main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who really won the Palpatine Mace duel?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    @darth-sinister

Of course he knew Anakin will come. He can foresee Vader losing planets away WAY BEFORE it actually happened in Mustafar. Sensing Anakin buildings away and minutes before it happens would be child’s play for him.

He literally communicated through the Force at the Jedi Temple when Mace left him behind there. “You do know, don’t you. If the Jedi DESTROY ME any chance of saving her would be lost.” Making Anakin go. Palpatine’s clairvoyance is second to none that even Vader was in awe of it. And even without clairvoyance, it can be easily deduced by chess master Palpatine because No Palpatine = No Padme. So he had to come.

And Why would Palpatine go all out on Mace when he needed him to look like the victim before Anakin shows up …hence why it’s called a Set Up.

Like I said the only time he got hit was when Anakin was about to enter. UNLIKE when 4-1 where Mace had all the advantage…zero hit…not one. Very fortuitous for Palpatine huh??

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    First off, Palpatine cannot see everything. He didn't see Maul losing to Obi-Wan, much less surviving to become a nuisance later on. He didn't see Padme escaping to Tattooine. He didn't see Anakin being in existence. He didn't see the Invisible Hand almost being completely destroyed. He didn't see the existence of the twins. So on and so forth. There was possible different outcomes. He'll try to push them in the right direction, but there is no guarantee.

Actually, we don't know that it was a telepathic contact. Regardless, Mace is not going there to kill Palpatine. Anakin knows that, but he also is afraid that Palpatine would kill them. He goes there to make sure no one kills each other.

Why fight at all? Why not wait until Anakin shows up? Make look bad then? Palpatine is angry at the Jedi and he's going to take them out. And it can be just as effective looking all powerful by taking out four Masters, and say "This is the power."

Tosche_Station and Vialco like this.
  3. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    Just because he couldn’t foresee Maul losing doesn’t mean he couldn’t sense Anakin coming because it’s shown that he could foresee Vader losing planets away. He learned lots of from TPM and by ROTS his manipulations and clairvoyance was at its peak. Vader in ROTJ wouldn’t dare defy him and foreseeing stuff that even surprised Vader.

But let’s just say he couldn’t sense Anakin…all he has to do is prolong the fight until Anakin is outside. Because he knows Anakin has to come because if Palpatine is telling the truth that the Jedi are there not to arrest him but to execute him …then bye bye Padme.

Palpatine:
    But your not sure of their intentions are you??

Anakin:
    I will quickly discover the truth to all of this.

Yes Anakin wants NO ONE TO KILL EACH OTHER but since Mace told him to stay put….Palpatine’s words gave him a slight doubt that maybe the Jedi were going to assassinate him instead of arresting him. So yeah it’s obviously predictable that he will come Force Clairvoyance or not.

And why fight at all?? To piss Mace off by killing his Jedi friends. But the END GAME was always going to be the victim. And that’s why when Anakin walked in it was CONVENIENTLY Palpatine was on the floor while Mace looking like the aggressor CUE the acting:

“Anankin I told you it would come to this!! I was right the Jedi are taking over!!”

But Mace was still doing the right thing by still going with arrest. So Palpatine did his lightning to begging routine. Boom Check Mate.

From the full script before Palpatine obliterated the 3 Jedi Masters:

Palpatine:
    Resist? How could I possibly resist? THIS IS MURDER, You Jedi TRAITORS! How can I be a THREAT TO YOU??!! HELP!! Security!! HELP ME!! MURDER!! Treason!!

Does that sound like a guy who wants to win the lightsaber duel?? That’s a guy who is planning to be the victim in the first place.

What does he gain if Anakin walks in on 4 Dead Jedi Masters??? Nothing…it will be square one all over again. Anakin is still not choosing..he’s still on the fence…and still there to arrest Palpatine.

It’s putting himself in harm’s way to the same Sith moral Jedi that triggered Anakin to finally choose a side.

Anakin will not be impressed by having Palpatine say…look I can kill the Jedi easily!! He wants to save Padme but does not want to be the BAD GUY. So Palpatine finally gave him an out.

4. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Will this thread ever die?

5. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Guysssss……@sidious and @dart sinister……it is over….you are saying the same things over and over and over again. You are not going to change each other opinions. Move on please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. DarthPivot

DarthPivot Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2016
    Why would we ask @Sidious69 and @darth-sinister to stop their debate? Isn't this what the thread is for? Why patronize the thread if you don't want to read about the topic? This is for love of the game right now. Both titans are going back and forth on their opinions of the fight. I disagree w/ sinister, but enjoy reading his responses. Why aren't you asking @A Chorus of Disapproval to cease spamming the thread with non value adding ping pong stuff (posted multiple times now)?

Subtext Mining and Sidious69 like this.
  7. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    A debate isn’t saying the same things over and over… and over.

Darth Chuck Norris and Dandelo like this.
  8. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke. Some of us have been around since the thread began, and are quite amazed it's still ongoing despite it being resolved that Palps won.

Tosche_Station and Sidious69 like this.
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Pong gif is the best part of this.

10. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    This ^
    [​IMG]

Jedi Bluth and christophero30 like this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Not until all the Horcruxes have been found and destroyed...wait wrong franchise.

:p

12. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    Just like Palpatine, this thread will never die.

If people are sick of it then just go to another debate thread.

But yet…everyone is still drawn to it and keeps on coming. If people are really not interested then this thread wouldn’t have lasted this long.

If people really don’t care then this thread would have died long ago ….along with Mace.

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It's like watching a train wreck.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I guess Palpatine thinks he's Dr. Strange: "This time it's gonna take more than killing me to kill me."

Palpatine...or this thread? ;)

15. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    I always thought it was super obvious that Palpatine threw the fight. The whole point was to tempt Anakin and you could even see, the second he saw Anakin arrive out of the corner of his eye, he suddenly went all super weak. I don't get how Mace could possibly defeat Palpatine either, I mean even Yoda could only tie. Not that Mace didn't do impressively well against him all the same, no match, but a good bit better match than any other non-Yoda Jedi of the time.

Sidious69 and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    He could have said a billion times faster, it doesn't make a difference. There isn't some Jedi combine where we can quantify their performance. They can literally make up whatever they want.

Great, now I responded to this thread:
    [​IMG]

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You didn't see the Palpatine is Sidious and Artoo is a spy debates?

19. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I try to forget some of that.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Same here. If you want it to end, you know how to

[​IMG]

"Stop the madness."

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
  22. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Peeps, I’m pretty sure the mods could just lock this thread if they found it tiresome. Methinks they might actually enjoy it to a degree.

(Lightly joking, please don’t ban me :_|)

In all seriousness, I think Palpatine was faking it. If he had wanted to, he could’ve killed Mace right then and there but he needed Anakin to come. This is a man who can sense that Anakin’s in danger from halfway across the galaxy. I’m pretty sure he can sense Anakin’s intentions when he comes into the chamber. He just has to keep playing the helpless victim until Anakin makes his choice. He might have panicked when Mace raised his lightsaber in a ‘Holy ****! Anakin! Act now!’ But beyond that, I think he could sense what Anakin was up to.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  23. Sidious69

May 19, 2004

There you go!! Now we can close the thread. Debate over. The verdict: Palpatine planned to be the victim in the first place.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  24. Cad_Bane's_Hat

Cad_Bane's_Hat Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2022
    Totally agree with your assessment. It wouldn't have been a good look if Sidious just killed all four Jedi right away right before Anakin showed up. I do think Palpatine was caught a bit off guard with how much of a fight Mace put up, but again, he needed a ploy to help cast him as the victim (and by this point Anakin probably already hated Mace anyways, so that helped). Although was the Force lightning really worth it in the end?

RogueDianoga and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    Yes. It was that lightning that finally changed Mace from arrest to kill.

It also gave him the excuse to finally take his Palpatine mask off using it as one of the evidences to the Senate for the attempt on his life by the evil Jedi.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022