main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC "Whomever" is an object: The grammar nerd thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DavidSword79, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    There's a sufi parable about pedantry. I quite like the way Idries Shah tells it in 'The exploits of the incomparable Mullah Nasrudin' but the gist is as follows:

"Nasrudin, ferrying a pedant across a piece of rough water, said something ungrammatical to him.
    "Have you never studied grammar?" asked the scholar.
    "No."
    "Then half of your life has been wasted."
    A few minutes later Nasrudin turned to the passenger. "Have you ever learned how to swim?"
    "No. Why?"
    "Then all your life is wasted - we are sinking!"

3. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I make it clear in the first post that this thread is not intended to embarrass or humiliate anyone. It's just for fun. Some people are grammar nerds; some aren't. Participation is by no means compulsory!

To your last sentence, the purpose of this thread is to put an otherwise irrelevant discussion into a thread of its own, so that the original thread does not get derailed.

4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    it was more directed to your last post, where you asked about sending a thread off-topic.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    "Whomever" is an object: The Grammar Nerd Nazi Thread

There. Fixed. :p

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Grammar your way out of this, Poindexter

7. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    Hence this thread. In the first post I state unequivocally that I don't want to derail threads. If the GrandAdmiral of flavored gelatine products shuts this one down, my question is: Is it ok to derail threads with grammatical asides?

8. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Vote Trump.

[​IMG]

He'll sort out the grammars. Wooooo!

[​IMG]

The guy behind the Trump sign, the one holding his right arm down...

[​IMG]

Whoah, I have gone WAY off topic. Sorry.

SuperWatto likes this.
  9. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    yes, i get that. don't get me wrong, a thread about grammar is fine by me. i guess i just don't understand the need to discuss it in other threads that are likely about other topics, since you almost made it sound like that was something you'd have to do if this thread got closed.

10. DavidSword79

Dec 27, 2015
    I try to suppress the urge to correct grammar everywhere I go! I don't want to annoy anyone, so I made this thread to give people like me a place to do so without derailing threads.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    See, to me, being a "grammar nerd" means something other than having a compulsive urge to correct people such that you'd be derailing threads all the time if this thread didn't exist. I would think that "the grammar nerd thread" offered some sort of discussion, instead of being a personal outlet for a single user who could not resist correcting how others post. This sounds less like "I enjoy grammar" and more like "I have a need to show other people how great I am at grammar" which -- I mean -- okay?

If you feel the need to correct the grammar or usage of somebody you're already replying to, then go ahead. And if there's something terrible that somebody posted, then fine -- teasing people over egregious mistakes happens from time to time. But let's not go around posting in threads (or a single dedicated thread) just for the sake of correcting posts. That's not what a messageboard is for.

So I'll be locking this thread now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.