main
side
curve

Who is the spy? (Battle Surgeons spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Raven, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    The planet description rules out Den, (Sullust is a volcano planet), as does the chain of command bit. It isn't the base commander, Vaetes, either, as the spy thinks of him in the third person. The only viable suspect introduced thus far is the horse dude, Klo. The kinship with the Nediji is probably that they both belong to the "rare species" club.

However, it's possible the authors will take the cheap route and have the spy be a character not introduced until the next installment.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Guri being designed by a rogue scientist from the Rebel's project decoy is what is stated in the novel Shadows of the Empire (published in 1996, written by Steve Perry).

We also notice that in Droids tv series (to which Lucas was the executive producer) that rebels existed as far back as 15 aby.

Rumor has it that the birth of the rebellion may be shown in episode 3, though there is nothing substantial to prove that, and I've been avoiding spoilers so I don't know if there is an truth to it, or its just wishful thinking.

If anyone is keeping track, Rebel Dawn by Crispen was published in 1998...

3. dp4m

dp4m JCC Playoff Pick 'Em Winner, Also a Narc star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't necessarily agree with this. Can't one do bad things without drawing on the Dark Side. If you are a Force user, who happens to be evil, but never actually uses the Force for a Dark purpose, would you still be of the Dark Side?

Yes; being Force-sensitive makes you automatically more susceptible to becoming Dark Side simply by act alone...

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Yes; being Force-sensitive makes you automatically more susceptible to becoming Dark Side simply by act alone...

Susceptible is thus not a definite. Being of the Dark Side and just plan bad are two different things.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Couldn't be Phow Ji, too psychopathic and portrayed as a "bad" guy from the start.

Plus, you know, the "dead" thing.

6. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Yes, but my massive intellect had eliminated him as a suspect before that point ;)

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    By ruling him "too phychopathic"? :p

8. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    Hers an idea for ya Tolk = Klo!!!
    COs if you read Tolk backwards and get rid of the T

So if Tolk and Klo are the same person, it must be a clawdite spy!
    lol

9. MaceWinducannotdie

Aug 31, 2001
    By ruling him "too phychopathic"?

Laugh all ye want, but every scene with Phow Ji was "Mwahahaha, I dare you to fight me! I am teh invinvible! Look at the trophies of all the people I've killed."

Sounds pretty psycho to me.

Compare it to the spy's POV. The spy who has come to care for the people around him/her, even though they're the enemy.

Besides, let's say you're the authors. Do you take your time to introduce this one guy as a big jerk and then say "Oh, yeah, and he was also that spy who we were being all secretive about"?

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, but how hard would it be for a well-trained espionage agent to adopt a kooky persona to throw people off his scent?

Wait, why are we debating this? He's dead.

Or is he...

11. MaceWinducannotdie

Aug 31, 2001
    Yeah, but how hard would it be for a well-trained espionage agent to adopt a kooky persona to throw people off his scent?

A kooky persona that attracts all that attention?

Wait, why are we debating this? He's dead.

Yeah, but I haven't argued over something nonpolitical in a while ;)

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's called hiding in plain sight.

Something nonpolitical, huh? Well, I hate...um...babies!

13. MaceWinducannotdie

Aug 31, 2001
    How could you say something so horrible?! I love them. Especially with ranch dressing ;)

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    After finally buying Battle Surgeons and finishing it, I think that the spy is Tolk. For a few reasons.
    1. She's female, the more deceitful and sneaky gender.
    2. When she finds out about Jos's attraction to her, she automatically jumps on it. Getting close to someone as to not be suspect maybe?
    3. She's a nurse and under less potential scrutiny then the docters would be.

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, Im definitely leaning more towards Tolk myself of late.

16. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I say the female empath nurse.

It makes sense, the spy, although willing to kill if nessiscary, does seem to find it distasteful (which fits up with her being a nurse AND and empath). She's new IIRC, and has had ample time to do sabotage (i.e. she hasn't been acounted for at certain times).

Plus, her being a spy will have a large impact on Tos. Ripping his guts out, always the best way to develop a character. ;)

17. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Definitely Tolk. The entire first book, really, is one big long exercise in ripping apart Jos's universe and throwing him on his head into the middle of a crowded road. What better way of finishing the job than finally tearing him away from his clan's traditions, only to discover that his One True Love? is an enemy spy?

A lot of other things fit together too. Tolk is one of just a few really important characters never mentioned in the spy's POV. Additionally, I don't believe we ever see through Tolk's POV, so we get no chance for comparrison.

Then there's what others have said about Tolk's being so quick to get close to Jos, perhaps so as not to be suspect should anything break and maybe even to get access or information.

Plus, there's the hint our illustrious author dropped earlier in the thread about the desk (acidentally sans pseudonym). And his explanation that the language is intended to be gender-neutral.

In fact, that last paragraph is the only thing that gives me any pause. It seems a little too convenient for that hint to have appeared without its proper pseudonym by mistake. My naturally suspicious nature is wondering if perhaps our M.R. really did mean to make that post uder his own name, claiming it was an accident, to throw us off the scent.

Hmm. Think on thtis I will.....

By the way, "The Correllian Candidate" with Jos as the spy is a plot idea I adore, as is the idea that somehow, inexplicably, Barriss is the spy. I don't think either can possily be true, but if either one were, I'd be sold on this as best SW duology ever, better even than Dark Tide.

-Paul

18. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    it has to be tolk.

she has a silly name.

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    What did the spy do exactly evil again?

20. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Blew up a landing craft. Poisoned (and killed) the Hutt supply officer. Continuously gave information to the enemy.

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    That's nothing. I robbed the destitute lady on the Anchorhead streets of hope and money and earned a frown from Canderous the man himself!

22. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    I was reading the book going noooo why does there have to be a spy I love ALL these characters! lol

I was so annoyed when Zan was killed. so I guess good job SP and MR

I think it must be the empath, its definately a toss up between him and Tolk, but Jos just lost his best friend, don't make him lose his girlfriend too!!!

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm not sure those actions qualify as evil in wartime situation.

BTW does anyone notice Barris may have utterly failed her Trials?

24. Empire101

Empire101 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    Greetings I am new to these message boards, and we are meant to think that Filba is the spy but I think that it could be Phow Ji.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I wouldn't mind seeing more of Phow Ji personally but I think that any successful spy for the enemy wouldn't kill dozens of the enemy.

I hope he shows up in Jedi Healer though, alive and well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.