main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Who is Your Favourite Live-Action TV Director So Far?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by VexedAtVohai, Jan 14, 2022.

?

Who is Your Favourite Live-Action TV Director So Far?

1. Dave Filoni

2. Rick Famuyiwa

3. Deborah Chow

4. Bryce Dallas Howard

5. Taika Waititi

6. Jon Favreau

7. Peyton Reed

8. Carl Weathers

9. Robert Rodriguez

10. Steph Green

11. Kevin Tancharoen

12. Toby Haynes

13. Susanna White

14. Benjamin Caron

15. Rachel Morrison

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I hooked him up! :D

2. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Really enjoying Obi-Wan, but I'm honestly not sure if I can transfer my vote from Rick Famuyiwa yet. Can't quite articulate why.

The occasional use of shaky-cam is definitely a negative for me.

3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    How could anyone vote for Robert Rodriguez o_O

Anyways I think I’ll go with BDH. Her episodes in Mando S2 and BOBF were both great. I think most of them do a fine job tbh. Rodriguez is the only one that completely took me out of the show by his incompetence. Chow has had some downs in Kenobi, but her Mando episodes were the best in S1.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  4. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Based on The Jedi I’m inclined to say Filoni, as it’s the only episode that I felt had such a strong vision behind it, and some seriously memorable shots, something sorely lacking with most of the directors. But maybe it just dealt with the most interesting material/setting.

5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Filoni is my pick as well. He’s the only one to make anything that feels ambitious, imo.

But I will give an honorable mention to Bryce Dallas Howard because Mando S1E4 is the most underrated of the series imo, and I believe she directed that one.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Agreed. For me The Jedi is the only TV Star Wars that has thus far captured a sense of cinematic grandeur.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Really? Did you see Chapter 2 and 7 of Mando S2, or Chapter 5 of BOBF? Some of the best shots in Star Wars there. But yeah. The Jedi is incredible. Filoni’s career masterpiece, IMO.

8. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Think I might have to change my vote

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Mr. Haynes has been added.

Mostly Handless and VexedAtVohai like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And now Mrs. White.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Changed my vote to Haynes and White. Since I consider Andor to be the best SW series, across the board, I felt my vote should reflect that.

They are benefiting from strong writing, but nothing has felt off in this series. From shot choices, to actor performance, to staging and blocking, it's all been very solid. Well done.

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I guess my hot take post-Andor is that while all of the episodes are very well directed, none of the directors particularly stood out from one another. Perhaps there's an argument that an episode like The Eye has the most visual eye candy so that gives Susanna White an edge, but to me the writers of Andor have actually stood out much more than the directors, particularly Stephen Schiff and Beau Willimon.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I disagree. The direction and framing of scenes was largely great, I thought. I especially liked Toby Haynes’ direction, particularly on Coruscant (in the Mothma scenes and the Luthen ones), but the whole directing team was impressive. Including Susanna White’s direction in the Eye.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Darth__Lobot and Riv_Shiel like this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    With the addition of Ms. Morrison there is no more room in the poll. Guess that's it, no more new directors for the Star Warses.

Master Jedi Fixxxer likes this.
  15. VexedAtVohai

Jul 4, 2020
    Probably need a new poll each year anyway

16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I understand the will and need to include all live action directors for all shows here, but to me it just seems quite illogical to have this long list of very different styles for different shows, since the shows have a different character. I understand comparing the directors of The Mandalorian and The Book Of Boba Fett all between them, but Andor is so different that I don't see how it makes sense to add them to the mix.

VexedAtVohai likes this.