not...scary. ;)

godisawesome likes this.
  13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    How about he ventriloquist puppets in toy story four?

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah these two are good.

Plus

While Scar and Ursula are awesome, they kind of become boring once they win. Jafar keeps it interesting.

And these other 3 (Frollo, Maleficent, Chernabog) are straight-up satanic.

Snow White's Evil Queen, Cinderella's Stepmom, and Cruella De Vil are definitely up there too.

15. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    The banshee scared me so much I struggled to sleep for years after seeing the movie the first (and only) time. Still makes me feel icky.

16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Great movie if you ever get the nerve to see it again. Be sure to find the original audio version not the later dubbed version where the actors are revolved with less Irish accents.

17. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I'd probably watch it and realize the banshee was nothing. :p But what if I get scared and am haunted again??? :_|

18. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Shelf of Shame Winner star 6

Sep 4, 2021
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Who has a crush on evil red Jasmin?

Who would rather go on a date with evil red clothes Jasmin than goody goody blue clothes Jasmin?

I was at a Halloween party when this idea first formed,

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What evil red Jasmine? When was this ever a plot point?

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Very strange. It's quite clearly there in the film, but I was honestly expecting you to pull out something from an Aladdin 5 Direct-to-video release or something. I've forgotten quite a bit of that film.

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    As a child, Ursula and Malificent scared me the most, probably due to their supernatural appearances and abilities. Nowadays, Gaston and Prince John are probably more terrifying, because there are actual villains in the world who are just like them. [​IMG]

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Aladdin had two of the best sequels in Disney's direct-to-video era.

Disney will likely pretend this never happened, just like they try to ignore all reference to Slave Leia.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Ghost likes this.
  25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I can see why. The scariest Ursula moments for me entailed her transformation into Vanessa, and her growing and size growth to that massive size.

I also believe that Ursula and Hades have more in common than most realize. House of Mouse did a good job of pairing Hades and Maleficent, since they are the most powerful Disney villains after Chernabog. Well, some would say they are more powerful than Chernaborg, but I understand the argument that Chernaborg actually is the most powerful.

"You know, I appreciate a man with a fiery disposition. It brings out the dragon in me."
    - Maleficent, to Hades

However, Hades' personality is more like Ursula's. They are both jealous of their siblings. That is, if you accept the deleted element of Ursula being Triton's sister, her behavior makes a bit more sense from her perspective. By that logic, you root for Ariel and Hercules more.

At any rate, I will say that as a kid, Sebastian was my favorite character in The Little Mermaid, whereas Eric is as an adult. In contrast, Meg was always my favorite character in Hercules.

Dagobahsystem likes this.