main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct Future SW Films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    In my defense, that post was written before the film was released (still haven't seen it though).

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I have. [face_sick]:mad:=((:_|[face_frustrated]

3. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    My dream list:
    Alfonso Cuarón
    Denis Villenueve
    Damien Chazelle

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Mine is exactly the same, only I’d replace Chazelle with Miguel Sapochnik or Kathryn Bigelow.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Scratch that. After seeing First Man, Damien Chazelle should be given a trilogy. Amazing film. He’s a master on the level of Villeneuve, and perhaps even better. And not too far shy of Cuaron.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Silly of me, but I hadn't realized First Man was out already. I need to go see it as soon as possible!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'd keep an eye on David Lowery.

8. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    This might be impossible but Peter Jackson. After watching LOTR, this is the one.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    After seeing First Man, my top ten dream list is now:

- Cuaron
    - Chazelle
    - Bigelow
    - Sapochnik
    - Villeneuve
    - Bigelow
    - Nolan
    - Miller
    - Mangold
    - Edwards/ Gilroy duo again

10. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I think writing is just as important as directing.

I really like what Ron Howard delivered with Solo.

DJ Caruso is good, plus he's worked with Disney before.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing what Trevorrow had in store for us on 9.

Matt Reeves

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Zack Snyder

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I can already imagine the fan petition to release the Snyder cut of Star Wars: Jedi v Sith – Dawn of the Dark Side :)

Darkslayer and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Ah, that reminds me of one of the earliest spinoff rumors. Zack Snyder directing a Seven Samurai inspired Jedi adventure.

TCF-1138 and Darkslayer like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s not funny.

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I almost completely forgot about that. That rumor dropped sometime in the first half of 2013, if I recall.

TCF-1138 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Agreed, I was being serious.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Are you talking about the BvS, Ayn Randian Zack Snyder, or his cousin with the same name? Can’t think of anyone less appropriate for SW, but to each his own.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Good old days. I remember it fondly. I think it was actually in January 2013. As the sale to Disney was announced in October 2012, it might have actually been the first rumour we ever had pertaining to the new era of SW.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    I got to watch Aquaman today and I would love to put in a nomination, James Wan.

Quoting the man himself, he wanted to make an "underwater Star Wars" and he succeeded in doing so.

Of course, with better help with the story and other production value aspects, he can succeed really well with a shot in Star Wars. His works are visually stunning and character-oriented which is something Star Wars values. KK should give him a shot one day. His great!

p.s. taking pride coz his born from Malaysia. :)

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I haven't been huge on the idea of Alfonso Cuaron taking on Star Wars, but I can't deny that this scene from Roma instantly made me think of a Jedi Academy.

[​IMG]

IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I saw Aquaman with my nephew yesterday and thought it looked like an extended screensaver. Just too much fake-looking CGI. I don't really blame Wan, though, as he likely had to adhere to a certain DCEU style. Not sure I want him directing a Star Wars film, but I'm open to new talent.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Aquaman was really good and stunning to look at. It was a hard feat to pull off taking a character that's been thought of as a joke and make him look badass but Wan pulled it off. I had a few problems with it but overall it was a fun time at the cinema. I'd take a Star Wars film by Wan any day!

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    While I disagree about Aquaman, which was almost relentlessly fake-looking to me, I do think Wan has some real directing talent and would be curious to see what he could produce in a stylistically much different franchise (SW). Regarding visuals, I think the new Mary Poppins did a much better job than the DCEU films of making lots and lots of CGI seem convincing. And it was a really well done movie too. Rob Marshall directing a SW movie might not be a bad idea...Either that or something for the streaming service aimed at the youngins.

24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Johnston, gotta be Johnston. Throw him a frickin' boooone heerrree, says Dr Evil.

Even if he didn't part ways on that cruddy new-studio Narnia movie, that would have been a hell of a petering out of a career as his last movie, waste of talent. Nobody was going to see that.

Kind of just insane to me that Joe hasn't really directed anything other than a couple of TV movies since 2011's The First Avenger, which was well-received and made the bank Disney wanted it to. Especially given he was their other option looked at to take over Solo.

Probably not right for an Obi-Wan solo, there would be better choices, but if you're going to do something OT-era down the line similar in tone to Solo or Rogue One, WWII vibes or competing criminal scum or whatever, he's the obvious choice. Hopefully Kathleen kind of turning away from the Tranks/Lords/Millers of the world and starting to hire guys like Howard & Favreau for stuff might be a good sign. Apparently-retired or no, Kathleen giving Johnston a call about Star Wars of all things is probably going to change that career decision.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've got to say, I hope Johnston never directs a Star Wars film. I just think he's a bad director.

Bor Mullet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.