main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who should head of Lucasfilm?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by CISMestizo, Jun 15, 2020.

?

Who should run Lucasfilm?

1. Dave Filoni

2. Jon Favreau

3. Kathleen Kennedy

4. Kevin Feige

5. Other(Please Explain in Comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    I think that this is likely going to happen when KK finally leaves Lucasfilm.

2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Studios aren't headed for any of that. They have a corporate executive / producer in charge, because that's what the job requires. And below that level, they have some people who fill out the more creative roles. You know, exactly how it is at Lucasfilm right now.

The president of Lucasfilm has basically always been a manager-type, never a creative person. George Lucas wasn't the president of his own company either. I really don't know why people keep ignoring that for their wild fantasy of a Filoni-type person running something that goes completely contrary to his strengths. A company gets run by a person who understands the business side, creative roles tend to be filled with people who have creative talents. You would be sabotaging yourself if you let a creative do the business side when that is something he hasn't done before. You also weaken his creative influence, because he would have hardly any time making decisions on he creative side.

3. Without a doubt Dave Filoni

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Maybe in five or ten years, but not now.

5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    A person who has never produced a film in his life should run Lucasfilm? Interesting.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He directed the critically acclaimed clone wars movie :p

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So, you want him to step away from being one of the chief creatives at LFL, and instead focus on the business side of things?

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He is better at creativity with telling the stories of tv shows and movies. Fans still love him.

9. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    He has a lot of experience in television. Why can't this count? In addition, he already holds a high position in the company being the chief executive of the entire company and the de facto head of the animation division. This is a good preparation for the future transition to the President role.

When Kevin Feige took over at Marvel Studios, he wasn't very experienced, but then he showed himself well.

All last Walt Disney Studios executives ever make movies credited as producers ? On IMDB, Eisner, Aiger, Chapek have almost no personal credits. But this does not prevent them from leading the company in different years.

Lucasfilm Presidents (era of CEO Lucas) they didn't make films either. Micheline Chau did more marketing and operational work. She had no personal producing credits.

10. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    He has experience in animation. Favreau is the real force behind the live action tv shows up to this point. We are still waiting to see how the first show turns out that Filoni has largely done on his own (and he still will have no experience in live action movie making).

And Feige had been producing films for a decade prior to working on the MCU.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Filoni's experience is chiefly as a creative; a writer, and director - why would anyone who's a fan of his want him to stop being a creative, and instead want him running the day-to-day business side of Lucasfilm?
    The president of Lucasfilm won't be writing or directing; there's no time for that.

12. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    All Star Wars TV series is a TEAM effort. Favreau is the showrunner Mando and TBoBF, but Filoni is still the show's executive producer, one in writers and episodic director. His contribution should not be ignored due to the fact that Favreau worked more on this shows. Measuring the level of participation of Filoni in projects does not cancel his participation in the projects.

If you follow your logic, then Kennedy's production contribution to new films and shows does not matter, and this is all the merit of Abrams, Johnson, Edwards, etc. I could just as well say that Kennedy's entire career is based on collaboration with Spielberg. Because Spielberg had director or EP credit on most of her productions.

But it's all a TEAM effort and contribution all directors/producers/writers was important.

And besides that, Dave was the executive producer (or at least a supervisor) of many other Star Wars shows. Filoni has been in the industry for 20+ years.

And my argument about the heads of Walt Disney Studios? More often than not, they don't have real credits as producers or executive producers. But they were in office.

13. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Kennedy put the people together who have made Star Wars content under Disney. When has Filoni done any such thing?

14. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    There is an example of Walt Disney or Marion Cooper who went from directors to studios executives. And even occupying such a position, you can bring a creative approach and creative ideas to projects. Lucas followed a similar path when from a director he became more of a businessman. Without ceasing to be a creative person at the same time.

And we have examples from music where some artists and composers have become successful label directors.

15. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    Didn't Filoni manage many people at Lucasfilm Animation? It's "mini-version" of the main Lucasfilm. This work is a help for further improvement. Everyone starts small. The fact that Kennedy was able to gather and organize everyone does not mean that her successor will not be able to do it in the future.

And at the time of the arrival of Kennedy in 2012, Filoni was more immersed in the affairs of the company and in the development of its main franchise, worked with Lucas himself since 2005.

Kennedy may be a more experienced producer in general, but she came to this company later, and was her previously Lucasfilm works associated only with Indiana Jones, but not Star Wars.

And once again, you ignored the fact that Walt Disney studio executives barely produce the studio's films personally, yet they hold the position nonetheless. Why is Filoni weaker than them in the position of a potential head of one of the divisions?

16. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I am not ignoring your argument and instead just don't find your argument to be very good.

To say someone should be able to lead a studio such as Lucasfilm who has never even produced a single movie before is a little ridiculous in my opinion.

17. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Filoni should have as much influence as possible on the shows and future movies, but I agree we don't want to remove him from the creative side.

dick rodgers likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm warming over to Filoni, CW was good.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Who should run Lucasfilm?

[​IMG]

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s that time of the week where so called leakers claim KK has been fired. These people have probably claimed she’s been fired over 150 times by now. She’s getting up there in years and I would not be surprised if she retires within the next 2-3 years. But when she does they’ll all claim she’s been fired for some reason.

21. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    If they say it enough times eventually they will be right.

KyleKartan likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    A broken clock is right once a decade and a half.

KyleKartan likes this.
  23. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Yep we aren't gonna get this lucky.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean it’s true. She’s 70 something and rich. If I were her I would retire to play with my tens of millions of dollars. Or maybe she loved her job and wants to do it until she’s dead I don’t know.

KyleKartan likes this.
  25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    When people (in pretty much any profession) have done something their entire adult lives it's very hard for them to stop. To get to the level that KK has gotten to a person almost has to be a workaholic.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023