main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Who is Your Favourite Live-Action TV Director So Far?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by VexedAtVohai, Jan 14, 2022.

?

Who is Your Favourite Live-Action TV Director So Far?

1. Dave Filoni

2. Rick Famuyiwa

3. Deborah Chow

4. Bryce Dallas Howard

5. Taika Waititi

6. Jon Favreau

7. Peyton Reed

8. Carl Weathers

9. Robert Rodriguez

10. Steph Green

11. Kevin Tancharoen

12. Toby Haynes

13. Susanna White

14. Benjamin Caron

15. Rachel Morrison

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Famuyiwa and Filoni

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    With the exception that I think Reed ranks lower than Howard by a tiny margin (The Rescue is brilliant, but The Heiress is more interestingly directed IMO.), I agree with every word here.

Everyone's done great, except Rodriguez.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, I rate Reed because of "The Passenger". I LOVE that episode. The sky chase and the Ice Spiders were some of my favorite things about the entire series, so far.

That's why this is so difficult. If we're judging by favorite episodes then it's Filoni and Reed for me. If we're judging purely by director talent then everyone has impressed me except Rodriguez, but I'd probably give the edge to Famuyiwa and Chow.

I voted Filoni and Reed, for the record. "The Jedi" and "The Passenger" just bring me too much joy.

4. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    For me Deborah Chow and Taika Waititi.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    They've mostly all been good, mostly. Though I'm a bit more reserved about Rodriguez. But then, I initially didn't care much for Howard's first episode, at first watch, but that much improved on rewatch (the AT-ST was really well shot). And her second episode was excellent, one of my favorite TM episodes. So maybe I'll feel the same about Rodriguez' episodes on rewatch.

I think I'll say Famuyiwa and Chow, for now.

6. Logray'sBirdHat

Logray'sBirdHat Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 12, 2022
    Howard's first episode was the Kurosawa bandit one right? I seem to be in such a minority of loving that one. Had that great classic samurai feel to it mixed with, like, "the right kind of cheesy" 90s TV stuff like Xena or Buffy/Angel or whatever. All through a modern Disney+ relatively-high-budget lens.

7. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, that one. I did like that one upon rewatch. Her second one was the one where Bo-Katan was introduced.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Filoni and Chow

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This is a hard question. Lots of quality choices. Even though he's most known for the Ant-Man movies, Peyton Reed's best directing performance ever was that last episode of Mando Season 2 - he created Star Wars magic.

Overall though, I think Chow has done the best job - she is the only one with two top tier episodes in my opinion.

So Reed and Chow get my vote. Honorable mention to Dave Filoni though - I am so impressed at how well "The Jedi" turned out, considering it was only his second live-action Star Wars directing attempt and he had the added pressure of bringing Ahsoka to live action.

11. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    Third. He directed The Mandalorian pilot episode, The Gunslinger and The Jedi.

RetropME likes this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Dang I missed that, wishing I could revise my vote now. That one was outstanding.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  13. silentfault

silentfault Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 5, 2021
    You can change your vote, there's a button available :)

I thought The Jedi was the best live-action episode we've had so far, and not just for Ahsoka. Just visually stunning, beautiful photography, creative usage of lighting, interesting and different environment (not another desert or bog standard forest or gray imperial hallways) which had a narrative and thematic purpose, very magical atmosphere overall.

I felt like every other episode was way too similar to one another with nothing particularly memorable, and the finale I thought was a very ordinary episode, save for Luke entrance, which clearly carried it.

14. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Rick Famuyiwa for me, but Dave Filoni directed my favourite episode so far - "The Jedi".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The Rick and Deb duo for me!

16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Poor Carl, hasn't gotten any votes :_|

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Filoni really did acquit himself with “The Jedi.” I also think he directed some of the best action sequences thus far. The opening of the Jedi, and the shootout with IG-88 in the inaugural episode of Mando. The latter really was an incredibly shot sequence, and doesn’t get enough love.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "The Jedi" is brilliant filmmaking. Like, "Star Wars doesn't usually look quite this good" level.

19. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    The material he had to work with didn't help. That was probably the least memorable episode of a very memorable season.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Filoni still has yet to fully win me over as a live action director. As rock solid as the pilot is, I'd frankly give Favreau co-directing credit there. Of course, he was present throughout the first season in assisting and guiding all the directors, but as Filoni's direct mentor I think he had extra interest in ensuring the pilot was as good as it could be. "The Gunslinger" remains the weakest live action episode to date for me, and while I've appreciated the nuances to "The Jedi," I still don't think of it as upper tier.

21. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Steph Green is by far the best. That's the best action in SW in years, and amazing dream sequence too.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    She did great, but IMO Famuyiwa and Chow are next level.

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Filoni would probably be my pick so far, mainly for just The Jedi and the first ep of Mando (I particularly love its idiosyncratic love for ANH's cheap filming techniques, like the landspeeder shots). The Gunslinger is also a neat one, though nothing outstanding.

Second would be Rick Famuyiwa. The pacing around the corridors in The Prisoner, or cargo-transport chase and tense mess hall scenes in The Believer both exemplify what I like about his style, it's very reserved without losing any energy. He also directed my favourite shot in the whole show, in The Child, when we see the assassins tracking Mando jump across a reflection in his helmet:
    [​IMG]

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    One of my favorite action sequences in Star Wars to be honest. It's just... so much fun! It perfectly balances action and comedy, while being really well shot and edited.

25. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    Filoni and Howard

Filoni - Pilot, 1.05 “Gunslinger” and Chapter 13 “The Jedi”

Howard - 1.04 “Sanctuary”, Chapter 11 “Heirness”

it helps that Filoni specifically knew the care needed in reintroducing both Bo-Katan and Ahsoka Tano into SW. Sackhoff reprises her animated role and Dawson playing the beloved Tano. Gunslinger I believe is also one of the best from the 1st season

clone commander bossk likes this.