main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who Should Have Been the Main Villain in Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MidKnighT, Mar 25, 2022.

?

Who Should Have Been the Main Villain in Episode IX?

1. Palpatine (as in the actual movie)

24 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Darth Jar Jar

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Darth Plagues

12 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. Kylo Ren

48 vote(s)
    44.9%
  5. Snoke (somehow back)

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Vader Clone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    agreed

2. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    thats basically him lol we can see it worked for rey until kylo return and it worked on vader as well and it worked on kylo until leia ruined it so eh

3. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    but if you think of hi m just caring of power then i wouldn't think it wouldn't make sense

4. wreath

Aug 21, 2021
    if your thinking of force transfer yes but thats not whats going on purse

5. High Inquisitor Ivo

High Inquisitor Ivo Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2022
    I think Kylo Ren. The Dark Side twisting the legacy of the Skywalkers into one of their own personal acolytes, becoming the very thing they swore to destroy, would have been amazing. Snoke would have been better fitting as a remnant of the Empire, perhaps a Captain or high ranking member, who secretly knew of the Emperor's dark side ties and saw Vader as the ultimate being so he decided to set out and find someone who he could pour Sith teachings into to form the next ultimate servant of the Dark Side. Or he could have no ties, instead lean more heavily into the Knights of Ren lore.

Kylo would still be conflicted, later killing off influential people in his life like family in an attempt to focus himself. Snoke could be killed off too, but instead have a scene where Snoke is realizing his "creation" Kylo Ren is beyond his control now and as he is fleeing for his life Kylo would recite the Sith code, music accentuating the line "Through victory, my chains are broken, the Force shall set me free." and as the music heightens have Kylo force choke Snoke before dropping him to the floor and walking out like a boss. He would see himself as righting the perceived errors of past Skywalkers, specifically Anakin's love for his son aiding him in turning to back to the Light Side, thus removing his family he would see as removing distractions.

Maybe it would have been cool to see Rey helping keep Luke and Leia hidden, deciding to destroy the map to Skywalker. In an improvement of TLJ Battle, maybe Luke would finally confront Kylo and as Kylo just unleashes his fury Luke would calmly block it all. While the Lightsabers clash, Kylo would tell Luke he will be the last of the Light Side users then Luke would simply smile and gently tell him no, then Rey would appear behind Kylo and the two would fight, the old generation Luke and the new generation Rey vs Kylo, a being completely lost with himself. I would have saved this all for Episode IX.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I feel like Kylo should not have been redeemed at all and should have been the big villain of IX.

Han was a beloved character by the fans. Having Kylo kill him was an effective way of getting the audience to dislike him. Add to that Rey trying to redeem him and Kylo rejecting it in favor of becoming Supreme Leader of the FO, Luke telling Leia he can’t save Kylo and Leia seemingly accepting that, and Kylo trying with all of his might to kill Luke.

For Leia to spend her final energy just to say his name, for Rey to wound him, then heal him, and the the memory of Han to convince him to abandon evil… it just seemed too little too late.

I felt like Kylo needed to die. It could have been done in a moving way, where ghost Leia’s voice calls out to him after Rey has mortally wounded him, calling him to the afterlife and giving him the peace in death that he couldn’t find in life.

In Rebels, Obi-Wan kills Maul but then becomes compassionate towards Maul as he lay dying, trying to comfort him in his final moments.

Love and compassion could have still be incorporated into a scenario in which an irredeemable Kylo Ren is killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Ferus and PendragonM like this.
  7. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Eh, that doesn't have a lot considering he and Rey barely know eachother, to me.

8. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I would have brought back Palps in a surprise third act twist, but merely as a spirit, like a parasite inside Kylo (previously in Snoke), finally overtaking his body. Seems like the appropriate comeuppance for Kylo, to be a slave to the abusive master he traded in his loving parents for. The ghost of Palps also just seems like the appropriate conclusion in this OT echo trilogy. Snoke already was that in a way, so kinda makes sense to tie the two together, especially with Snoke still receiving no explanation after TLJ.

Could have even suggested that Palps was Plagieus, his master before him, etc, going all the way back to the Prime Jedi, making this truly a battle of the future of the Jedi vs the past.

But before that I would have liked to see Supreme Leader Kylo for the majority of the movie without him being an errand boy, just being a volatile erratic leader, slowly losing the loyalty of the FO as they struggle to take over the galaxy. How I would have loved to see Hux and company successfully mutiny against Kylo and send him running.

I may have kept Kylo alive at the end though. Maybe his one “redeeming” moment is that he regains a split second of control over his body long enough to chop his own arms off, or try to off himself. I just like the idea of a pathetic powerless Kylo being imprisoned on Ahch To, too useless to bother continuing his conquest in the dark, but may of use to our heroes years later.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    godisawesome likes this.
  9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    This is basically the type of story I think Kylo should have if he’s supposed to be tragic - I just don’t see anyway for him to be tragic rather than detestable if he isn’t insane or possessed.

Sadly, part of the reason I don’t think he could be left alive is the same reason why so many people resolutely refuse to see him as detestable even if they don’t think of him as insane or possessed - he’s the only ew Skywalker they have, he’s the only major white guy in the new cast, and many people (both at LFL and in the audience) refuse to adjust to the character as he is when he they desperately want him to be something else.

You leave Kylo alive, and inevitably someone who unflinchingly enjoyed TLJ but thought that “Rey was too hard on him” or something would eventually end up in charge of the character, and we’d just get even more obnoxious character shilling for him and even more insecure character sabotage of everyone else.

He only survives if Rey was a Skywalker and he loses the “monopoly” on the family legacy that blinds people to him.

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Even if Rey was a skywalker, he would still be important and his fate would be even more important. Because its not about what he did, it was about how it ends. And how that ends reflects more on the family name. Because if it wasn't, people would also say Anakin shouldn't be redeemed as he quite clearly murdered hundreds of people. When Anakins redemption isn't just about Luke.

11. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    In ROTJ it's absolutely about Luke and how his dad reflects himself. Vader is a prominent aspect, and in the grand story of the whole series, it's about his turn away from darkness, that moment is, but this story is about Luke reaching out to his dad and his dad listening to him.

As a whole Kylo is also a far worse character in the movies, than Vader is, and Rey is a worse character than Luke.

godisawesome likes this.
  12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Part of why ROTJ works is because both father and son, see themselves in the other person. Luke sees that he's just like his father, and could easily become this evil machine. And Vader realizes that if he created his person in front of him, who's this good, that means that there must be some goodness in him. He sees the person he wished he had been all along, making the right choices. And so...he chooses to do right again.

There is nothing remotely like this in the ST between Kylo and Rey. Nothing. It's completely shallow and empty and relying on one's love and familiarity (perhaps even ignorantly so) of EP 6.

There is no reason why Rey wants to save Kylo, as it relates to her arc. And there is nothing in Rey that Kylo sees, that relates to his. Despite the rather forced - er, connection, the Dyad - there is nothing between them at all holding this drama together.

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Actually, his fate in regards to the family story would decrease in importance substantially, because now the family has an “escape pod” from him being their dead end. “How it ends” now has very little to do with him in the long run, because the end is now far, far away and with other characters.

It’s why old, Pre-Disney LFL was perfectly capable of killing off Jacen Solo, since that had no negative impact on Anakin’s story nor as an end to the family story; and once you open up a possibility for proving the dark side’s hold is as intransigent as you yourself sometimes state in an obfuscating manner… creators feel tempted to prove it by averting a redemption to make a point, as they did with Jacen. And even people who liked the character or hated Han and Leia losing their sons still came back to read stuff about the rest of his family afterwards.

Ironically, where his fate would increase in importance would be in relation to what would best serve the other characters, which is where you’re more accurate… while not acknowledging how that requires a clearer prioritization of characters LFL proved themselves incapable of except in the inevitable killing off of Kylo because otherwise even they know they’ll go back to him as their preferred post-ST story.

When Kylo is prioritized as equal to or greater than Rey because of his heritage and her not having it, he *has* to die because that’s a conflict between the story’s identified protagonist and the king term family story.

When Kylo is rightly prioritized below Rey, Finn, and the Skywalkers because Rey is a Skywalker, and oddly enough when he can more easily die evil without interfering with their stories in the long run… then he oddly gets more freedom to possibly survive if it’ll help their stories more than if he died.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well no because its still family. You can't take 1 skywalker child and make them more important than another. If Rey was a skywalker and her fate important then so would his be. Whatever you did with him and his fate would stick with the legacy. It wouldn't vanish because of Rey. Oh she is the good one so she is more important. Nah In the long run his final choice would probably mean more than Reys when it comes to redemption or no redemption. If there is no redemption then its heartbreaking. if there is a redemption then it means that even through mistakes like say Anakin who people like to think was a good person who fell to the dark side. there was good in the family, there was good in that person. and ultimately that decision is perhaps the biggest.

Ben Solo was always gonna be important. Yes perhaps more than some of the other main characters like Finn and Poe. Even though i think people who rooted for him to stay evil probably would have been the same people rioting about the choice in making him a bad guy in the first place.

But anakin is also a character in himself. We seen anakin's story so if you watch the OT with that in mind it does become less about Luke and more about the audiences wanting anakin to make that right choice. And if you invest in anakin then you won't ever give up on that character turning back.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I do agree with you about that. Making Ben Solo the only character of Skywalker blood (outside of Luke and Leia) was always going to make him the central character in any given story they chose to tell... especially as the ST was always pitched as a direct sequel to the OT. Abrams and Kasdan, in TFA, could have made any character the Skywalker of the new films... indeed, they could have given us an entire family of new Skywalker's... instead they opted for a sole descendant... Kylo Ren... and in Kylo Ren (figuratively and literally) lay the legacy of Luke, Leia and Anakin. Of course he was going to be the character of most interest.

16. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    That's not really that meaningful considering that he's not the main character and is given far less than they are to justify his prominence. His family name only makes the poor writing around him more ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned. I think they could've stood to do both. But they botched everything.
    Yes. Anakin is a character. But within the OT that story is developed through the perspective of Luke as a character and how he interacts with it and what it really means for him as a person. If you watch the PT it gives the wider context, but Luke is the main character within the OT, not Vader.
    That sounds, to me, like a them problem, if they can't focus on the main character of their own trilogy and use Kylo as well.

17. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wonder if it's possible that there could still be other Skywalkers after TROS. Like what if Luke had a kid he never knew about? There's TONS of untouched backstory to consider.

The thought of Rey meeting a legit Skywalker descendant and explaining that their family is all dead and she's a Palpatine who's calling herself a Skywalker now would be... interesting.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'll go back all the way to what I said on July 26, 2013, not too long after the news of a ST was announced: it should just be a Star Wars adaptation of Big Trouble in Little China, with Palpatine as Lo Pan, a spirit trying to regain his flesh.

Okay, there's not enough there for three movies, but damn that would be one hell of a standalone Star Wars movie. I'd watch the hell out of that.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  19. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Without doubt there will be new bloodline Skywalker's post the ST. It will involve retconning the story... but I have no doubts it will happen.. be it a hidden/lost child or a clone etc. etc.

20. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013

Discovering some macabre collector has both Anakin's and Luke's hands. Then has a whole array of failed clones in tubes around the room, like in Aliens.

Although we don't really know much about Shmi's family history did she have siblings or other relatives? Are there off shoots of the Skywalker family tree that can come back to the main saga? Not saying that it should happen, but i wouldn't be shocked if it did.

21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Easiest way is just introduce Mara Jade into Mando-verse. You don't even really need MH or Luke on screen in the story, meeting her directly. Just intro that character and we know where this is going. Either Luke had a kid and didn't know. Or...Luke knew about it, but thought they died. Ben's fall just added to the sense of loss and Luke refusing to even mention it in passing to a girl he met for 14 minutes one day.

None of that would be unbelievable or too far stretched (say like Palpatine creating a clone family for himself all in secret)

godisawesome likes this.
  22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't know why people think they care enough to suddenly have a new skywalker appear. They pretty much closed that book with TROS. And while people think Disney will give in and make an episode 10... why would they go through all that again? Its clear they were glad it was over with episode 9 so they could move on.

Rey is pretty much a compromise and she is taking that skywalker name and role either way.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Which is why we've seen so much of Rey and none of Young Luke in post ST content.

godisawesome likes this.
  24. I would have make Kylo Ren the Main Villain and Rey to be Luke Daughter their Last Fight would be like a Poetry with the Jaina Solo vs Darth Caedus Fight instead of Dark Empire

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2023
    whostheBossk and godisawesome like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hate the idea of Luke with a kid, and so I really wouldn’t be a fan of this.