main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC "Whomever" is an object: The grammar nerd thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DavidSword79, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I don't want to derail any threads with my grammar nerd-ing. No one wants to be corrected about their use of the word "whomever" as a subject, when all they're trying to do is to make a point about Captain America. My problem is that I can't take that point seriously, or even give much thought to it, when the word "whomever" is staring me in the face, taunting me, daring me to challenge its existence!

Accordingly, this thread is a place for people to correct the grammar in posts you see around these forums, hopefully without ticking anyone off. It's meant in good fun, not to embarrass or humiliate anyone. If you see me committing any kind of grammatical error, by all means plaster it here to put me in my place. :p

To wit:

The correct pronoun here is whoever. It's the subject of the verb is. "Whoever is doing the effects did a gag."
    Whomever indicates an object, as in "the effects are done by whomever" or "I will give this gift to whomever I choose".
    http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoever.asp
    Have fun with this -- and try not to hurt anyone's feelings, whomever you choose to correct. :D

Master_Lok and slightly_unhinged like this.
  2. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    People aren't objects, they're people. And they should be treated like people.

Darth Guy and DavidSword79 like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    "Rape whomsoever you like," said the pirate captain to his crew, "but those whom you do not rape must ye cast overboard."

just practicing grammar for my second career going into business with Diggy.

Diggy and slightly_unhinged like this.
  4. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A thread to passive-aggressively call out people for grammatical errors outside of the context of the threads they're posting in doesn't strike me as the most productive idea for a thread. Want to convince me that this thread will stay open, 'cause I'm strongly leaning towards closing it.

Thanks.

Adam of Nuchtern and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Whoever locks this thread might consider reopening it in the future after a lengthy discussion among the mods or whomever.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, there's zero chance that this thread won't become a demonstration of the JCC's worst aspects.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I love this thread alot!

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I prefer a plush alot.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There people who will be effected by this.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I do have a baby Alot. I named him Garvey.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I've taken three grammar classes at university and am embarking on a fourth, so please do correct me as you see fit. =D=

Therefore, I am perfectly a-okay with being made a grammar example of. Carry on.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  14. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Grammar nazis need an outlet too, jello!

If you hold onto all the frustration with our shoddy grammar, you'll pop. Think of the mess that we'd all have to clean up if that happened.

Master_Lok and DavidSword79 like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    First World Problems, Cry More, etc. are already valid outlets :p

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    There's nothing "passive-aggressive" about my intentions here. I quoted the poster I was correcting so that she or he would be alerted to the occasion. You want to lock it, be my guest.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Shouldn't that be First Word problems in this thread's case? :D

DavidSword79, this woman has no qualms about her grammar being problematic. Fire away.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  18. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Those threads would each have been a valid outlet for my midlife crisis overshare. Are you telling me I'm a poor internet user? :p

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    if we make this the official thread for shaming anyone who makes a typo or grammar mistake in another thread, then that will take some of the heat off DavidSword79 for being a ****.

Diggy likes this.
  20. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I just don't think it would be too long before jello had to correct people's corrections and that would make me smile.

21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    One can never not have too many things over which one isn't permitted to smile.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ;) I get this all the time from professors etc. It's old hat to me. If it makes him happy to point that out, more power to him. If someone else learns from it, great. Will I remember it? Probably not. :p

I know he's not attacking me personally. Just the word I used in that post.

23. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    GrandAdmiralJello, if you do close this thread, would you mind offering an alternative to grammar nerds such as myself? Is it okay to send a thread off-topic for a post or two, in order to correct a poster after committing some horrendous mistake, such as "should of" or "whomever is"?

24. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    why the need to correct others tho? i mean, i try to write somewhat okay myself, and enjoy finding out the correct way to spell words i've previously been wrong about. but that's just for me. can't you just focus on your own grammar like everyone else? i've been to forums where people do this a lot -- correcting others, i mean. it just comes across as rude and annoying, and often ends up being used as a way to demean others in an argument instead of actually addressing their points or opinions.

mavjade , harpua, tom and 1 other person like this.
  25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    What care I don't have about grammar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.