main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct Future SW Films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Don’t let the toxic losers win.

Anyway, I think LFL should get McLaren, Bigelow and Sapochnik for one of the trilogies.

The long-shot is Cuaron. Kathleen must be considering him, right? Pretty much guaranteed to be a great SW film.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  3. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I guess he was still miffed 3 days later about the drive-by hate that swung into his exchange with Rian Johnson on Twitter.

4. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Wow that would be a beautiful thing to behold. I would trust Studio Ghibli with the entire production.

Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'd like to see the new trilogy directed by Christopher Nolan.

King Maul and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm not sure I like that. Yes, its horrible and these people are just outright disgusting human beings in every way possible, but they're not fans and they certainly don't represent the majority. I agree with him when he says he doesn't want to entertain those people (no one should), but what about the other 99.99.99.99% of the fandom who aren't like that? What, so most fans (whether they're SW, Marvel, Trek fans or whatever) are like that? Really? Most are actually just normal people who just happen to love SW (or any property). Social media has really blurred things.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Spike Lee for a Mace Windu spinoff.

8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's the thing though, once you make such a movie, you have to deal with these kind of "fans". It doesn't matter one bit whether most fans are different. Most people also aren't stalkers, but that doesn't mean that someone who is or has been stalked will have no problems with it afterwards.

If you are a film-maker and also enjoy using social media, you can't get around these type of fans. Staying away from making movies with these sort of fans thus allows the film-maker to do what makes him happy, and prevents him from running into people who would/could make his life miserable. And that should always have priority over bringing enjoyment to other people.

9. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    A talented, competent director not wanting to direct a movie due fans who are prone to aggressively lashing out at creators when they don't disagree with what that creator has produced. Yeah there's not much to like about it. Unless we're talking about the subset of that subset of fans who really just want Disney to give up or fail with the franchise. It's an encouraging sign to that breed.

And he's not the only one. Campea was talking about this particular story today and he said he knew another, well-known director (didn't name them) who told him the exact same thing when the topic of possibly directing a SW movie came out. The director cited their kids and not wanting them to see the sorts of things that have been hurled at Rian Johnson on Twitter (which remember have included death threats) fired at themselves.

But as for McQuarrie maybe he's cooled off since the initial exchange a few days ago.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Elon Musk.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He is busy
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Paul W.S. Anderson channeling the creative mindset when he made Soldier.

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    No rush. When he's done with the Martian sequel and the Hyperloop, he can work on the Hyperspace Saga.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I think del Toro, Whedon, and Bird were all approached for TFA after JJ initially turned it down to do what would become STB. They couldn’t accept because they were too busy. So, if the time is right for them...

I think KK had 2 directors in mind if JJ has said no the second time: Ben Affleck and someone else whose name I can’t remember.

I’d love to see Nolan direct a SW film.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A resounding yes to Nolan. A deafening no to Whedon.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  16. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Nolan would be great for a SW film and for a 007 film.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Creative vision and content creators and writers are more critical than directors.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  18. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Reductionism. Even directors who don’t write, Hitchcockand most often Spielberg and Scorsese, aren’t just hired guns. They have creative vision and their own style. Then Coppola, Kubrick, Wells, and RJ are writer-directors.

My list above is of writer-directors. All of them.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm talking about the brand more than any film. What is a "Star Wars" movie? Under GL that answer was clear.

After 4 movies with multiple changes it's hard to define what a Star Wars movie truly is.

For some that may be a feature instead of a big but leads to turmoil and directors being fired or forced to change. With a Marvel or Harry Potter movie I know what to expect. Seems like Lucasfilm was going with the DCEU route of whatever goes - connected story or not.

If trends continue - next Star Wars director will be a seasoned Hollywood veteran. After all the changes and controversy- can't see Disney approving a newbie or one-hit wonder. There response to replacing directors in Solo and IX show that. Coincidentally or not that is both after Rian' s work.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I found LOTR and Hobbit fandom during the early 2000s suffocating because one director's vision dominated all six films, and his style was just not my style. So I essentially...didn't really enjoy all six films. I'm much more enthusiastic about Kennedy's approach of multiple writers and directors, as that means a variety of styles, and a higher chance that I (and other fans) will get at least some films that gel with our sensibilities (as has happened with Rogue One and Solo for me, as an example). I hope Kathleen continues with that approach, and definitively rejects all calls to emulate the oppressive Feige vision of franchises. Lucas picked her, I believe, because she's a friend to artists as opposed to an imposer of house formulas. So as long as she's there, I think she'll keep that creative spirit alive.

21. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    We need a Christopher Nolan directed Star Wars film with Roger Deakins behind the camera.

Add on the fact that if it succeeds really well, have another trilogy by the duo. Maybe with Del Toro in the mix.

Am I dreaming? =P~

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  22. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    It's worth keeping in mind that Kennedy's career as a producer has been predicated upon giving directors as much creative freedom as possible, and that's largely what she's done at Lucasfilm thus far. Each film has been distinct and reflective of its director's style and personality.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Indeed. Yet the last 2 director changes - creativity was shunned for seasoned Hollywood vets like Howard and Abrams.

Having a brand where the audience doesn't know what to expect became too risky for someone with Disney. Otherwise why the changes?

24. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I think there's a difference between shunning creativity, and recognizing when something isn't working.

I think with Lord and Miller it was a case of execution. Everyone was clearly on board with their vision in preproduction, but when it came time to film, Lord and Miller weren't able to deliver. I also think Solo was also a case in which Lawrence Kasdan's seniority took precedence. Honestly, the final product is a pretty seamless fusion of styles between Lord and Miller concepts, the Kasdans' writing, and some of Howard's visual touches.

And with Trevorrow it's tough to tell since we haven't seen Episode IX. He had been involved for two years before leaving last September, and there was reportedly a plan in place for the story before Carrie Fisher's passing. I suspect he wasn't able to find a way to make the story work without her, thus the Abrams hire.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  25. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Maybe. It could just be coincidence and circumstances that have plagued Star Wars movies development. Personally - I think its rooted in not having a clear film vision and plan. That's why things like Kasdan taking over can happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.