main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Are The PT Films criticized? (catch-all thread)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    To me that's irritating. Up until 25. 8. there was a topic The Official ''List Your Complaints About TFA'', then - it's closed. Explanation - it's 18 months since the movie was released. I'm not complaining about that, not even about forbidding the words like Mary Sue or janitor, OK, close it, I said what I wanted in TFA section, but it's been 18 years since TPM was released and 12 since ROTS hit the cinemas, and those movies are still being complained about, criticized and, well, bashed, in this section. Mostly by people who rank TFA above the PT and evade any word of comparison between the PT and TFA.

2. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    And the same isn't true for TFA, R1, the OT, the TV shows, the games, or the novels in their respective sections?

Martoto77 likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    That's the point of what Visivious just said, TFA no longer has a 'criticism' thread, and while R1 does have one, it's less than 8 months old at this point. The PT is the only other section with a dedicated criticism thread.

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Visivious Drakarn There are still plenty of threads in the TFA board where you can discuss your complaints about various aspects. Nobody is prohibited from complaining.

I was surprised to find that general thread closed but I can see admin's point. Perhaps after TLJ is released then the added dimension to the ST might prompt a continuance of that thread, with new perspectives.

There's plenty of backhanded OT criticism in threads in the PT board too.

Nobody is really hard done by unless they just don't have the imagination to find a valid forum for their complaint and need a "complaint" thread. Which is not the same as a "why is there criticism" thread, incidentally.

5. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Well, there is a whole thread in the OT section dedicated to discussing plot holes. And I don't think this thread is really even comparable to the R1 and TFA criticism threads. This one is three pages, and the other two are well over that number. Even the "Why are the PT films criticized?" thread doesn't have the page count of the TFA complaints thread.

Darth Downunder and Martoto77 like this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Exactly. There are several threads in the OT section for discussing flaws & perceived problems. As it should be for the older movies. Also fair enough for this to be restricted for the new films, for now anyway. The site doesn't want new fans of these films coming here & getting put off by rampant & widespread complaining. Rest assured, in a few years the shackles will be released on those films, just as it is with the OT & PT.

Martoto77 likes this.
  7. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Why were those terms forbidden? They're not obscene.

Oh, I think I know. The TFA fans objected to them, right? And they've got to be kept happy at all costs. It's just we stinking prequel fans who have to put up with much worse stuff being said about our movies. Also, TFA was put out by Disney, which is sacrosanct.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Banning *ary *ue would've shut down the entire EU forum back in the day. Interesting how things have progressed.

9. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I do not think that there is an inherent issue with other forums having their own criticism threads, and I think that it's probably for the best. It's fair and it does make a good number of sense. Although, I didn't quite understand why there was another PT criticism in the saga forums if there is a universal agreement on same topics=Thread Merge.

Personally, my preference with the rules are here. Can be incredibly hard to take the discussions from here to the TFA boards since they are less lenient.

10. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Damn son..

Never mind, TFA closed their criticism thread.

Heh....

11. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    I thought the whole TFA forum was closed given the amount of traffic it gets these days. @};-

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ouch!

So that was fun, everyone letting some steam out. But you guys and girls know what I've got to ask now.

Back to the discussions of Anakin's whining vs. Luke's whining vs. Finn's out-of-breathness, or whatever you all want to discuss next. Just make it about the films, and not the boards.

Thank you.

PS welcome back quantum :)

13. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Deleted (didn't see get back on topic request didn't load until after posted)

heels1785 likes this.
  14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
  15. X Wing

X Wing Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2016
    Any film deserves criticism, good or bad......part of freedom of speech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Martoto77 likes this.
  16. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Anakin is whiny, but no more so than Luke. And it makes sense for their respective story arcs.

Luke whines more in ESB than he does in ANH -- and that was directed by the faultless Irvin Kershner rather than that...untalented hack, what's his name, the one with the beard, the "contributor to SW"...oh, yeah, Lucas.

Oh, and I'm not the only one who thinks that about Luke's whining vs. Anakin's whining.

wobbits and DementedMeerkat like this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I believe MS was banned bcs it's a gender-specific dig that some people found offensive. It also took off as an annoying meme that some were using constantly in every single post, just to antagonize. It deserved to be banned. As proof that it had nothing to do with defending the ST, people were still allowed to articulate in an intelligent way why they think Rey may be overpowered etc. If they can't do that without resorting to dumb & lazy slogans then IMO they're not worth listening to. By the way, I recall back in the PT era that some fans who thought HC's performance was wooden latched onto the "clever" nickname of Manakin. It also took off as a repetitive annoying meme & it was also banned once it became disruptive. So I can't see how the level of stench omitted by one fan group vs another has any relevance.

EDIT: Apologies heels1785. Moving on from this issue...

Martoto77 likes this.
  18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Last I checked, there were dozens of open criticism threads on every board, including TFA's.

19. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    Eh? Dozens? That's inaccurate. TFA only had one criticism thread. Well, before they closed down the dome... PT forums have more(including the saga forums). Used to be a lot till this merging of threads starting happening.

"It has been over 18 months since TFA was released in theatres, so we feel that there's been more than enough time for posters to discuss general complaints about the film. We're closing this thread with the hope that more specific discussions are continued in the appropriate threads here.

Locking."

20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Look "criticism" up in that book that gives definitions of words, in alphabetical order.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I asked you all to move on, nicely.

Discuss in PMs with each other, if you want. It has no place here.

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I still believe the whole Chosen One, miraculous conception angle was a mistake. And that Anakin should've been an endearing, every man type character.

23. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Why do you think that? (Just curious. Not being dismissive or anything here.)

24. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Because it makes our hero more easy to identify with. In general I think special status should be earned, rather than pre-destined.

WebLurker likes this.
  25. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    For me the Chosen One status helped amplify the "mundane" drama in the form of Anakin's sense of isolation and longing. I find myself more engaged with his story on a level of individual emotion than I do with Luke or Rey (thus far). Very glad Lucas chose a confused youth mold for Anakin rather than an every man.