main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm not sure how KOTOR having approximately the same level of technology as the movies is a flaw, it would definitely make sense if the Galaxy Far Far Away had smashed head first into a technology ceiling, its probably going to happen to us in reality too. Any improvements in tech would be pyrrhic at best, allowing for the use of familiar gadgets and gizmos throughout the Saga, providing inherent connections in all of the stories told hencefoth.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    A millennium long dark age took place, which generally is used to explain the lack of technological improvement.

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    If they go with the original cast, they are old enough for all that stuff to have happened. If they handled it right, hinting at certain things, or not commenting at all, the whole post RotJ EU can still exist. I'm hoping they'll go that way.

4. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Definitely. The Republic is 20,000 years old iirc, there's gotta be a technology ceiling. Plus we're talking about dissemination of tech throughout an entire galaxy with a trillion inhabitants or so. There's limited resources to produce that tech, and it takes time and money to manufacture and distribute it...
    In the same way certain planets have been colonized and recolonized throughout the galaxy's history, technology probably goes through the same ups and downs as it waxes and wanes through a period of usefulness.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    1000 years I could accept, 4000 or more is a bit steep. I have the same issue with KOTOR although I think aside from that it is awesome.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, the Republic all but collapsed in KotoR II, and then, when it recovered somewhat three centuries later, all but collapses again. How long that recovery took is anyone's guess, and then the Republic spent a millennium as a remnant government during the New Sith Wars. So, I cannot see there being an extended period if peace to allow for technological development, and then standing militaries were disbanded by the Republic... Though behemoths like Star Dreadnaughts were in development even then...

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I disagree with the notion that technology inherently gets better as time progresses. For instance there's the notion of "being nuked back to the Stone Age." But a more practical example would be how after Rome fell, much of Europe actually went backwards and wasn't as advanced as it once was. If everything is stable, then I can understand the hitting of a "technological ceiling" in a galaxy wide civilization that has exploited every source of energy with maximum efficiency. But with how often the Republic has nearly collapsed, I would almost expect a regression in technology from that ceiling. Such that Palpatine's Empire could be less technologically advanced than Revan's (which utilized Rakata technology that seems more advanced than anything since their fall - like they are the "Rome" of the SW universe and every civilization since has been in a relative dark age).

EviL_eLF likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It is, the writer wanted to use some Darth Vader like villain but GL wanted to bring the Emperor back.

9. BugRib

BugRib Jedi Master

Dec 9, 2003

Slowpokeking is right on this one.

From Wookipedia:

"The original idea for Dark Empire revolved around the Empire using an impostor in Darth Vader's armor (or a replica of it) to use as a continuing symbol of fear to help force far-flung worlds into obedience. This concept was personally shot down by Lucas himself. Instead, Lucas directed them to bring back the Emperor through cloning. It is unclear if Lucas suggested the concept himself or merely approved it when pitched (Veitch has made conflicting comments regarding this)."

So we do in fact have Lucas to blame for resurrecting the Emperor.

BTW, I quite like the idea of a resurrected Emperor. And in light of ROTS and the Darth Plageus stuff about searching for a way to escape death, it actually makes a kind of sense.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There's a pretty big difference between him coming up with the idea and him simply approving it. Without confirmation either way, that leaves a big margin for error.

From May 2008 edition of Total Film magazine:​

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."​

And yes, I'm aware of the irony that this same quote in which he "definitely" shoots down a sequel trilogy is being used in a forum for the now confirmed sequel trilogy 8-}

Alexrd likes this.
  11. BugRib

BugRib Jedi Master

Dec 9, 2003

Even if Lucas didn't come up with the idea of a cloned Emperor, he ultimately directed Vietch to put him in the story where Vietch had originally wanted to introduce a new villain. And Lucas doesn't deny that fact in the above quote, he simply states that there's much in the EU that he would have done differently and that the clone Emperor does not figure into the Skywalker arc that he (now) envisions (i.e. it conflicts with the "Chosen One" prophecy that he came up with when he wrote the PT).

I still say that Lucas is ultimately to blame for clone Emperor. Incidentally, he also ordered Kevin J. Anderson to include the force detector devices used in Jedi Search, another idea unpopular with EU fans.

12. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    I could take or leave EU..... although I do owe a dept of loyalty to EU (for which IMO) played a major role in reviving interest in SW during the early 1990s and I owe EU a dept of gratitude for giving something to get by on while waiting for the prequels (previously sequels during the early 80s) to be released in theaters.

Then again I don't want to see the new screen writers for the ST to be boggled down by significant events in EU from writing a good screenplay.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I don't necessarily see similar tech development as a bad thing because Star Wars tech is already so advanced - WE, on the other hand, still are floating around in our spaceships.
    And tech has evolved - people used to use protosabers.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, there is no confirmation that he directed him to do it, or if he simply approved it. And Vietch wanted to basically make a second Vader, which is far from an original new villain.

15. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    Oh I forgot.
    Cloned emperor bad.
    Force unleashed so so so bad. I want to swear.

Kotor ace.
    TOR. Same old repartition.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Objectively, the EU stories are not very well-written. However, I don't see why anyone should really object to mining them for movie ideas. I objected, but I didn't really mean it. Anything that works to make the movies good. There's no compelling reason to ignore EU material any more than there is any compelling reason to require or demand that the movies incorporate EU ideas.

17. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    You all do raise a point about a technology ceiling. I mean, I guess once you get to the point of having hyperdrives and light speed and all that, there's not much more for tech to advance... except for intergalactic travel. But... lets not go there because I don't really wanna see Vong in the new trilogy. lol

And BLARGH... no no NO to a ressurected Palpatine. Alright, Palpatine was an AWESOME villain and Ian M. played the role perfectly, but to bring him back would just be a slap in the face of the end of ROTJ. If any Sith were to come back, I would have it be Plagueis as a sort of Sith entity who starts influencing people to the dark side and Luke's new Jedi order and the fledgling republic would have to deal with this threat. Then it would ultimately lead to a conflict within the very Netherworld of the Force in which the Chosen One, Anakin, has to stop him once and for all and truly destroy the Sith.

Otherwise, imo, the Sith should not return and a new order of dark siders should step in. I'm just a stickler for the fulfillment of the prophecy, and yes, in the movies, destroying the Sith is mentioned at least twice as part of the prophecy.

18. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    The Young Jedi Knight series was great fun! Shame on you! ;)

19. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    "Why all the EU hatred?" Because much of it is stupid?

DarthBreezy likes this.
  20. BugRib

BugRib Jedi Master

Dec 9, 2003
    Alexrd:
    But... But... From Wookipedia:

"Instead, Lucas directed them to bring back the Emperor through cloning."

I suppose Wookipedia could be wrong...

I think what's confusing the issue is what follows:

"It is unclear if Lucas suggested the concept himself or merely approved it when pitched"

So what? Maybe Lucas didn't come up with the idea, but he ultimately directed (or "approved"--semantics, whatever) Vietch to make clone Emperor the villain rather than Vietch's prefered "impostor in Darth Vader's armor." A far cry from simply "a second Vader" as you put it (IMHO).

21. BugRib

BugRib Jedi Master

Dec 9, 2003
    DISCIPLE-OF-TYTHON:
    Agreed! And I'm not ashamed to say it. I had a lot more fun reading the Young Jedi Knight books than with the majority of the EU material.

At least there were none of Anderson's infamous superweapons (that I remember).

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  22. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    If the three Thrawn books were the ONLY EU, then there was a chance they may be mentioned. (As Zahn has said, they were to fit between ROTJ and any prospective Ep7)

Now there is so much junk, they will be treated like the rest. Which is good. As most of the Thrawn books is also terribad.

UKS

23. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    The only EU stuff I liked was "Shadows of the Empire". I consider the EU as a whole to be well-paid fan-fiction. What's the difference between any idea(s) any of us have and Timothy Zahn's? That paycheck.

Alexrd likes this.
  24. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    They are likely going to want to include the original Big 3, so it will be taking place 35-45 ABY. They could easily have it take place after the current novels without much effort (though Golden's SWORD OF THE JEDI series may have issues).

25. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012

Agreed, though even Shadows got stupid about half way through, iirc. The EU shouldnt be considered canon in any sense whatsoever.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.