main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who Should Have Been the Main Villain in Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Mar 25, 2022.

?

Who Should Have Been the Main Villain in Episode IX?

1. Palpatine (as in the actual movie)

24 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Darth Jar Jar

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Darth Plagues

12 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. Kylo Ren

48 vote(s)
    44.9%
  5. Snoke (somehow back)

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Vader Clone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No, I wanted him to be disgustingly resurrected like the villain from the original Hellraiser.

2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I’d have preferred him as a Sith Spirit pulling strings from beyond the grave like Freedon Nadd and Marko Ragnos.

darklordoftech and Darth PJ like this.
  3. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    I am grateful Darth Jar Jar got the fewest votes. I can't help but think that would be bad writing.

I think it should have been Kylo Ren. He was the only villain left, so maybe they could have worked to build up his antagonism in this movie and perhaps find a way to make him more terrifying once Snoke is dead.

I cannot help all the same but think it might have been interesting if Snoke were to turn out to be Darth Plagueis.

Dark Ferus, DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  4. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015
    It should still have been Palpatine. Which means I would've preferred the ST to have been planned from TFA that Palpatine was the puppet-master to Snoke. Not a Marvel-style end-credits but a final scene of a resurrected Palpatine controlling Snoke from the shadows and mentioned "The Final Order will soon begin".

5. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Personally, I liked Palpatine's death in Return of the Jedi.

6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Kylo... just make the first scene of the movie Rey trying to assassinate him and him kicking her butt, mocking her like "you think I was that weak? I played along on Ilum/Starkiller so Snoke would only have eyes for you... so thanks for helping me getting rid of him."

And with that... sloved that "Rey already defeated Kylo he is no threat" problem... then have her train Finn so they can face Kylo together.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    godisawesome likes this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The advantage of Palpatine as the villain: it's the best way to make the ST a sequel to the OT’s events when Rey isn’t a Skywalker, and Ben Solo doesn’t have to be the bad guy. The disadvantage of Palpatine as the villain: he already had a satisfactory defeat and exit, and he doesn’t help Rey have a good story, nor does he give the Skywalker family a good story unless the audience is fully devoted to Ben Solo.

The advantage of Kylo as the villain: it’s the best way to give Rey and Finn an enemy they have a personal rivalry with, and it’s the best use of Kylo, since he’s a loathsome sonuvagun and that’s the only interesting aspect of his TLJ arc. The disadvantage of Kylo as the villain: it’s a crap show for the Skywalkers because, thanks to Rey not being a Skywalker, Ben is going to die as their last, ignoble and loathsome member, unworthy of the family name and drama attached to that.

Snoke has the same problems as Palpatine without his advantages, while un-introduced villains (even Plagueis) have the same weaknesses but also a need to be established.

I feel like Kylo as the Big Bad has an edge over Palpatine because, ironically, Kylo has a severe inadequacy as a Skywalker family member - while Ben Solo has his fans and a lot of institutional biases in his favor, he doesn’t have enough to offset fans and audience members who don’t find him interesting or likable enough to actually give the story the “pop” of a multi-generational story… so he might as well be a good, topical villain to Rey and Finn instead of pretending to be a protagonist.

Really… the Big Bad isn’t the solution to the malaise and apathy the ST was struck with after TLJ - it’s Rey being a “Skywalker” instead of a Skywalker. If Rey were a Solo or Skywalker, then honestly, the villains could be Snoke, Palpatine, Kylo, or even a new villain in a much more rewarding manner than whoever we could get while Rey wasn’t a Skywalker and Kylo, with all his inadequacies, was the only new one.

Sable_Hart, 2Cleva and Mira Grau like this.
  8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Finn isn't a rival to Kylo. Neither is Poe.

Yes and no. TROS shows that Ben wasn't a ignoble and loathsome member. What he become was after turning to the dark side. Which is Ben Which is like anyone who turns to the dark side. ignoble and loathsome comes with the package.

As for unworthy of the family name. that's not how it works. the skywalkers are not a name for good. Anakin Skywalker did horrible things. Is he not worthy of being a skywalker?

And i haven't read legends either but i heard that got pretty dark too in the lineage.

Well actually there are many who found him MORE interesting because of what potentially could be going on with him emotionally. Battling demons of any kind make for an interesting watch

9. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    I think Kylo being the main villain by the end might have been a good way to finally make the trilogy feel different from the Original. And Kylo was the last major Skywalker-related person they could use.

The rest of the time, they could actually make Finn learn to be a Jedi because, to be honest, I think a lot of people found him more relatable than Rey, as well as the only character who did not seem to closely copy an archetype we have had already.

Also, can we remark on how more people voted for Darth Jar Jar than a Vader clone?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Darth Darth Binks FTW!

Darth PJ likes this.
  11. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If I was writing the entire ST myself, the big bad would be a cosmic horror who would be revealed to have corrupted the very first Sith. Maybe they would take the form of Sidious, Vader, and Maul throughout the trilogy.

BlackRanger likes this.
  13. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    i would pick plpatine because thats his character he likes power and is a good mainpulator

14. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    But he's a bad manipulator in TROS.

15. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    i wouldn't say so lol but we all have opinions

16. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    He basically tells Rey that he's going to posses her and then tries to play it like she can have the power to save her friends if she lets him possess her.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    That doesn't really say bad manipulator just means hes just messing with her since he wants power

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    And he’s going about trying to acquire that power…ineffectively. So, not good at manipulation.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    godisawesome likes this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He never says that he will possess her. What he says is that he and all other Sith spirits will live on in her as they now live in him, clearly implying that she will be in control.
    That said, she probably senses the lie. Not least because he's been playing the family card while twirling his moustache right in front of her.

wreath likes this.
  20. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    He literally says, "my spirit will pass into you" and then, according to the transcript I'm reading, after he talks about the sith spirits says, "we will be one". How is that not possession?

godisawesome likes this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The only person Palps manipulates in the ST is Supreme Moron Kylo Ren. Rey isn't fooled by anything he says, which changes from line to line, scene by scene in the movie. And the galaxy certainly isn't fooled by anything he says, which is pretty much an invitation to finally give a hoot about the FO and fight him/them for once.

Palpatine is so bad at his machinations, that he's beaten a day after he makes his radio broadcast.

Everything in this damn trilogy happens in a weekend.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    This is what I mean by him being tailored largely to serve Kylo, and thus rather stupid - in the PT, Palpatine's game wasn't just to seduce Anakin to the dark side, but also the entire Galaxy, and to make the Republic, Jedi, and their enemies all his pawns... and his manipulations of Anakin, even on a conceptual level, are still superior to the current concept of how he manipulated Ben Solo.

In order to have Kylo get usurped as the Bad Guy early enough to set up his redemption, Palpatine reveals himself unnecessarily before he deploys his game-breaker fleet, and giving Lando the ability to rally more people to oppose him. And because the idea is to try and deprive Ben Solo of agency in his fall, we've gone with the brainwashing idea (the right move)... but because LFL wants him to have a more rational portrayal to fit their idea of Rey's attraction to him, it's not actually portrayed as traumatic brainwashing, but rather Ben just being kind of dumb, and able to be broken from it by a first name call by his mom.

And yeah, there's other convolutions designed to try and give Ben an unearned and purely obligatory heroic moment:
    The possession story is pulled out of nowhere and thrown in just to delay Rey taking on Palpatine, so Ben can be her white knight for five minutes.

Like, if this were really Rey's story, than the main villain should have been either Kylo or they shouldn't have killed off Snoke... but because TLJ retconned the story into Ben Solo's story in a lazy, sloppy, and ultimately artificial way, Palpatine gets pulled up and given a few concussions.

DarkGingerJedi and BlackRanger like this.
  23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Rey isn't fooled by Palpatine because Palpatines plan was never to fool Rey. The plan was pretty simple, she is there to kill him so he can take her body. And while the logic is a bit confusing, She infact was gonna kill him before Ben showed up. There was no fooling because it was all pretty simple.

And yes palpatine was trying to fool Kylo. But at the same time, Kylo was also not planning on doing what he asked anyway.

But then the logic there gets confusing because in the writing its basically Palpatine is trying to fool Kylo, while Kylo is planning against him, Which is secretly what Palpatine wanted. So he knew Kylo would plan against him and not kill Rey, and that would somehow get her to the planet where he was. Which in theory is certainly a Palpatine type plan. Its just not very well constructed on screen.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The logic isn't confusing. It's not even simplistic. It's nonexistent.

The story makes no sense whatsoever. Just story thrown into the scene, that changes by the scene, written by 'creators' whose only desire was to get passed that job.

25. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Snoke and Kylo Ren. Have Snoke return and possess Kylo, kill them both with one stone. Throw in a Rey sacrifice while you're at it.