main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the spy? (Battle Surgeons spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Raven, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Who is the spy?

First, some assumptions: the spy is a character that has been given a name so far in Battle Surgeons, less than two months pass between chapter three and chapter seven, and the spy did not apparently die Battle Surgeons.

What are our clues?
    A) ?The spy had been on this miserable mudhole of a planet for more than two standard months.?
    B) ?The spy missed home with an unnerving desperation. The mild weather, the ocean breezes, the subtle scents of the fern tree.?
    C) ?The position in the chain of command was high enough that almost every piece of important data coming through could be evaluated.?
    D) The spy has ?a large impressive desk.?
    E) The spy has two code names: Column and Lens.
    F) The spy was apparently on the same transport out as Zan and Jos.
    G) A kind of kinship exists between the species of the spy and the Nediji ? and the spy knows a Nediji blessing.
    There are definitely more, but those were some that I dug out on my first pass.

He/she is not I-Five, as I-Five arrived after the first spy POV chapter. He/she is not Zan, as Zan is dead. He/she was probably not Den, as Den seems to arrived to late to be the spy if the spy has been on-world for two months. The spy is not Barriss (yes Ewok, I?m looking at you). He/she is probably not Jos. The large impressive desk probably rules out Tolk.

Who does that leave among the dramatis personae? My initial suspicion was on Den, as a Column is a newspaper term and a Lens is something a camera has, both journalistic things. When asked about Dooku early on, he says that he disagrees with some of his methods. On page 94, he decides that a villain is needed, and it?s around that time that Phow Ji started getting villainized. But it?s hard to figure out the kinship between a Sullustian and a member of a flying race, and he hasn?t been on planet long enough apparently.

So, now I?m at a bit of a loss. In lieu of an intelligent guess, I?m going to say Baloob the Ortolan bartender.

Anyone else have an idea? I'm stumped.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The empath. Troi or whatever his name was.

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Raven: yes Ewok, I?m looking at you.

I'm flattered that you thought of me, and mildly offended that you just assumed I'd be reading this... I just can't get into the Prequels... :p

Then again, perhaps this is a cunning LFL/DelRey ploy to try and interest me in the Prequel stuff, in which case I'm at once flattered, honoured, and - more to the point - amused that the ptb think I have that much influence... [face_mischief] :p [face_laugh]

And, yes, I do realise that the CW stuff is likely to be at least half-decent, and having to stay on-message and upbeat ahead of Ep. III can't be the most pleasurable experience in the world...

But, um... *shrug*? :confused: ;)

Although... out of interest, do we actually know for sure that the spy is working for Dooku? [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    There is an empath named Troi in star wars universe... :confused: [face_laugh]

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Dude, the title of this thread is a spoiler :p

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Not in the Clone Wars it's not. There are always spies in the Clone Wars stories. :p

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Remember that spy in Rogue Squadron, how we were always told of this sabotage and that betrayal . . . and how Corran solved it at the end of krytos Trap? By just reflecting to himself, pairing names to actions, all solved in a matter of sentences.

I almost chucked a ding-dilly-dill Flanders fit. You can't do that!

Let's hope it's revealed mannerly.

8. jangofett100

jangofett100 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    Klo Merit is my guess. He was the only other person mentioned to be on the transport at the end.

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Klo Merit. Yeah, that's it. Not Troi. My bad.

10. jedimasterkipdurron

jedimasterkipdurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I think it's that base commander whos name starts with a V if I remember correctly?

11. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Could be the bartender because he's mentioned being on the ship and he doesn't do much during the books.

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    My favorites guess is the bartender, but I expect it'll turn out to be someone else.

TC

13. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    I still think it's Den, as OP stated the imagery is consistent. The timing is a problem but could be easily solved, we do know he is working for Dooku as he has a different code name for Black Sun and for the Separatists.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003

He/she is not I-Five, as I-Five arrived after the first spy POV chapter.

Did he?

Remember Jos was complaining that there were no droids and then suddenly I-Five was there.

15. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I don't think it can be Den because he risked his life to get Zan's insturment. If the Sepretists were coming and I was a spy escaping on a ship I wouldn't risk my neck to save an insturment.

16. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    They wouldn't do anything as dumb as making one of the Silent (or one of the Black Sunners) the spy, would they? I hope not.

My money's on Tolk or the Ortolan. Every other non-main character only got one mention, but he got singled out.

17. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    The smart choices for espionage are Merit and Tolk. I mean, they're both limited telepaths. I go with Klo Merit.

18. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Well, the spy has been referred to as a 'he,' so that rules Tolk out...

unless... Tolk is a male Clawdite in diguise as a female human!

Now wouldn't that be a fun spin for Jos? ;)

19. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    You sure, SlackJawed? I was fairly certain that they made a point out of referring to the spy as "the spy."

Well, it's the Ortolan, Tolk, or Klo.

Say, do either of the authors post here?

20. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    It's possible that one of the POV characters could be the spy. I've been teasing the idea that it's Jos around in my head since I saw the first 'spy' POV. I don't know that there's anything to contradict it, and it would be one hell of a twist.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Say, do either of the authors post here?

Michael Reaves does, but you're out of your mind if you think he'll tell you. . .

22. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    I didn't think he'd tell me, it was just an idle question. Despite the fact my icon's been described as "looks like a jackass in a flight uniform," I'm not actually that dumb.

On a related topic, I am out of my mind.

23. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Page 56

There were days when a filter mask was a necessity, or he would strangle before he could walk to the base

Ah, nice to know that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me.

Yes, the spy seems to be a he.

24. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    I stand corrected but indignant, and I'll point out that the authors/editors could have decided that saying "it," "they," "the spy," got repetitive.

25. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I think the title of this thread is a spoiler [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.