main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Stepping down would be just as bad as giving in to an unreasonable demand.

2. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, the Air Traffic Control system seems to have done okay, so I'd say keep protesting.

3. Shelob

Shelob Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2003
    I'm conflicted between thinking "Wow that's pretty cool that some mods took a stand against something" and "Wow that's the lamest thing ever, it's just the internet".

4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    (If this is what I think it is)

I think resignation would probably be the most principled stand.

Else it's seems like a case of, "I am protesting, but not quite enough to make life uncomfortable for me or to remove my hard earned powers."

Which, really, should be a case of "Just grin and bare it."

Having said that, I would personally have resigned on this issue; So you have my sympathy's.

UKS

5. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm sure more than a few could imagine what kind of chaos this place would be thrown into if they all resigned over this. While it might be the principaled thing to do, it would also punish everyone else.

Personally, I think they should make the argument public. I think about 99.9% of posters will come down on the mods' side.

It's like the freakin' Patriot Act. Not to mention all the trouble that could be caused if the wrong people got to the wrong place...

6. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm sure more than a few could imagine what kind of chaos

Exactly the point. Mods here care too much about the JC to let it fall like that.

7. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    In the current situation, resignation would simply be giving up. As regular users, you may not care about the JC that much. That's why you're not mods and most likely will never be mods. It's only a message board, true, but we're only protesting on a message board so it's hardly out of proportion.

8. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Hehehe. The idea of messageboard chaos makes me giggle.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's like the freakin' Patriot Act. Not to mention all the trouble that could be caused if the wrong people got to the wrong place...

Funny you should mention that... ;)

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"In the current situation, resignation would simply be giving up."

Or, from a reasonable perspective, acknowledging owners' rights.

AYBABTU?

11. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    As regular users, you may not care about the JC that much. That's why you're not mods and most likely will never be mods.

That is quite possibly the most arrogant and self-agrandizing statement I've seen in here. And that's saying a lot.

12. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm serious. If you would honestly resign over this issue, you simply don't care about the JC enough. We're still here because we're trying to make this place good for you, but hey, if you want the mods to resign over it and have to promote suckup mod wannabes, go for it. :)

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Or, from a reasonable perspective, acknowledging owners' rights.

Oh, their rights are fully acknowledged. No-one has a problem with their rights.

I would imagine you only know half the story, but don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations.

14. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"if you want the mods to resign over it and have to promote suckup mod wannabes, go for it"

Hey, let's don't pretend that hasn't always happened to some extent.

"I would imagine you only know half the story, but don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations."

And since when have I let it stop me? You may also note the sweeping generalizations contained within one of Hawk's posts above, or are you being selective?

AYBABTU?

15. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I would imagine you only know half the story, but don't let that stop you from making sweeping generalisations.

Ahhh, if we only didn't know what you thought we didn't know.

Oh, and I seem to rememeber a certain head admin being called a "suckup mod wannabe" or close to it before. He seems to have done okay. Seriously, I think you guys are far more expendable than you make yourselves out to be.

16. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    There's a certain site owner I'm sure you'd love to meet, Jim.

17. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I think I might just do that. If you guys hate him maybe he's got some redeemable qualities about him.

18. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Seriously, I think you guys are far more expendable than you make yourselves out to be.

Guess that depends on whether or not you want to be part of a post-purge TF.N ...

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > or are you being selective?

Yes. I was answering you.

I wasn't aware I had to pass comment on all preceding posts.

20. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Don't worry, you aren't expected to.

21. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Incidentally, if you do more than we think you know, you won't be able to say it here since that would be leaking MS information and we'd have to ban you. :)

22. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    As I haven't mentioned any of it to anyone after I found out, I don't see how that has any bearing on anything, other than to be a sad attempt at a threat.

23. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm conflicted between thinking "Wow that's pretty cool that some mods took a stand against something" and "Wow that's the lamest thing ever, it's just the internet".

Some Mods and Admins spend a large portion of their time on this site (more hours than I care to count) to ensure its a fun place for everyone to be. Its all volunteer. Internet or not, volunteer or not , its still a job we all enjoy.

On the Fanforce Side of things its not just the internet, these are groups that function in real life that goes deeper than just the internet. Charity events, social gatherings etc.
    So standing up for something you believe cant be lame.

24. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Or, from a reasonable perspective, acknowledging owners' rights.

It's not a question of rights. It's a question of what's right for the JC.

25. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Incidentally, if you do more than we think you know, you won't be able to say it here since that would be leaking MS information and we'd have to ban you.
    And we all know that'd be a terrible thing.

Leaking mod squad information! How ridiculous!

Personally, I think there should be capital punishment for something like this. Especially for leaking something as silly as what this issue is about.

EDIT:
    Quoting what I'm replying to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.