main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why all the LOTF hate?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Zombie horse?

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    geez, maybe this thread needs locked. Or maybe someone can introduce a new discussion line

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of side stories in the LotF time would people like to see?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The end of the war with the Confederation.

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  5. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    An actual story that makes sense and not adapt the American civil war in Star Wars for the sake to have different type of galactic conflict.

They weren't very smart with the names of those breaking away from the Galactic Alliance as Confederation. The only thing left was actually having Galactic Alliance being known as Union.

I know it says on the title Star Wars, but I would really like, but really like a few hundred years of peace in the galaxy, where other stories are being explored, like James Bond like character and story, Gangster stories, Shinning type stories, Romantic stories, Count of Monte Cristo type stories, Ocean's 11 type of stories (Timothy Zhan started exploring this one already), smuggler stories, Scarface type of stories and so on.

What I'm saying is the beauty of Star Wars is there is room for every type story to exist, the Galaxy is that big. Instead they keep insisting in these Galactic wars, for no apparent reason, just because they sound cool during brainstorming sessions.

6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i think i see your point. the art form starw ars typically employs is a basic american art form of literature. there are many literary art forms that have never been used in this universe. We have gotten so simplified, that stories are just not very interesting anymore.

7. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012

True, but I always figured that that had a nice in-universe explanation in the form of the Ones being killed.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Hopefully this doesn't seem random. This is a long thread and I don't have the time to read through it all.

My dislike for LOTF stems from my being a fan of the NJO. It does a horrible job at handling the events from that series. I could live with it barely referencing the Vong War, but its handling of the characters is terrible. First of all Jacen's fall seemed forced and ignores his development from the NJO. He's the reason they decided not to use Zonama Sekot as a weapon, thus avoiding genocide. By the end of the war he was just as compassionate as he was in the beginning. The only difference being that his fear of the dark side doesn't drive him to inaction. That's hardly an indication of falling to the dark side. But LOTF uses the events of the Vong War as an explanation for his fall. Which is out of line with previous characterizations. To make matters worse, they blame this on Vegere. That's entirely unbelievable. True her training was cruel, but she wasn't Sith. Her philosophy was twisted, but it was closer to the views of the Jedi than it was to the Sith. In addition, she professed loyalty to the Old Jedi Order, while talking to Luke. Vergere even went so far to criticize him for allowing the Jedi to marry (I can't see a Sith, from her era especially, doing this). Yes, she could have been lying, but I don't think that was the case. Some of what she said went too far for a lie and none of what she said could possibly have made Luke trust her more. Overall, they took what was a complex character and simplified her motives to the point where she became one dimensional.

Then there's Jaina. In the NJO she is an efficient piolet and fighter. She was even an interesting character. Pots NJO, she becomes very bland and LOTF seems to forget her skills in combat. In the NJO she fought a species that could not be sensed with the force. Yet in LOTF she could not fight a Mandelorian without using the force. Also, if I remember correctly, in some of the books she was potrayed as fairly spoiled. Again, that is not in line with her previous characterization.

Lastly, there is the issue of deaths. True many died in the NJO, but in that series most of them had meaning. Such deaths also fit with the overall idea of the series. By LOTF it almost feels like they decided to kill main characters for the sake of it. Which eventually stops increasing the intensity of the plot and just begin to feel meaningless and don't fit well within the overall story. For example Mara Jade. The reason given for her death is that Jacen needs to kill someone he cares about to become Sith. The only problem is that we have never heard of this before. And no it can't be a new piece of information that we now have. Prior to and after LOTF we have seen many people become Sith without killing someone they cared about. True they may do this after they become Sith, but that's beside the point. I think that it was only a perquisite for Jacen Solo. So her death ends up feeling pointless and makes little sense. To make matters worse; she's killed, by a poisen dart, after winning the fight with Jacen. For such a good character, this death is pathetic. In addition, it cheapens the antagonist by making him appear weak. when telling a story the death of a main character should advance the plot or character development. In LOTF they do not do this in a meaningful way.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Bit of a necro, I know, but I read this over on the SWTOR forums and I suddenly feel a little queasy.

At least he said NJO was worth reading, but still... [face_sick]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Doesn't he mean he was playing football?

Gamiel, DelRiego and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Ah yes, this thread.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

i agree. It is more a tragedy than anything. But the books were a fun read except for Sacrifice and Invincible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.