main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who will win the 2003 NL pennant?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by General Kenobi , Mar 16, 2003.

?

Who will win the 2003 NL pennant?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Arizona Diamondbacks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Atlanta Braves

15.2%
  3. Chicago Cubs

9.1%
  4. Houston Astros

3.0%
  5. Los Angeles Dodgers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. New York Mets

3.0%
  7. Philadelphia Phillies

3.0%
  8. St. Louis Cardinals

12.1%
  9. San Francisco Giants

42.4%
  10. Other

12.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
  2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    San Francisco Giants

3. Lightsabel2

Lightsabel2 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    The Braves lost Glavine and Milwood but I still gotta believe :) GO BRAVES

4. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Lots of question marks, but I'll stick with the Braves.

5. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    Even though no team that has won 100 games the previous season and has changed 3 of its starters hasn't won 100 games the following season, I still need to go with the Braves.

6. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I'm going with the Cardinals. They have the best lineup top to bottom, along with a great defense. Their rotation is stable, and once the injuries are taken care of, I don't see anyone stopping the Cards this year.

7. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm going for my home team,the Philadelphia Phillies. Probably just wishful thinking, but with their lineup, they should be in the thick of the playoff hunt come September.

8. JediMasterBrett

JediMasterBrett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2003
    First: The San Francisco Giants are going back to the World Series to win it this year. Barry Bonds will carry this team back to the World Series with his bat and new additions to the Giants. I know we lost Kent, and some other scrubs, but I believe we will go back now that we have a legitimate leadoff man in Durham, Alfonzo a strong bat behind Bonds, Cruz batting 2nd could go 30-30. I see some competition from the Cardinals. I don't see how 3 people could have already voted for the Braves. They lost their 2nd and 3rd best pitchers and replaced them with pitchers of less caliber. Their lineup is getting older and older. So many question marks. I don't even think I could say the Braves are 100 percent going to win the NL East with the Phillies becoming 1000 percent stronger. Giants face the Yankees and win in 6.

9. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Since this year, is their last chance at the World Series before moving, I vote Montreal Expos. So what if they're playing twenty-odd "home" games in Puerto Rico this year? The all-Canadian World Series you always dreaded is here at last!

Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Expos vs Jays in 2003!

10. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    the Braves

11. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I've never been so nervous about the Braves. Ever.

Mike Hampton has some huge shoes to fill, and I sincerely hope that he does far better in Atlanta than he's done in Colorado... since Turner's not as hitter-friendly as Coors, I think it's only fair of me to expect him to do better.

Lopez has gotten in shape over the winter, and I hope he can back up what he's said about putting up better numbers.

And don't get me started about the rest of the pitching staff... Getting rid of a good chunk of the bullpen is one thing, but trading Millwood in exchange for a backup catcher is ridiculous. [face_plain]

12. JediMasterBrett

Jan 30, 2003
    Jedi Greg Maddux: You should be nervous about the Braves. I don't understand why 5 people have already picked the Braves to win the NL Pennant. Something you should know about Mike Hampton: He had a worse ERA on the road than at Coors Field. Also, unfortunately for the Braves chances as I stated earlier, they lost good pitching (Glavine, Millwood) and replaced it with mediocre pitching (Ortiz, Byrd, Hampton). Unfortunately, baseball is a game of money. When your owner can't afford to pay a star caliber player like Millwood, he has to let him go. Sometimes instead of getting nothing for him, you have to look at improving your team down the road by picking up another player, like another catcher. Also, see Tejada in Oakland this year. Oakland can't afford to give Tejada a long term contract, so he will be gone after this year. It's economics. Also, I am not in anyway trying to flame you, just create conversation about your statements. :)

13. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    The Rockies, duh.

:D :D :D :D :D

Geez, calm down. I was just kidding.

14. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I think the Giants can do it again.

15. JediMasterBrett

Jan 30, 2003
    Anybody care to have a discussion about this topic? I'd like to know why some of you have voted for the Braves when they are at their weakest. The Phillies are going to be strong this year. I just don't think the Braves can do it all this year.

16. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    san diego padres.

what? it could happen!

17. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    San Fran looks tough so I gotta go with them.

18. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Baseball is boring.

19. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    "Baseball is boring."

Hmmmmmmmmm.........i'm not familiar with that team. an expansion team perhaps?

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Actually, it is very intersting. A lot of the action is mental -- strategy. Of course, the pace is different from other sports. But that's what makes a pennant race or 9th inning dramatics so exciting. I like having a game with no clock. You can't try to run out the clock. You have to get all 27 outs. :)

21. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    cloudy...the outcome is...

22. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I'll go with my Cubbies. Everyone's gotta win sometime. Of course, the Cubs winning the pennant may be a sign of the apocolypse.

23. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Well, since I'm a Chicagoan, I have to say the Cubs, even if I'm less than confident ;). Eh, why not? They're in first place, and they just beat the Cards today...

24. Muellman

Muellman Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 9, 2001
    This is the year of the Expos, baby!!!

<quietly sobs>

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Heh, I didn't even have the Marlins on the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.